Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

I missed the drop. :'(
I was fantasizing over my part list and looking at stock, instead of working, and saw them up nearly the moment they went live. Still got queued and missed out on CPU and GPU.

I haven't built a PC from scratch since like 2011 and this has been a miserable experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

sean10mm posted:

How the gently caress are video cards STILL 100% out of stock? And all marked up $100-200 on top of that?

:wtc:
Supply shortages and crypto mining incentivizing bots and scalpers to snag up all available stock. RTX 3060 is dropping tomorrow if you care to get in on it.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

South posted:

Should I have my wife hang out at BestBuy till it opens at 11am? Legit asking. The only time I've waited outside a store on launch day was the SNES launch a few years ago.
I haven't even heard of anyone having in store stock besides Micro Center but I don't know how it works on launch day versus a restock.

You have to be on a stock tracking discord or similar or be refreshing the page constantly and get lucky to find anything. Restocks sell out within a minute sometimes even seconds.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I was refreshing pages on Best Buy and got the add to cart button before any stock notifications got sent out. Still got queued and told to gently caress off after a few minutes. I'm guessing at this point I will never be able to get a 30 series and have to hope supply can meet demand by the next generation cards.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Does "letting Chrome be an even bigger resource hog" count as another use case? :) Point taken.

Does 4x 8GB make any sense? Are there gains to be made from parallelization, or is that all virtualized/abstracted away now? (I'm old)
Not an expert on this, but from discussion I’ve seen here and elsewhere the sweet spot to be in is to have two ranks in each memory channel of the motherboard. So that could mean two dual rank sticks or four single rank sticks. You’d have to check the specs of the memory you’re looking at to see which they are.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Gonna use my tax return to finally update my CPU, mobo and case. Rest of PC is fine (I think, so below). Looking for feedback. Gaming is the primary focus of the rig.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz ($199.99 at NewEgg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard ($114.99 at NewEgg)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 (pre-existing)
Storage: 1TB SSD (pre-existing)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White ATX Case ($89.99 on NewEgg)
Power Supply: EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 600 BQ, 80+ Bronze 600W (pre-existing)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB (pre-existing)

Total: $404.97

Is my PSU in need of an upgrade? Bought it late last year. Any thoughts on the case and mobo would also be appreciated. I can spend more if I need to, including a PSU upgrade.

edit: looking closer and Im not sure that Mobo has a displayport output... which would be a deal-breaker...
You will need new DDR4 RAM with that CPU and Motherboard. If your PSU is only a year old 600 W will be fine for a simple build. I tossed everything into a PC part picker list and the estimated TDP of the system is reported as 284 W

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

edit: ^^ yup, I'm a moron

Thank you both, did not even consider that. Updating my list...

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz ($199.99 at NewEgg)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) ATX Gaming Motherboard ($139.99 at NewEgg)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) ($86.99 at NewEgg)
Storage: 1TB SSD (pre-existing)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White ATX Case ($89.99 on NewEgg)
Power Supply: EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 600 BQ, 80+ Bronze 600W (pre-existing)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB (pre-existing)

Total: $516.96
That should work fine but what is your overall budget? The GPU is the hardest thing to get right now and you're set there. For $100 more you could get a 5600X and a few dozen more can get you a more modern B550 motherboard along with it. There has also been a refresh of the Meshify C case recently. I bought a Meshify C right before they announced it and it's a fine case, if a bit hard to work in once all the bits are crammed inside.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Rinkles posted:

In practical terms, what's the difference between a 3600 and 5600x?
It's 2000X better!

I don't have any benchmarks to pull out of my pocket so I'd just be googling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Is there any end to this CPU shortage in sight? I'm just trying to build an entry level business desktop with integrated graphics. :saddowns:
Not sure what you're looking for specifically, but I've been able to freely add a 5600X to my cart at Newegg for several days for MSRP. That's a vast improvement over just a month ago when I was building out.