Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I am currently doing research for my PC build. I think the RTX 3070 (when they come out) would be the level of price I am looking at for a GPU. Is that going to be good enough for 4K gaming if I upgrade my monitor to one that supports 4K?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gearman posted:

It really depends on what you want for frame rate and settings. It'll probably be good enough for 60fps at most graphics settings, but no one really knows yet.
I see articles saying that the RTX 3070 is above the performance of the 2080 TI which was a top of the line card in the last gen and capable of 4K.

I am not planning to actually have everything together for a build until the end of the year so I am not in a hurry. I would rather have something that can last a long time. My current PC I have had since 2013 but I have replaced most of the components since purchase. It appears that my current problem is that the GPU I have is being bottlenecked by the CPU, which is older and one thing I never changed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Does RAM above 16 GB have a major impact if you have a good processor/GPU and are running games on an SSD? Like I have 32GB in my current PC but I'm guessing that is probably overkill.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

In independent benchmarking, for some more intense games (especially ones that have heavy RTX) the 3080 barely scraped by 60FPS. We don’t know yet what the 3070 will do, but if you’re gonna drop cash for a nice 4K monitor you should probably spend the extra $200 on a 3080.
Thanks for letting me know, I may just end up doing that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not sure if this has come up, but is a mid tower size fine if you are just putting in a GPU and maybe one regular SSD and a NVME SSD? I haven’t really looked to see if the 3070 or 3080 will fit yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ok thanks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah i plan to double check that when the 3070 comes out. I would think it would be smaller than the 3080.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Since I've already been asking questions and doing research I will just go ahead and post the request here

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web browsing and gaming, that's about it[
What's your budget? I am looking at the $1500 range, which is kind of where the PC Part Picker Magnificent AMD Build is at. I will likely not be finishing putting everything together with this system until the end of this year, as I am waiting for GPU availability and I have more money at the end of the year. I plan to buy some stuff from holiday sales (just got the SSDs today)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? My current monitor is 27'' 1080p and 60 hz. I plan to upgrade to a 4k monitor but that is probably going to be secondary to actually building the system. Ultimately I want to be able to play games in 4K by next year.

Some general ideas/questions for the build-

-Mid tower case with at least some front USB ports.
-For the MOBO (which I have the least knowledge of), possibly something with onboard WiFi capability (but this is not a dealbreaker). It also needs to have two 2280 M2 slots.
-I just bought two of the 1 TB NVME WD drives today so I have storage covered already. I am not really bringing anything over from my old computer as everything is getting pretty old. I have a portable SSD that I bought which I will keep, but that is probably it.
-I don't think I will need to be overclocking anything, so with that in mind, any suggestions about what kind of fans I would need in the case would be helpful as that is another area I don't know too much about. The one they recommend in the build below is out of stock and I don't know if there is a better alternative, or if I should just wait until it comes back into stock.
-Unsure about whether I need to do a 3080 or if the 3070 will be enough. I know we don't know enough about the 3070 yet so that is kind of up in the air for right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/LRxFf7/magnificent-amd-gamingstreaming-build

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

sean10mm posted:

For 4K, 100% get the RTX 3080. Like it's not even a contest IMO.

e: That list has a lot of dumb poo poo, let me take a crack at it.

Maybe something like this? The 5600X might be a better pure gaming CPU for the same price once it's released. Though really a 3600 is probably not giving up much at 4K since the higher the resolution, the less the CPU matters (within reason.)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/17.html - a 3600 has 98.2% of the 4K performance of a 10900K lmao

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($700.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1503.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 20:04 EDT-0400

For a bit more you can go with 2x16GB RAM and/or 3600 CL16 speed RAM, go with a NH-U14S CPU cooler, or wait for Zen 3 and just throw more money at your CPU for giggles. Alternately you can leave off the CPU cooler and use the stock AMD cooler if you don't mind it being louder. You can upgrade the SSD to like a SN750 or SX8200 Pro or P31 Gold and shave uh a few % off your load times?
Thanks for the info, I appreciate the help and I will take this into account when I start to buy the parts

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm planning to get a new PC soon (basically once zen3 benchmarks come out and I decide what I want).

Reinstalling all my software and setting things up right seems like a giant PITA - is it possible to just take my boot drive and stick it in a new PC and have everything work?
I was going to ask the same question. I have a Windows 10 PC and I would be going to Windows on another PC

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So probably better to start with a fresh copy of Windows and then move over the files that you need?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That’s kind of what I expected but good to confirm

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Any hot tips on a 3080/3070 hookup??
3070 isn’t out yet

The 3080s are going in and out of stock but there is very little supply right now. Nvidia is saying to expect more soon but that’s about it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

IGN tested an RTX 3070, and they determined that the performance was on par or slightly above that of the RTX 2080 TI

https://www.ign.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-review

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If they are actually available I may just buy one instead of waiting for the 3080 to be in stock.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well I’m trying to get a 3070 and it looks like nothing is available

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Newegg site 404’d

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I keep trying to check out on Best Buy and it keeps having issues

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve gotten into Best Buy checkout a few times and then it just says it’s no longer available

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well now Best Buy is saying sold out. So it seems like I struck out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good job there NVidia

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess Amazon didn’t get any?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I searched Amazon multiple times for 3070 around 9 AM and nothing ever showed

Did anyone manage to get one?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

God Microcenter’s site is crawling

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t think MC has any left

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes just good luck finding either of them

Nvidia needs to wait until the last minute to announce them putting more stock for sale, because when they give a bunch of advance notice, the resellers are ready to go and nobody else can get them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrDork posted:

I don't think NVidia has ever said anything about when cards are going to be dropped? Some retailers have, but that's on them.

The 3070 launch actually seemed to have pretty decent inventory, so hopefully that means they'll be able to keep it up over the next few weeks and most people will be able to get one with a little effort without waiting months.
They sent me an email last night saying that the cards were going live at 9 AM this morning

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Right, they are not notifying on restock.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Can anyone tell me what the max size of a GPU in this case would be? I think it says the case is 400 mm long but I don't know if that means the actual internal part of the case or if it means the actual full length of the case (including the part that is not part of interior).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/crqBD3/phanteks-eclipse-p300a-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec300atg_bk01

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

drat I missed that, but thanks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, I went with the 3700X and am very happy. I also upgraded from a i5-2400 so it was a major upgrade where, for you, it's more incremental.

Especially if the price drops, the 3700X is the better version of what's in the new consoles, so it should be solid for the next 5-10 years. It also leaves an upgrade path available with Zen3 if I feel constrained in the future. If you can put that money towards a better GPU, it will likely net you more overall performance than going to Zen3, tbqh.
I'm still kind of debating whether to go with the 3700X or the Zen3 equivalent. I'm probably just going to go with the Zen3 if I can get one, because that way I don't have to think about another CPU for awhile.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Do we have an idea as to what time the Zen3 processors go live tomorrow

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m not seeing the Zen3 processors live yet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I ordered a 5600x on Amazon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was on Newegg at 9 and I never saw the thing pop up until it was sold out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m glad I was able to snag a 5600x for the same price as the 3700x since that will last me until I decide to do another build

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was recommended the ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO for an AMD 3700X build, would that still be fine for the new 5600X? I am assuming that should be sufficient since I am not planning on OCing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just look at this fuckin thing

https://twitter.com/KarlTowns/status/1324836091648634880?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Aquila posted:

The 3400G system I'm building for my nephew is coming together, but I realized the Asrock Pro4 I'm using doesn't have wifi onboard. What's the best option for adding Wifi to a desktop pc?
I have a USB dongle thing and that works fine