Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's a fools errand to chase USB specs right now.. the chore of finding a motherboard and case combo that can get you a single USB-C port would be enough to make you want to give up.

There's also the new complication of USB4 being announced last year so that's gonna start showing up on motherboards late this year. Upside, it'll maybe make thunderbolt easier (possible?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I'm just not sure I agree with them anymore, back when 250 SSDs were way expensive it made good sense but you can get a 1tb NVME for like a hundred bucks. 1tb seems like more than enough to me even if you're downloading a ton of games.

Depends how new the game is. When 4k ready assets started getting added to games, install sizes inflated a lot. A 1TB drive is definitely "enough" but it's not going to be housing every game in your Steam library. I'd push for a 2TB if it's the only storage available, just for the breathing room.

100% agree that spinning platters inside a desktop makes little sense these days, nvme all the way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Agent355 posted:

The MOBO I ordered has 2 nvme slots, I figure if I really need more space after I fill 1tb up I'll just buy a second. I really like the free'd up cable space of not even mounting a sata ssd.

It's a b450 w/ 6 sata slots, but each m2 takes up 2 of them if it's used but even then 2 NVME drives still leaves 2 sata slots and I could go splurge on a 2tb sata SSD or w/e.

My mind is just boggling at these peoples still suggesting a HDD nowadays.

The real challenge with going all nvme is hunting down a nice case with zero drive bays. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next year? The disruption to the global supply chains has been immense.

Most stuff seems generally available, stock refreshes every day or so and sells out. So if you see a thing you want you gotta pounce on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Why is the meshify case the case of choice for a lot of people here? Does it have the best airflow or something?
Does it have a way of repelling dust the way my 750D airflow case does?

Looks cool, no external drive bay, the internal bays are hidden out of the air path.

I don't know if it's been tested to be superior to everything out there but it checks a lot of the right boxes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Go for cloth diapers, scrubbing poo out of a cotton rectangle could be your penance for having a boss gaming rig.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always update my PC mid flips too. Every system I've owned for about the last 20 years has alternated between intel and amd because something else is new and trendy at that particular time.

Same for video cards, alternated nvidia and ati each generation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verviticus posted:

what’s missing?

For me, usb-c. The spec is still a long ways off from mass adoption but I think it's reasonable for enthusiast hardware to adopt it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verviticus posted:

thats just in the front, right? the motherboard can/will still have usb-c on the back, or am i mixing something up

Right, usb-c on the front is super cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eatenmyeyes posted:

Requesting absolute cheapest off the shelf box for playing Destiny 2 with all presently available DLC. Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Destiny runs on anything with a video card. I have a i5-4570 (launched in 2013) based system with a radeon 7900 and the game runs at 60@1080p just fine.

4k probably isn't an option without a bit of part juggling but if HD is all you need, anything on the market right now will work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw some angry rant on reddit the other day accusing ASUS of deliberately sabotaging their AMD product lines, so perhaps taking purchasing advice from a single data point is a bad idea. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sean10mm posted:

OK, I decided to go full stupid with this just for fun and still couldn't hit $3k. Guess my tastes are too plebeian lol :haw:

Make up the gap with a 3 year service contract! You could easily charge $8k for that system!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any suggestions for the best video card that this motherboard supports? Under $300 preferably.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G41-PC-Mate/Gallery

(LGA1150, pcie gen 3, yes I know it's old and I know everyone is going to suggest throwing it out and buying new and you're technically right, but it's not in the cards right now so try to contain yourself!)

I'm thinking GeForce GTX 1660 Super, but gpu model numbers confuse me a lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

The amd rx570 is cheaper and the difference isnt worth it according to most reviews i have read

Thanks for mentioning this, just for having something to compare to. It's certainly has the right numbers, but the 1660S is claimed to be a quieter and use less power, which seems beneficial on an aging power supply. So I got some deciding to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They wouldn't be very good expansion slots if you couldn't swap stuff in and out as needed.

Just do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol what the hell, amazon. The video card I ordered showed up on the porch in its own box. I guess technically it's a totally acceptable box to ship something in, but having something on my porch that says GIGABYTE GEFORCE in giant white letters is probably not the best way to prevent theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone at the fullfillment center was just being a lazy gently caress, every amazon package I've ever ordered has come in a brown amazon box. This time? There was no sealing whatsoever.. no shrink wrap, no tape. As it had been back ordered someone down in Lexington lifted it out of the truck it showed up on, slapped a shipping label on it, and tossed it in another truck to be delivered to me.