Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I'm looking to upgrade my game playing PC into a game programming PC, so I assume I wanna get as much cores for my buck as possible. Here's my current build (from Speccy):

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 801MHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150)
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 TI WINDFORCE 2X 8GB GD5
Case: Corsair 550D Midtower ATX
Power Supply: Corsair CX650 Modular 650W 80+ Bronze

What new parts do you recommend? Are Threadrippers worth it for professional use or better stick to Ryzen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I'm looking to upgrade my PC, the focus is programming / gaming, so getting the most out of the processor and memory. Based on previous feedback, does this look alright?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($492.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)

I don't change parts a lot or mess with OC, so I'm aiming for something that's pretty good in stock config, can last a couple years with only minor changes.

If I have some budget left over I might replace the case, any good recommendations for simple flat designs with good cable management and air cooling? It gets pretty hot in the summer here so I figure I want as much airflow for the CPU/GPU as possible.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Looking to get my first NVMe drive but I can't really figure out what I should be looking for besides price. Judging by this thread the most popular are the Sabrent Rocket 1TB and HP EX920 1 TB, any particular reason?