Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I asked advice here, well last year this time. :v: But this time I'm actually going to do it.

Budget: ~€1000-1200 max inc shipping and ~€50 for assembly in a local (good) store. The Netherlands.
Goals/Wishes: Great FPS (60) on 1080p for action games with a lot of bling, or decent fps (40+) at 1440p. I mostly play strategy games and stuff on the slower end of the spectrum though. I have both monitors available.
Special: I hate my current PC sounding like a wind turbine, and I have a lot of coil whirring with it. So I'd spend a bit more for a much less loud build.

I have my eyes on the following, prices haven't fully updated for BF yet in my country.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (~200)
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX (~100)
Cooler: I still have a Scythe Mugen Infinity that works great, but these ain't expensive so might get a new one.
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (~70 bux)
GPU: No Idea, I want an Nvidia card though if possible.
Power: I have a modular 650W Kingston one, open to buying a new one though.
Drive: Crucial P1 1TB ( ~100 bux)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 600 black ( ~90)
I will also be adding in 2-4 regular (decent rpm) old drivers for storage that I already bought on sale, they are all new in box ofc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

What (Nvidia) Card would best match the AMD Ryzen 5 3600X? I think I figured out all the others parts. :)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

1440p or 1080p?
1440 for mostly "slower" games. probs putting ingame resolution to 1080p when using my 4K TV as screen.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Okay so how does this look?
Giving actual prices below, the build is ~€100 cheaper than this link: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/gy9k9G

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (~205)
- ASRock B450M PRO4 (~75)
- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (~85)
- Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (~105)
- KFA2 GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB (339)
- Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower (~54)
- Be quiet! Pure Power 11 400 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX (~55)

Assume 40 ish bux for a cooler.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Aurora posted:

i dont particularly trust myself to put together another computer so is there like a good trusted website that will put together a computer with parts chosen by you or anything. i don't want to just buy a prebuilt
Try your local PC store, the one near me is quite pricey for (mostly periperals) but they do build/assembly+3 year build warrenty for 70 bux. Personally I think 70 bux to make sure I don't gently caress up, and to save myself all the stress to be worth it considering it's 800+ investment anyway. :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

It's me again, being in GPU dilemma for a month now.
For a €150,- price difference, 1660 Super or 2060 Super. I narrowed it down to those two, I think.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Zedd posted:

It's me again, being in GPU dilemma for a month now.
For a €150,- price difference, 1660 Super or 2060 Super. I narrowed it down to those two, I think.

Ebola Dog posted:

To perhaps add to the dilemma you can get a 5700 xt for the same price or less than a 2060 super unless you really want nvidia.
I have multiple reasons but I'd prefer Nvidia due to past experiences.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

What monitor do you have?
Some crappy-ish 1080p one, planning to get a Free/G-sync one down the line this year, most likely QuadHD. Just no good sales / prices on them atm.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Got all my parts and starting assembly tomorrow :dance:
Is there any reason for me to make a like ~100 gig partition on my (1TB) SSD to tame OS? I am upgrading from W7 and that one ate hdd space like nothing by the end.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

charity rereg posted:

IMO no, there's really no reason to reinstall Windows 10 regularly like past editions of Windows, and as long as you stay up to date each major feature release (the twice yearly ones where the version number changes) are essentially a total refresh of the OS. Keeping data on separate partitions does nothing to prevent data loss in case of drive failure. Win10 also has a built in "reset" feature which keeps all of your data but nukes the OS and apps.

If you really wanted to go down this route it's cheap enough that I'd just recommend buying a 256 or 512GB SSD for the boot disk.

Okay thanks, I suspected as much but well you helpfull Goons just know a lot.
All my parts arrived today, starting the build soon. :dance: I really like the case, it's so small compared to the beast I currently have. :3:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I finally started assembling my system and so far it's going quite well, except I can't get the MOBO power to sit flush into the socket/slot. How much force can I put on this thing. :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

piL posted:

That would make sense. It was the first time I've plugged in a hard drive that wasnt a SATA or a ribbon cable and it was the only portion of the experience that felt alien.

If you did what I did, you were trying to connect an 4x2 PCI-e power cable into an 4x2 Motherboard power slot but what the motherboard wants is the combined 3x2 and 1x2 cables. By now you've probably solved it and moved on, given up, or broke the plastic on your motherboard.
It was the main (24iirc) connector, but that had a little side-split (much like the CPU power one). And that little split-off tab has a nook to click into the main part that I din't do in the right order.
Currently installing W10 on it. :toot: It's so small and silent. :3:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I want to run this setup:

Main monitor (HD for now, QHD eventually) to run games and poo poo.
Side monitor (HD screen) - no games on this one.
TV Monitor (4K) - Shows same as main monitor.

Any things that would prevent me from that? The TV wouldn't always be turned on for obvious reasons.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Deanut Pancer posted:

I do exactly this (previously with a 970 and now with a 2060) and it works fine.
I set up the Main+Side monitors first, with the TV disabled. Then set up TV with Main+Side disabled.
Once this is in place, you can easily switch between Main+Side and TV using the WIN+P shortcut. This gives you an easy way to cycle between the different sets of outputs.
Excellent, thank you!

I learned about [Win]+P today, I assume that is new in Windows10 like a lot of stuff I never knew existed since I was still on 7. :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

So y'all helped me a lot over the last months and I am happy as hell with my new PC.
Which brings me to my old PC, it's still decent enough but with eyes on maybe cheering up a friend/associate in the coming weird times what would a cheap/decent path be to get a bit more punch out of my old rig?

Link to current setup: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/zTRrtp
TL;DR : i5 2500k with good cooler, can be OC'd again after I clean the case. 8gig DDR3 ram and a very outdated videocard.

I have a 500 gig sata SSD laying around that id use as OS/main drive for it. What videocard would be a good upgrade for a (slightly OC'd) version of this processor so that both CPU and GPU match eachother in not outright bottlenecking eachother?

Zedd fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 28, 2020

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I have a really stupid question:
I still haven't activated my MXP profile and i'd like to get around to it, however if my PC boots from fastboot I obviously don't get the chance; but when it does a normal/hardboot by the time my keyboard/monitor pick up input it's already in windows. How can you make W10 boot to bios?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I have a wired Corsair one with pretty lights and a BIOS mode switch, ill gently caress around with that and see if it works. tyvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

double nine posted:

i'll take a look and ask him whether he wants bigger oompf or same performance for cheaper prices. Thank you for your quick feedback. I do want to note part of the costs are the MS office/windows 10 packages, which I don't see in your setup and cost ~300 euros.

edit: which could easily be financed by taking a less expensive monitor so nbd.

Go to SA Mart and buy legit W10Pro and Office keys for like 30 bucks combined please.