Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Hey guys! So I've finally convinced my mom to let me build her a new desktop PC to replace her insanely slow laptop that shes had the last few years. I came here for advice on building my current PC at the end of 2015, still going strong! Mom would like a new laptop, but isn't opposed to a desktop. As far as I know she has never once taken one of her laptops out of the house, just moved it into the living room while she watches TV. I have never opened up the guts of a laptop in my life, and feel like I would have an easier time working on a simple desktop for her. The last two laptops shes had were the absolute cheapest ones you could buy at walmart, much to my dismay.. This time around I've convinced her to put 200$ towards this project, and I will pay for the rest.

I'm not very computer savy, if it wasn't for someone in this forum picking out all the parts for me, I would have had to rely on my friend to pick stuff out, or just buy a pre-assembled desktop. I was able to put it all together by myself easily enough though.

So! My question is, what would be a good build for a very simple desktop? She won't be playing any games, it would just be used for browsing the internet mostly, and using word/excel. Almost anything would be faster than the piece of junk she has now, but a reasonably good processor is important I guess. Something as fast as possible without being too expensive. She also doesn't want a huge tower taking up room in her office, so a mini build would probably be great, as long as it has a disk drive. The only two things we don't need are a hard drive and mouse.

Huge thanks in advance for anyone that can help! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

its a 500gb samsung SSD. Those look sweet, looks like I would have to get an external disk drive though. Which wouldn't really be a problem. Lots of cheap bluray/DVD drives out there.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

So I'm thinking about upgrading some stuff on my pc while I'm shopping for a simple thing for mom that I posted about last week.

This is what I'm working with at the moment. Definitely want to get a better video card, but I'm wondering if my mobo and cpu is still fine to use?
mobo: ASUS Z170-A
gpu: geforce 970 strix
cpu: intel i5 6600k @ 3.50 ghz

Also have 2 8gig sticks of ram. Would bumping that up to 32 give me a noticeable boost in performance? Having some graphical issues playing COD MW, and slowdown/freezing.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Hmmm starting to wonder if I should just give my mom my computer and build a new one for myself.. Only thing I wouldn't need to buy would be SSD's since I could just leave my 500gig in there, take out my 1TB and use this 2TB SSD I've been too lazy to install.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Alright guys, I have convinced myself to just give my current PC to my mom and build a new one for myself :pcgaming:

My budget is 1,000-1,200 for everything except a SSD, which I already have 2 of, as well as monitors, speakers keyboard mouse.. Reusing those, buying a new monitor and keyboard for her. The search begins :getin:

edit: on second thought, lowered my budget a bit.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 3, 2020

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Someone save me from myself, got on bestbuy and started looking at parts, because I have a card with them that I can use to finance whatever. I know I'm probably going to take a price hit just ordering everything from them, and honestly idk wtf I'm doing. I need everything except a SSD, mouse/keyboard, monitors, speakers. Would like to keep the build as close to 1200$ as possible.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($273.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $659.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 09:17 EDT-0400

Couldn't find the video card on there, its a geforce rtx 2060 super 8. Still looking at power supplies too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

What are you looking to do with it? Unless you’ve got some specifically CPU-intensive tasks and you’re just looking at gaming etc you’d probably be better with a 3600 and putting that 100 USD diff towards a better GPU

I want the best gaming rig possible within a 1200$ budget. Give or take 100$, I could be persuaded to drop a little bit more if it would make a big difference.