Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

My 'gaming laptop' is about to die please help.

I don't usually play the latest and greatest and have been gaming on a Latitude 5550 for the last few years. Time to get a real desktop for my gaming needs. I'm looking for a solid system without breaking the bank, I've skimped on a GPU (1660 super) given anything actually for sale outside of ebay will destroy my current 830m and in a couple of years I'll pick up one of those fancy new 3000 or even whatever comes next. Can anyone give it a sense check for
1) Places I'm wasting money where I don't need to
2) Any compatibility issues and
3) Anywhere I've chosen a debatable/dumb component when there is better performance in the same range

What country are you in? UK
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Games
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. About £1k - will need a new monitor too
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? NA
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'm buying a monitor with it, but 1080p @ 60fps is utterly fine for me, I'm not a performance junky and my eyesight isn't good enough to tell the difference. I tend towards strategy type games but they are increasingly going 3D these days, I'd like to be able to stop worrying about specs for a few years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£171.95 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£105.36 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£54.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£118.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card (£206.50 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (£187.09 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £974.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-07 09:01 BST+0100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Butterfly Valley posted:

For your use case I'd say your picks are pretty good, I've made a couple of modifications which I'll explain:

You mentioned wanting the potential to upgrade in a few years, for that reason I think you should get a B550 chipset mobo instead of the B450. For the same reason, although the power supply you picked out is fine for the build as is, if you're planning to drop a 30x series card in in a couple of years, it could struggle. And lastly I've swapped over the SSD to the cheapest good NVME drive because Samsung are overpriced.

Also do you need some kind of WiFi card or is ethernet ok?

Thanks for the updates!

Wifi card will be needed, good shout! I get it through a google home mesh if that makes a difference to any recommendations (assuming you have any)