Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

sean10mm posted:

I'm starting to think the B550M Bazooka might be the best basic gaming mobo now.

just took a peek at this, I'm wondering... do people really forgo onboard wifi/bluetooth these days? I kinda thought those were generally table stakes unless you were genuinely interested in just plugging everything in and avoiding any wireless connectivity. If you are planning to use Bluetooth and wifi, is there any advantage to skipping the onboard and getting a separate Bluetooth adapter or wifi card in 2020?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sean10mm posted:

B550M Pro-VDH

I hadn't seen this board before, and was excited by the idea of a <$180 B550 with wifi/bluetooth that didn't have an aesthetic so loving obnoxious that it would make me buy a case without a window (those loving Tomahawk/Bazooka/whatever other weapons of warfare boards are the worst branding in PC gaming outside of the company literally called Glorious PC Gaming Race). looks like a lot of the reviews for it are pretty negative, though, with a lot of people saying it has compatibility issues with 3600s particularly which seems odd :smith:

of course, I think literally every motherboard on Newegg has a bunch of 1-star complaints about lemons, so I should probably just be prepared to RMA whatever board I end up getting...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Is there anything obviously "wrong" with either of these two B550 boards? They seem like a total steal at $100-110.

Asus PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

These are the only B550 boards under $180 that have onboard wifi & Bluetooth. Seems like a hell of a deal since I would have no need for the extra slots of a full ATX board, but I feel like I've got to be missing something that makes it cheaper beyond that. Is it really just the lack of RGB stuff? I guess there's no USB-C header for a case port either, but it seems like most boards don't have that (which is very strange to me when even cheap cases nowadays have the port for it).

I'd be pairing this with a Ryzen 3700X, stock cooler (and no OC of course), and 16 GB of 3600 RAM if that makes any difference. Using a 1060 for now with a goal of upgrading to a 3070 (and a 1440p monitor) in the future.

For comparison, looking at B550 or X570 boards with wifi/Bluetooth, the next-cheapest one with decent reviews is the $160 TUF GAMING X570 - what features does this have that those other boards are missing?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 13, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Nah, we recommend the Pro-VDH all the time. Functionally it's the B450 Tomahawk MAX we used to recommend but on the newer chipset for less money on a smaller form factor. Even cheap B550 boards seem to be built to a bit of a higher spec than the cheap B450 boards. I really haven't looked at the Asus board you listed but I suspect it's similar.

Cool! There's some weird tradeoffs, I guess: the ASUS board has only USB 3.2 ports on the back, with a mixture of Gen 1 and 2, while the MSI board has 4x USB 3.2 Gen 1 and 2x USB 2.0. However, the MSI board has a USB-C front header, which seems more useful than 3.2 Gen 2, I think?

Oh, is there any difference with onboard sound between a cheaper board like this and a nicer one? I kinda assume onboard sound is a totally solved problem in 2020 unless you're someone who just really wants a $100 DAC on your desk to look cool reduce background hum or whatever.

Doccykins posted:

The one thing I found between the MSI boards is that the Pro only has Wifi to .ac (v5) but the Mortar has .ax (v6). If you're plugging it into a switch/router there's no discernable difference. The Asus one has Wifi 6 though according to PC Part Picker

Eh, we use whatever combo modem/router Fios provides, which I'm pretty sure is just .ac. Not planning to move to any larger apartment anytime soon so probably don't need to future proof for that, I think. Thanks for the heads up, though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

Front USB C header utility is a hard binary determined by your case selection. If you can use it, it owns, if you can't, it's a waste of space.

Makes sense. I was eyeballing either the NZXT 510 or the Define 7 Compact, which both have it. I guess if I want maximum airflow and got the Meshify C (not really sure how much that matters in a basic build with no OC), then I'd just go ahead and get the ASUS one for the extra 3.2 on the back.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

pik_d posted:

Amazon had two PNYs, a 2 fan version and a 3 fan version. The 3 fan version went in seconds, not sure about the 2 fan version but I'd imagine it only took a few more seconds for that one to go. A few thousand people probably all hit "Buy now" at once.

the ironic here thing is that the PNYs never went on sale at all at best buy AFAIK (they are, as I type this, currently the only listed cards when you search "3070," since the rest got delisted)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

I love the way it looks mounted underneath my sit/stand desk

this is the one and only reason that I regret getting an NR200: it exhausts out the back and top and doesn't have a front grill for intake. pretty sure there's no way I could mount my PC like this and still have any airflow :(

instead I keep it on the floor, and because it's a mini ITX case, I actually had to loving sit it on a box so the cables out the back would reach all the way up to my desk in standing mode, gah. not to mention that i am using a random side table i found on the street a while ago to put my power strip on :shepface:

these are the things people don't warn you about when you get these converting desks, and you quickly realize why standing desk manufacturers are able to get away with selling cable management trays for like $60

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 15, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

hey y'all, will take this to Haus of Tech Support if there's no quick answer, but I've been having a bad time with Bluetooth and Wifi since I got my new computer built.

I did an ITX build using an MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI B550 board. Like a lot of ITX boards, this has an onboard Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 chip. I've got the most recent drivers for that chipset, using Intel's driver assistant thingy.

I have a ARRIS combo modem/router supplied by FiOS that I'm connecting to, which has never been a problem on any other device in my bedroom (Switch, Macbook, iPad, Android phone...). Nor did I ever have any issues connecting to it from my last desktop and its onboard wifi (which my roommate now uses and has no issues wtih). This router broadcasts both both a 2.4 and 5 Ghz network.

My symptoms are:

* When I connect to the 2.4 network, I get random wi-fi hiccups about every 5 minutes, where for around 5-30 seconds I can't load anything. I don't see anything logged in the Windows Event Viewer, other than the DNS errors you'd expect.

* The same issue occurs with the 5ghz network. This is a very qualitative measurement, but I feel like it happens slightly more often, and is more severe in nature.

* Usually, either wifi issue can be resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting though as you can imagine, this is not an ideal thing to do when I'm playing an online game

* Additionally, I've encountered an issue with Bluetooth: I just got a new Xbox Series X controller to use with my PC, and I've found that it also disconnects about every 5 minutes, and is able to reconnect automatically after a 5-10 second delay. This could just be a separate issue, but it feels... suspicious, to me.

I feel like this might be some kind of interference issue, or something - after all, I do have a Macbook, iPad, Bluetooth speakers, Switch, and Bluetooth keyboard all sitting on my desk - but I have no idea how I'd resolve it. The only real things I've tried have been disabling Bluetooth to see if the Wi-fi gets more stable (which seems to not help noticibly, though I continue to experiment...), and trying to use the Wi-Fi antenna from my previous computer with my new onboard Wifi, which doesn't seem to help.

Any of this sound familiar to anyone who's done a build with onboard wifi lately? AFAIK, the AX200 is kinda the only game in town for new builds, so I was surprised I couldn't find a lot of help debugging this online. I don't know what to do other than bite the bullet and get USB wifi and bluetooth adapter(s) (I don't have PCI-E slots for a wifi card, given that it's an ITX build...), but I'm scared that'll be a waste of $30 that won't help if it turns out the issue is interference.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 28, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

genuine question: what the hell does newegg get out of selling combos when everyone's just going to return the psu/ram? there has to be overhead to accepting those returns, right?

also is there a hilarious uptick in unopened "OLOy WarHawk" ram sticks flooding ebay yet? I'd seriously consider upgrading from 16 to 32 gig of ram with one of these combo deals if it didn't look like this poo poo (which I'm pretty sure wouldn't fit in my ITX board given the size of my cpu cooler...)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress me i just checked out a 3070 on newegg - MSI VENTUS 3X OC

anyone need 16 gigs of ram and a free hdmi->vga dongle it wouldn't let me not accept?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

change my name posted:

I'm sending my Oloy stuff back and eating the $15 restock fee, dongle will live in my closet I guess

drat lol i had heard people saying you could return it but they left off the fee

$15 is a totally eatable loss though, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I think I lucked out because they didn't put up the 3070s until 7:30, but everyone assumed they'd gone on sale and sold out already because of the time announcement. I saw that it hadn't popped up on @BotRtx so I just kept F5ing assuming they'd go on sale, and they did

not convinced they won't pull the order, but they did charge my card in full