Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I'm thinking about building a new PC in the new year to replace my current system which is starting to get a bit old.

Currently just thinking about what sort of thing I want but my last system was a full size ATX build but now my desk space has got smaller (and space under and around the desk as well!) so I was tending more towards a mATX or mITX build, something with a smaller form factor.

I am in the UK, and want something for gaming, my current monitor that I currently plan on keeping for now is 1980x1200 but I might change my mind in a year or two? Games wise I am playing red dead redemption II at the moment and plan on getting cyberpunk 2077. For features I am after something with decent wireless networking, space for a SSD and a HDD (HDD not essential but would be nice) and small (ish) size.

I want to keep the cost under £1000.

This is the current part list I've been looking at:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£172.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£135.10 @ Alza)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£116.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£237.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Corsair UK)
Total: £800.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-11 16:41 GMT+0000

I'm not sure about the graphics card (8 gb vRAM better?), I'm also not sure if mATX or mITX would be better in terms of cost to size. Are there any recommended cases as well, I was looking at the Velka 5 for mITX size but would like to get other recomendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Reposting for new page, mostly just looking for a GPU recommendation. I'm leaning https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...53&sr=8-1&th=1:

I am thinking of building a similar system to this but also not sure about GPU so will be interested in any answers as well.

Was much easier for the last one I built when the gtx 970 was undisputedly the best value choice.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

So I'm still considering the new build I want to do in the new year. Gaming will be the most intensive thing I want to do (rdr2 and cyberpunk 2077 for example), currently only a 1980x1200 monitor but would like the option to upgrade to 1440p in the next year or two. I want a smaller form factor for space reasons and WiFi networking .

I'm in the UK and my budget is £1000. This is what I've picked out so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£169.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£86.78 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£56.90 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£117.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£365.59 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£48.00 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.38 @ Aria PC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£33.63 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £942.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-26 08:53 GMT+0000

RAM will be whatever DDR4 3200 that is cheapest. Not sure about the graphics card though, I was aiming to get one with 8 GB vram since games seem to be needing or benefiting from more. Is this worth it? Also happy for suggestions for other cases, not fussed about having a window, would probably prefer not to but it's hard to find small mATX cases without it seems.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

I just saw this deal on some DDR4 3200 ram (2 x 8gb) for £50 which seems like a good price. But in the reviews there is some fussing about it not running at the advertised speeds, is there anything to this? Is it still worth getting?

Edit: whilst I'm here this is the build I had in mind at the moment:

What country are you in?

UK

What are you using the system for?

Gaming is the most taxing thing I will be using the system for. Mostly I'm looking to build something in a smaller form factor as it will fit in where my desk is in the bedroom better, hence looking at mATX. Also want wireless networking as I can't practically run a cable to where the PC will be and would like to be able to move it if required without worrying about networking.

What's your budget?

£1000

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?

Currently 1920 x 1200, 60 Hz but if it fits in my budget I would like to upgrade to a higher resolution/refresh rate in the next few years. Currently playing rdr2 and want to play cyberpunk 2077 so being able to play those on high settings with a good fps would be preferable.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (£19.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£56.90 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£117.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£370.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.97 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £974.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-01 11:57 GMT+0000

Specific questions:

Storage:

I chose a samsung 860 evo ssd because I know they are reputable and what I am used to! Are there any better value drives that are just as good?

Video card

Was looking at the gigabyte gaming OC 2060 super but it is practically the same price and from what I can gather the 5700 xt will give me better performance for the money. Can I get anything for better value here?

Case:

Was recommended this case but also looking for other options of a similar size. Would probably prefer one without a window but it seems hard to find one in this size without so I'm not massively fussed.

Ebola Dog fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 1, 2020

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Demostrs posted:

I didn't look too closely into whether or not Patriot actually did at one point ship those modules with Samsung B-Die or the reviewers who talked about that were misinformed, but those people are upset that they didn't get the best of the best examples of DDR4 RAM but instead a much lower quality SK Hynix Die. Nowadays, though, people who care about optimizing their memory speeds and timings have Micron E-Die as an alternative, but most people are gonna be fine with any DDR4-3200 kit on their motherboard's QVL. There are better value NVMe drives than an 860 Evo, but the 5700 XT is pretty unbeatable in terms of value against Nvidia's offerings. The Thermaltake V21 is also a good, cheap case, but it's on the larger side of mATX cases actually; shrunk down versions of larger cases like the Focus G Mini or Define Mini C will occupy about 10 liters less volume. I do appreciate how it's actually a case designed to be mATX, though, and not "hope the thermals are still good when we shrink everything!"

Here's a part list with some of my recommended changes, along with replacing the PSU with something with a 3-year longer warranty and full modularity: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QCdBvW

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (£19.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£64.24 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£370.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Box Limited)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £989.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-01 21:23 GMT+0000

Thanks for the advice, is it worth spending out extra for a fully modular power supply or is that mainly for the longer warranty?

Good point on the case, I'd prefer slightly smaller even if that means it's more awkward to build in. I keep looking at the fractal design node 804 even though it is more expensive. I seem to like the look of the cube style cases at the moment but I've not had a chance to look at them in person so not sure! Probably should measure out the 3D size of the different cases and see what style will fit best.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

How much of a pain are AMD drivers for the graphics card? I'm planning on getting a 5700 xt soon as I can get the powercolor red devil for ~£350 which is cheaper than any decent 2060 super cards I've found. But looking online a lot of people (on reddit especially) seem to really hate the drivers. I don't have any personal experience with AMD graphics drivers so I don't know. The issue is a decent 2070 super is at least £100 more expensive and even a decent 2060 super is still more expensive.

Edit: Whilst I was thinking of upgrading my PC with the potential to get a 1440p 144 Hz monitor later this year or next in mind I'm now thinking about sticking to 1080p but still 144 Hz. A 5700 xt would be overkill for this right? What card would be more appropriate whilst still having potential good longevity?

Edit 2: The more I think about it the more tempted I am to bite the bullet and spend an extra £67 on a 2070s to try and make use of ray tracing in cp2077

Ebola Dog fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 6, 2020

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

They’re fine, which is I guess more to say NVIDIA’s situation isn’t really any better.

Klyith posted:

The 5700s have had some teething issues that are still getting ironed out, particularly with power options (oc, fan control). I was having display driver crashes just from that, but they've stopped as of the latest update.

As far as the experience of using them, I vastly prefer AMD's drivers to nvidia's. No drat geforce experience, and the driver control panel is fast and responsive.

Thanks for this, good to know.

Though I am now thinking based on the current discussion I'm thinking that maybe I could upgrade the rest of the PC and keep the 970 I have currently and see how the next series of cards look since I won't be looking at upgrading my monitor till at least the end of this year.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

FWIW my 970 is showing its age but it's not absolutely unplayable yet. The game that looks the worst is RDR2 and that's still firmly acceptable outside of really busy scenes (Iots of moving NPCs) with really long draw distances.

Like I said, I'm still actively haunting ebay trying to score a cheap 1070 so I"m not entirely satisfied, but I also want to see what AMD comes up with this year before pulling the trigger on a $400 VC to go with a probably $400 monitor.

It was so much easier to decide when I built my PC with the 970 since it was the clear choice and I got mine for £225. Now I'm looking at forking out twice that for cards I'm not certain about!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Zedd posted:

It's me again, being in GPU dilemma for a month now.
For a €150,- price difference, 1660 Super or 2060 Super. I narrowed it down to those two, I think.

To perhaps add to the dilemma you can get a 5700 xt for the same price or less than a 2060 super unless you really want nvidia.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Icedude posted:

• Use: Gaming, light gamedev
  • Budget: Trying to stay under £1.5k
  • Resolution: 1080p 60FPS, but running dual monitors and possibly looking to upgrade one to 4k later

I tend to run into CPU/Memory caps with the stuff I play more than graphics, which having a second monitor with browsers for reference/youtube open doesn't help, so I've upped the CPU and memory of the recommended build listed from the OP, as well as swapped to nVidia as that's what I'm used to:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (£299.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£102.47 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£141.18 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£71.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£118.48 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£419.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case (£146.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£94.99 @ AWD-IT)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£89.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £1485.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-09 12:04 GMT+0000

I haven't upgraded in 5-ish years now and I didn't really have any idea what I was doing last time either, but I have a bit of a bigger budget this time. This is hitting the upper end of my budget though, so any advice would be recommended, as well as pointing out any dumb mistakes.

edit: Ah, and I meant to ask; Is "one drive for OS, one for everything else" still a thing now that SSDs are the standard and HDDs are all but dead?

If you don't need full size ATX motherboard you should look at the MSI b450m mortar max mATX board.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

DMW45 posted:

So, for a last once over before I go to the local computer store to try to get all this together, how does this look?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ B&H)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($229.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.29 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($106.99 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $949.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-12 11:46 EDT-0400

Don't pay full price for windows 10, get it from the person selling it in SA mart, either a windows 7 key for $5 which can be used to activate windows 10 or a windows 10 key for $15. I got a windows 7 key off of them and it worked to activate windows 10 for me.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Vindolanda posted:

With a microATX board would it make more sense to go for a smaller case? I'm as keen for a vast monolith as the next person, but smaller is always better in a flat - especially when I'm going to be working in it for the foreseeable. Or would there be space issues in the case if not on the board?

I built something similar with the same motherboard including a chunky 3 slot, 3 fan gpu in a smaller case In win 301, 370 mm x 208 mm x 365 mm) and it works great. So I say go for a smaller case!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

BeefSupreme posted:

Questions:

2. I assume I need to factor in a new copy of Windows? I'm currently on 8.1.

You should be able to use your old 8.1 key to activate a new installation of Windows 10.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Schiavona posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($493.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1234.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-23 20:33 EDT-0400

This is what I'm thinking for a potential coronacomputer. I live near a Microcenter.

I figured I'd take the SSDs I have in my current build (an i5-2500k that's made it almost ten years) and just bring them over. Any issues with that?

There's not really any point getting the 3600x especially if you are getting a better cooler. The 3600 will be just as good and probably a bit cheaper.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

saltz posted:

Hi all, my 2015 PC is starting to struggle with modern games so I'm looking to build a new one. I'm thinking that I get the non-GPU bits now and try to hang on to my GTX 970 until the new generation of cards comes out. Does that make much sense or would I be better off just getting a 2070S now?

What country are you in? United Kingdom
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming and general computer use.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Under £1500, to include this list and the GPU at some point in the future.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I have a 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor and although I've never been crazy about chasing Ultra graphics, I'd like to aim for reasonably high.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£165.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition 43.03 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For £0.00)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£105.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£78.00)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£107.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4 GB STRIX Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£92.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£100.00)
Total: £637.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-03 21:09 BST+0100

A few points/questions:
1. I already have a WiFi card that I'm happy with so I don't think there's much reason to look for a higher grade motherboard. Am I wrong?
2. Not really sure about the RAM, just went with Corsair LPX because that's what I've always had.
3. When I play games I use headphones so would I be better off with a case that's more aimed at silence when idle? I'm also happy to spend a bit more to put some Noctua fans in the Meshify if that would help at all with the idle noise.
4. Only reason I've gone for the 750w PSU is that it's cheaper than the 650w.

Anything I've missed or would be useful to know?

In the UK you can get the MSI B450m MORTAR MAX motherboard which is a bit cheaper than the tomahawk as well as being smaller (mATX) and letting you use a smaller case if you want.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

got some chores tonight posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Evoke OC Video Card ($272.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $937.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-07 22:18 EDT-0400

Haven't built a computer since 2014 with a P3258/z97 build, but I'm looking to do some gaming at 1440p. Any suggestions?

You might want to spend a bit extra if you can for a 5700 xt for 1440p. Though you can apparently flash the bios of a 5700 with the xt bios and get almost as good performance out of it if you're brave enough.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

Is there any site/youtube channel that discusses/reviews SSDs?

I'm looking for a regular 2TB SATA SSD. I usually just buy a Samsung EVO and call it a day but just wondering what the landscape is now? Seems like 2TB are still a bit expensive so wondering if I can get away with using another alternative than Samsung.

There's a person on Reddit who has lots of useful info on different SSDs including a nice flowchart to help pick the best one for your needs.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

I don't know where the best place to ask this is but I figured here since it is quite specific. Does anyone have any spare red anti vibration pads for noctua chromax fans that they wouldn't mind parting with? (these).

I want to accent the fan on my cpu cooler to match the rest of my fans but want to avoid forking out £6 for more pads then I need. It's annoying that the chromax coolers only come with the black pads. I need 4-6 and would be happy to swap for any of the other colours, and I'm in the UK.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Neuronyx posted:

I'm not sure I need a new HDD though, I wanted to use my current ones ( that's assuming HDDs are something that's compatible with most boards? ) but an SDD wouldn't hurt, especially if I'm focusing on gaming anyway.

Your link doesn't work so I can't comment on your parts but I just wanted to say an SSD is probably the single biggest quality of life improvement you can make. Not just in games but in everyday usage. Any new PC build should include an SSD as the main drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

MisterAlex posted:

Goootcha. Well, then in that case, I guess it'll be the 3070—once I can manage to find one. 😅
Thanks!

To put it in context, I recently sold my 5700xt that I bought new for £350 for £800 plus shipping.