Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade my 7700k, as it's starting to frequently get maxed out and cause my computer to start hitching.

I'm thinking about switching to a 9700K, or the next step above with 16 threads. Would either of those be a significant improvement to the 7700K? The benchmarks I've been finding seem to be unclear and with varying results depending on where I look.

(Also, I'll need to upgrade my motherboard too, as I don't have a 300 series chipset. Anyone got any recommendations that arent sold out on Amazon?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Klyith posted:

Maxed out in what? A 7700K has 8 threads, it still should be pretty good for gaming especially if you've OC'ed it.

If you're changing out the mobo, buying a 9700K right now is a terrible value. The new 10600K will be the same thing for $100 less as soon as they become more available.

A 10600K is a decent choice for a PC that's focused 100% on gaming performance. If you have non-gaming productivity a 3700X is better.

Super late reply because the last few days have been hectic, but it's not any one particular thing, it seems to be that completely random things will just start using huge amounts of CPU for no reason, between my browser, the current game I'm playing, Windows explorer, and svchost.exe.

This causes my CPU to constantly hit 100% utilization at random times and cause tons of hitching

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Klyith posted:

This sounds like it is either temperature throttling or a software / OS issue. I'd check CPU thermals with hwinfo64 first to see how that's doing. Then do an OS reinstall or troubleshooting to see if you fix it without buying a new PC.

Thermals are looking ok While I have my game and browser up:

https://i.imgur.com/Firu0xl.png

Really wish I knew what was using up all of my CPU, the numbers in the resource monitor never add up

https://i.imgur.com/dFxJ7G0.png

I guess I can try a reinstall of windows 10 next but I'm always terrified of those because they wind up causing so many problems/missing files and folders whenever I do that

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Bofast posted:

What about the numbers in Task Manager? Do they add up?
Might also want to check the Services section (below your screenshot) in the Resource Monitor, in case there's some service there using CPU time that's not being shown among the processes.

The ones in the task manager fall even more short than the resource monitor ones do:

https://i.imgur.com/LE9F61a.png

(For reference, I have 32GB of RAM)

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
My computer is now randomly restarting instantly with no warning whatsoever, and nothing is showing up in any crash logs anywhere. I'm assuming this means my PSU is going bad, which I'm not surprised if so since I run my computer 24/7 and do some pretty heavy stuff on it all the time.

I have a 750 watt power supply (Corsair HX750i), is that enough for my RTX 2080, 32 GB of RAM, and an i7 7700k?

if so, should I just buy the same PSU again to replace this one?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Klyith posted:

Before getting a new PSU, run memtest for a few hours and see if you have a memory stick going bad. But hard restarts without a bluescreen are classic bad PSU symptom.

750 watts is more than you need, a 650 would be fine. Supply is crazy though so you may end up with a 750 just for what's in stock.

The corsair HX, and all their high-end PSUs, are IMO kinda dumb. They're great quality, but you also pay for dumb gimmicks like a single/multiple 12v rail switch or a USB link. Also the HX still only has a 5 year warranty while most high-quality PSUs are doing 10 or at least 7. Personally with corsair I would stick with their RM(x) / TXM gold lines.

If I specifically wanted a platinum-rated unit I'd go seasonic (or maybe bequiet).

High quality PSUs don't need lots of margin -- for your build a 550 would be fine. A 550 is enough for just about any CPU + single GPU combo. A 650 is only needed for people who are planning to buy the very top-end video cards.

Jesus, you weren't kidding about the supply being out of whack. Everything on Amazon is weeks out. I work from home and I can't be having my computer restart randomly every couple of hours like this, I think I might have to get some lesser brand that just so happens to be in stock and available now to ship

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Well, seeing as I still can't even look at a 3070, I figure I need to upgrade my aging 7700k. The problem with upgrading my CPU at this point is that it'll also mean I need to upgrade my mobo and power supply too(especially if I plan on getting a 3070 later which I know has a higher power draw).

The question is,coming from a 7700K, should I go with Intel or AMD this time around? Since I'm buying a new mobo anyway, the switch should be easy if I need to do it. I game heavily so I'm obviously looking at intel, but AMD's stuff is significantly cheaper for not much loss in performance on gaming. AMD seems to also be way easier to upgrade later on down the line.(Case in point of me having to replace my mobo because any of the newer intel CPUs arent compatible with it)

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

All that is old is new again: AMD is king. No reason to go Intel unless you are super brand-loyal or have an available upgrade path.
:shrug:

Got any AMD recommendations for coming off a 7700k and keeping it relevant for a good few years then?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

nitsuga posted:

A 3600 or 3700x are good options now. I can’t imagine anything cheaper would be worth the upgrade nor anything more expensive depending on your needs and budget. Zen 3 will be out soon though, but the chips are more expensive and who knows what will actually be available.

I'm reading a review on the 3700x and apparently while it lags behind intel's stuff for gaming by a 10% or so gap, the gap becomes nonexistent at 1440/4K. As I run everything at 1440p on my 2080 super, this should basically be a shoe-in of an upgrade correct?

I guess the only thing to do now is wait for the Zen 3 and see if that's worth a buy instead, but I'm wondering if it'll wind up going the way of the RTX 3070.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Ugh, all the new AMD processors are sold out everywhere, even the really expensive ones. Another paper launch I guess, I still havent been able to snag a 3070 either

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Some 5800x's in stock at newegg (US)

Been 8 minutes now so you may get one. I just snagged one myself.

Is there a way to have it notify you when they come in stock? I only see stuff about price alerts and wishlists

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

dub dub dub dot now in stock dot net

This is a neat looking website but I've just gotten two different alerts to things that were already sold out lol(or at least, sold out within less than 2 seconds of the notification going up)

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kingnothing posted:

The 3600 is generally just an all around better gaming CPU. You may be able to get it cheaper than $199 if you search around.

I want you to know that I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and this post made me think that 5600's were in stock and easily available, and that I also hate you. I literally checked like 7 different websites before I realized what was wrong.

gently caress.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
A Ryzen 3700x is only a sidegrade/slight upgrade to a i7 7700k, right?

My 7700k is getting maxed out by every app and their mom these days, and with the impossibility of getting a Ryzen 5600, a 3700x is starting to look mighty tempting. :stonklol:

*edit* I have a 7700k, not a 9700k. Whoops.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 17, 2020

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

spunkshui posted:

Whats maxing out a 9700k?

Thats an extremely capable cpu.

Edit: Are you sure its not a gpu thing?

Sorry, I misspoke, I normally used to have lots of apps running in the background with little issue, but nowadays some of my common apps take significant chunks of CPU, and so if I try to run an actual game(which will take 50-60%), I wind up being maxed out and start freezing/hitching sometimes.

League of legends(the client, not the actual game), tends to take 20-30%, and firefox tends to take another 10-20% even after a fresh restart. By themselves that's fine, but if I start running any demanding games, that becomes a problem. My GPU is an RTX 2080 and I never see that get anywhere close to maxed out, for what it matters.

*edit* I am extremely tired and just realized I've been typing 9700k and not 7700k, which is what I actually have. gently caress.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

sean10mm posted:

A 3700X would maybe be 10% faster in games at 1080p vs. a 7700K, but it would be much better at multitasking since it has twice as many cores and threads.

If your main concern is gaming a 5600X is a way better buy for similar money (if you can find one)

I use 1440p, which from what I understand means I probably won't see much change in the gaming department if I pick up an AMD CPU, but it'll still help my multitasking.

Obviously I want a 5600x really badly over anything in the 3000 series, but loving hell is it impossible to find one right now. I'd gladly take a 5700 or whatever is higher, but those are sold out too. :smith:

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 17, 2020