Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Klyith posted:

Good news, B450 owners and prospective builders!

The Ryzen 4000 CPUs will be supported on 400-series motherboards after all.

Guess that thread title will get another couple years of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I bought the PSU in my Frankenstein's monster of a build more than 11 years ago, so well past its 3-year warranty. I think I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The Lian-Li O11 is also extremely popular. That and the H510 are an enormous proportion of builds that people post pictures of online.

For a slightly smaller option, the O11 Mini is supposed to be launching at the end of this month or early September.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Catalina posted:

Oh, I missed that. :blush: Well, the lowest setting on my oven is 150°F, so...

... so you should throw it in the microwave instead!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased $329.98 @ antonline)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased $199.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card (lol who knows)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($99.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1014.88 (plus ~$800 for the RTX 3080?)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-17 14:34 EST-0500

I've already started pulling the trigger on this but figured it'd be nice to get the thread's seal of approval. What do people think?

dublish fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 17, 2020

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm gonna assume this is a mistake and you were deciding which set to get; go for the top dual channel G.Skill.

Yep, thought about going RGB on everything, thought better of it, missed that on the list.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

If you're working with a 2K budget, consider bumping to DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM - should be around $20-30 more. There's some very modest performance gains in some situations, so it may not be worth it if you're already stretching.

You may also want to buy a 3rd party cooler for your 5600x. The stock HSF will work but it will spend a lot of time in the noisier fan ranges during loads. Anything from the $20 Deepcool GAMMAXX 400V2 on up will be an upgrade. $40-50 is probably where you stop getting much additional benefit on a 5600x.

That ADATA SSD used to be a great performance buy, but they swapped to a slower controller and different NAND on newer ones. That's still a solid price on a perfectly competent 2TB SSD, but just something to be aware of.

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't sure if different memory would really make a noticeable difference. $20 won't break the bank, so I'll look around. I figure I'll eventually shell out for a Noctua cooler, but that's a lower priority since the cpu has one included.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Have you checked GPU requirements for the Meshify C mini? Many 3080s are long as gently caress, and may not fit.

Specs say it's got the same width and length dimensions as the full size Meshify C, so I'm not expecting any issues even if I get an AIB card.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

GPU max length on that case is 315mm unless you take out the front fan, which isn't advisable.

The Gigabyte cards (these are generally 323-325), some MSI cards, and some others exceed 315.

Just saying, you may be in for a bad time if you don't pay attention to it.

Ah, I see. Assuming I ever see one available, I'll keep an eye on length then. Thanks.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Even in cases where it technically fits, its a huge loving pain in the arse to have to work around a GPU that takes up most of your case. My 2070s makes messing with drives or other poo poo a god drat nightmare

Is there a different case you'd recommend? I thought the Meshify C was the standard.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Huge drop of GPUs at BestBuy with a reasonable queue system.

Try your luck. I got a 3070!

I think I bagged a 3080FE a few minutes ago. I did not expect this to happen until January.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

A Christmas miracle! Best Buy got my 3080 in three days early and I picked it up before they closed today.

And then USPS told me my RAM from Newegg is delayed until next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are there any good suggestions for troubleshooting why a 2nd M2 drive would not be showing in Windows? It shows in the BIOS, but in Windows the OS is acting like it's not there.

If it's a new drive, try going into Disk Management and setting it up there.