Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? 1440p 144hz gaming for modern games
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p, 144hz. I have dual monitors but don't plan to use both for gaming. I do like to have the secondary monitor
What's your budget? Up to $1800.

My last build was from 2013 and it's definitely showing its age, I'm on an i5-4670K and primarily CPU bound. However, after that I figured if I'm getting a new CPU, I need a new mobo, which means I should probably rethink the rest of it...and now here I am.

I've mostly cobbled this together based on suggestions I've seen in the last 15-20 pages, primarily want to double check that I'm not doing anything crazy value wise and that all of this will work together.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $170.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $95.00)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($500.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $70.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan
Total: $1473.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-09 12:53 EST-0500

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

zhar posted:

Thanks, these look good. Trying to figure out whether I should spend an extra £6 for a Noctua NF-P14s redux over the arctic F14 just because the arctic fan would be the only white/light thing in my case.

e: I don't actually have my case yet but would one be able to see the white fan through the front of a black Meshify C

Some Arctic fans have loud coil whine around 1000rpm (but not higher/lower??) if you're worried about noise, but otherwise they perform just as well.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Do the front audio ports for the Meshify C just suck rear end? Whenever I'm in a fullscreen game there's a minor buzzing sound coming through the headphones when they're plugged into the front headphone jack. Doesn't happen on the back at all.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

orange juche posted:

The buzzing is probably a grounding issue with the headphone jack.

E: you actually said it only happens when you're in a game? is it only coming through the headphones or is it audible in the room as well?

I haven't tried plugging anything else in, but there's no buzzing when I tab out of the game, and the mobo audio ports in the back don't have the issue. No audible buzzing in the room.

Some Goon posted:

Front audio ports picking up interference within the case is a not-uncommonly reported issue (generally, not just with the meshify). You've got these tiny unshielded cables passing through a box filled with electronics.

I guess that could explain it; I can always try to improve my routing to fix that up. Otherwise I'll just use the back audio ports on the mobo.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Have a troubleshooting question for my latest build. I've only had this happen two times now over the last 2 weeks, but I'm wondering how best to diagnose.

Occasionally, I'll start seeing my PC get random graphics tearing and slowdown and then reboot itself. I haven't figured out exactly what causes it, but it doesn't seem like temps are the issue (CPU and GPU both well under 65c peak), and when testing all my peripherals with my old PC, no issues there. I've double checked that all the components are seated correctly, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with my cable management. My main culprit is a faulty PSU, but I'm not sure how to figure if that's the issue at all. Any ideas?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

spunkshui posted:

Sounds more like faulty gpu.

PSU tends to work or do nothing.

Its behaving like an unstable overclocked card.

Can you put the gpu in another computer? Fastest way to check.

Thanks, that's helpful. I can put my old graphics card in this PC and swap out my new one to the old PC, but given that it's happening so intermittently, I'm not sure how I'd know if that actually fixed it without using for another week or so.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

interrodactyl posted:

Have a troubleshooting question for my latest build. I've only had this happen two times now over the last 2 weeks, but I'm wondering how best to diagnose.

Occasionally, I'll start seeing my PC get random graphics tearing and slowdown and then reboot itself. I haven't figured out exactly what causes it, but it doesn't seem like temps are the issue (CPU and GPU both well under 65c peak), and when testing all my peripherals with my old PC, no issues there. I've double checked that all the components are seated correctly, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with my cable management. My main culprit is a faulty PSU, but I'm not sure how to figure if that's the issue at all. Any ideas?

spunkshui posted:

Ok good we have everything we need to rule things out.

Just use a benchmarking tool for graphics cards and run that poo poo on loop.

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Fire up Haven and leave it running continuously.

If the GPU is faulty it’ll crack in minutes to hours.

Edit: by crack I mean program will crash or bsod. It wont kill anything unless you run your rig in a plastic bag.

So I finally figured out what was happening. The latest BIOS update for the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro does not support 3600mhz RAM. I had to set mine down to 3200mhz and all the errors and slowdown disappeared.

This BIOS update also broke half of the USB ports on the I/O. Unfortunately, it's also the update that adds support for Zen 3 processors.

Really thinking of RMA'ing the mobo at this point, or just resigning myself to waiting for the next BIOS update.

e: And Gigabyte actually just removed the latest F11 bios update from their site recently.

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 5, 2020

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

sean10mm posted:

Something strange is going on here because I am running F11k on that board and XMP is running fine on my 3600 speed RAM.

Maybe it's only good on very specific RAM configurations and just eats poo poo on the rest?

I had no trouble with F10 either FWIW. F11 is benchmarking better but it's like <1% difference.

Well, maybe I'm just unlucky then. Googling around has shown that I'm not the only one with this issue, so no idea what's causing this.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

I have a question about RAM though, i could save approx 60~ bucks going from 3600 ram to 3200 ram both at CL16, will this result in any appreciable frame differences? Additionally, is there a m.2 SSD that people would recommend? i already have some other SSDs but i can always use more storage space.

It's usually a 2-3% difference in performance. For the Zen 3 CPUs, you just want to make sure you're getting dual rank ram, and while 3600 CL16 is the sweet spot in performance, you can decide if the extra small bit of performance is worth the $60.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I have a question that's a little more off the beaten path. I want to share a bunch of peripherals between my Mac and my PC, given my work from home setup, and I want to switch as few wires as possible. However, I'm trying to power a lot of stuff, so a normal USB switch doesn't seem like it'll work.

My plan is to add a TB3 card to my PC, which is using the Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO mobo: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qXBhP6/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-aorus-pro

This is a sketch of the setup I'm considering. Note that the dock doesn't support 144hz so I'm connecting the monitor using two cables and manually switching the input on the monitor, since I'm gaming on my PC.

So two primary questions here:

1. Anything seem especially crazy about this? Is there an easier to way to accomplish this?
2. Any recommendations on a TB3 PCIe card I can throw into my PC? Should I just get the cheapest one?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

This is brilliant, thank you. Will try it out and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If you need someone to just say "yes buy the PC" then I'm here to say "yes buy the PC"

You're welcome