Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm looking at two different RAM kits and I' m wondering if there's any difference between them other than the RGB:

1. G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39 (in my MB's QVL)
2. G.Skill RipJaws V DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39 (not in my MB's QVL)

EDIT: I ask cause one is 134 and the other 179 Euro.

Far as I can tell via one of MSI's x570 QVL lists is that the Trident is Samsung B-Die ram while the Ripjaws is just normal Samsung ram. May not be 100% right about that but if I am the B-Die ram was sought after for better ram OCing a cpu gen or two ago and is still priced high because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

KillHour posted:

Those would be pretty lose timings for B-Die.

Edit: It's also way too cheap. It's not B-Die.

Yeah my bad I hosed that up now that I'm looking over the model number on the trident z again. It's also just samsung ram probably The model #s don't exactly match up on either of them when going from gskill's website to a MSI mobo that has the ram on their QVL per gskill

F4-3600C16d-16GVK (qvl, samsung, not b-die) vs F4-3600C16d-32GVKC (what I think the ram is per gskill's website) for the Ripjaws

F4-3600C16D-16GTZ (qvl, samsung, not b-die) vs F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC (also qvl, SK hynix J) vs F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC (what I think the ram is) for the Trident Z

I may just be bad at this though / looking at the Trident Z they pull from multiple sources depending on the model #

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Hey it's me again from a month or two and a different topic ago. I was waiting for black friday deals to come along (so far doesn't seem like things will change that much total price dropped by like $15) to buy my stuff and have a couple questions.

Below is the end result of what I planning on getting with anything at $0.00 being old parts I'm moving over from my current computer.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($111.28 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC Black Edition Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.08 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Acer XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $581.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 10:46 EST-0500

Now my actual budget is more like $750-$800. I plan on using whatever I have here for the next several years, upgrading the cpu to an 8 core ryzen 4000 and/or a new gpu as needed.

My questions:
1) Should I just get a new power supply? The one I'm moving over was put into service March 2016 and has a 7 year warranty so it has a bit over 3 years left. Besides it being older only other reason why I'd get a new power supply is so I don't have to remove it from my old computer, letting me keep it around for a bit if my new one has issues when building it (bad parts that I need to RMA or whatever). What power supply would you recommend if I got a new one and is it worth my time to go up to one that's 750 watts?
2) I suck at googling ram with the QVL. I always find something that's not quite the right model number. could I get 16 and 32 gigs 3200mhz and 3600mhz ram suggestions for the tomahawk max since I'm struggling to find stuff on the qvl? I'm not sure I really need 32 gigs but some games are starting to want 12+ and I'm curious to see the price differences.
3) Is there any reason for me to go with something better than the stock cpu cooler. I wasn't planning to manually OC, just turn on PBO or whatever you do for ryzen cpus and leave it at that?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Guess the newegg via ebay $176 R5 3600 is back. You don't get 3 months of gamepass with it though. Won't arrive til middle of next week but whatever.

edit: ebay link with the coupon code PDEALS4U

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

black.lion posted:

Updating BIOS is something I'd really like to avoid, should I just ignore this warning and assume it's all going to be fine?

The tomahawk max is already updated to work with the Ryzen 3xxx chips so you're good there.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

All my stuff arrived and my new computer is working. Word of warning for anyone else. Sometimes the Tomahawk Max B450 won't see your GPU. It happened to me after trying to update the bios via MSI's Live Update 6. Not gonna try that again. Gonna be a pain if doing the bios update from the bios (M-Flash forces you to restart the computer) makes the motherboard unable to see my GPU again.

Slightly wishing I spent the extra $30-$40 on a X570 board but oh well. GPU is an EVGA GTX 1080ti SC Black Edition. Bios was giving the Post and VGA error lights while the problem was happening. I eventually got things working again by resetting the CMOS but god that was not fun to run into after spending like 5 hours building the thing, 10 minutes installing windows...and then 30-45 minutes going "oh nooo I bricked the motherboard" while trying to troubleshoot it.

Edit: also the Meshify C expects you to route cables in this one spot with velcro spots already there but then the velcro they already have their is a pain to loosen to fit anything into. I also am probably not great at routing cables and had problems getting the PSU to stay in it's slot. Due to the HDD brackets I had to let the PSU hang out the back some to hook all the modular cables up.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 2, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

You shouldn't really need to update the bioses on Max boards.

It's a couple versions behind and doesn't have agesa 1.0.0.4 patch B.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I picked a hell of a time to reuse my old computer (ivybridge quad-core) that's missing a psu as a headless windows 10 nas.

Doubt there's any ETA when stuff will be in stock so any suggestions on what's currently out there. I'd prefer a modular if possible but kinda am blanching at paying more than $100-$120.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

My friend is building a new computer after he managed to snag a RTX 3080. Let me know if there's any standout issues.

The i7-10700 is used from a different friend so that's why it's like half price (and why he's sticking with Intel instead of making a Ryzen build). The Hyper 212 EVO is from his old PC. Probably two more 2.5" SSDs and 1 3.5" HDD also coming from his old computer that aren't on this list. His main concerns were not knowing much about motherboards and if the PSU was big enough.

He needs onboard mobo wifi

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $160.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($197.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($150.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Monoprice)
Total: $943.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-21 13:29 EST-0500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

:sigh: I need new ram for my AMD B450 Tomahawk Max and R5 3600.

It's starting to have cannot read instructions at <insert address> referenced memory at <insert different address> issues. I turned off XMP and those stopped so...yay I guess it's just not 100% supported motherboard but took a couple years to manifest the problem. The ram's exact model # isn't on the QVL up there at that link but at the time when I bought the computer there wasn't much on that link at all for Matisse.

May as well use this time to upgrade to 32 gigs of ram anyway, can someone find me 32 gigs of 3600mhz ram that is on that Mobo's QVL that isn't also like $400+? I have some amazon gift card money so purchasing it through them would be preferable. I'm located in the US