Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Figured it was time to start thinking about building a new pc since my current one was built right when Diablo 3 came out which was apparently almost ten years ago.

I'll primarily be using it for lots of 3D modeling, rendering, game dev, some video editing, and.shitloads of Cyberpunk 2077. I plan on using my 980Ti until I hear more about the 3000 RTX cards in a few weeks.

It would be great to hear if there's anything glaringly bad or wrong here, as I've not really kept up with PC hardware, aside from GPUs, over the last ten years or so.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($354.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1699.83

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any particular reason you need the ROG Crosshair Mobo?
You could probably scale down to a Gigabyte Aorus Pro/Elite or a MSI X570 Tomahawk (if you can find one-- They're plentiful at MSRP in Canada) and save some money towards a 3000 series.

That corsair M2 drive seems ridiculous and I'm not even sure if the built in heatsink it comes from will give you the clearance to fit it into the slot for something like the Crosshair.
I think you'd be better served switching to an SN750 and getting a nice discount. Otherwise everything else looks good. M2 drives only have some heat issues if you're running them in server type applications.

If you don't care about aesthetics that much (your DRP 4 blocks the RAM) I'd recommend getting Crucial Ballistix 3600MHZ CL16 ram since its very compatible with Ryzen CPUs. It'll cost less and perform better.

This is all great info, thanks!

No particular need for the Crosshair Mobo. It just seemed to be popular? It was tough trying to find info on what might make them "good"outside of the x570 chipset that I wanted (pci-e 4.0 sounds pretty good, and I'd likely benefit from it over the next few years).

I only went with that Corsair drive because it's apparently pci-e 4.0? Again, not really sure and I was pretty confused by the filter options in pcpartpicker for that sort of thing. I'm happy to swap to something else!

Great info about the DRP blocking the ram (how can you tell?), I do not care one bit about my ram a e s t h e t i c as long as it's fast and plentiful.

Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sean10mm posted:

The problem with PCIe 4.0 SSDs right now is that the drives themselves (I assume because of the controllers?) aren't actually capable of using the extra bandwidth to any meaningful degree. Like even in synthetic benchmarks the results are very :effort: compared to PCIe 3.0 drives, and in real use they kind of don't seem to DO anything.

Allegedly Samsung is coming up with a new controller for their 980 Pro 4.0 that's coming out (eventually) that will at least give it a real speed advantage in benchmarks, but even then it may not actually have a real world impact on the vast majority of uses.

tl,dr is a WD SN750 or XPG 8200 Pro are better high performance M.2 drives right now and cost less.

The Tomahawk x570 is a very nice board if you can get it and really has everything you could actually use, just realize the real price is supposed to be around $200 because vendors like to scalp it big-time and it constantly goes out of stock in the US. I actually really like the ROG Strix B550-F as well, it's built like a tank and actually has nicer features than most X570 boards near its price (like intel 2.5g lan instead of realtek and bios flashback). In some ways it's an above average X570 board with newer add-on bits and no chipset fan, but you are limited to one 4.0 x16 slot and one 4.0 x4 M.2 slot, with the other M.2 slot fixed at 3.0 x4. But again, M.2 4.0 x4 doesn't do anything yet.

The specs for the cooler should list any ram height limitations. Some big coolers like the Noctua D15S are offset to avoid interference, others have problems if you don't use low profile stuff like LPX.

This is awesome, thank you. I'm in no real hurry to buy, but would like to start ordering soon, so I'll keep an eye on available Tomahawk boards at a decent price.

I've swapped in WD SN750 or XPG 8200 Pro in my notes as well.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sean10mm posted:

If you're going with the Meshify C, it really benefits cooling-wise from replacing the 1x120mm front fan it comes with stock with 2x140mm fans. Like Noctua NF-P14s Redux PWM. GamersNexus did a test with it and the CPU temps dropped like a stone, and normally they're like $15 each.

I'm pretty sold on the Meshify if I can find it in white. My current case is a Fractal R5, which I really love, so I'd like to stick with Fractal this time, too.

Thanks for the heads-up on the fans. I've shaved about $200 off my original spec and, given the improvement, I think that's a pretty easy buy.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Science_enthusiast posted:

Howdy Guys,

I am building a computer for the first time and getting completely lost in the possibilities. My budget is 1000 Euros (living in Germany atm) and this will be my general use computer (I am about to start a course in Game Design and do some graphic design work, but nothing too taxing), and ofcourse gaming. )

Howdy,
There are much more knowledgeable folks around here that can help with your parts, but if you have any questions around game dev, and graphic design, I'm happy to help answer any questions and provide mentorship.

You've probably played games I've worked on, and since leaving the industry a few years ago, I've been doing a lot of R&D in Unreal and Unity, and for AR and VR.

If you have any questions about the industry, AAA game dev, or graphic design stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm getting really annoyed at the lack of information, benchmarks or any kind of performance metrics for the AMD 4000 series. I know I've spoken to a lot of you separately about the 3700x but I just can't shake the paranoia that the PS5 will somehow outclass whatever I build now and I'll be forced to make another upgrade in 2 years. Ideally I want at least 4-5 years of solid performance out of this new build.

Former AAA dev here, you won't even see games really taking advantage of the new console hardware for a couple years anyway. Any game coming out for next gen consoles within the next 18-24 months has been developed with much lower specs for the majority of its development. It's usually by year three or four of new hardware that developers have really started figuring out how to budget for and leverage the new hardware.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Quick question about ram:

I'd like to get 64GBs. Does it matter if I get 2x 32GB sticks, or would 4x 16GB sticks be fine? I thought I read something saying that 4x sticks might provide better performance, but I can't seem to find that info anymore.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Klyith posted:

2 sticks is easier for the memory controller to run, which if you are on Ryzen is usually the more important consideration. If you get 4 you need to pay very close attention to your mobo QVL, because many sticks are only validated to run in 2x configuration.

4 sticks can be faster than 2 if they are single-rank memory in both cases, but it's a) a tiny difference not worth really worrying about and b) at 32gb your sticks will be dual-rank, which means no difference between 2 and 4.

This is what I was looking for, thanks!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Does anyone have one of the Lian Li Lancool Mesh II cases? Looking at it over the Fractal Meshify S & C. Temps look really great for it, but I'm curious if anyone has any first hand experience with it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

PageMaster posted:

I had one and eventually returned it for a meshify. I didn't complete my build in it before returning so I can't say much for performance (though reviews show outstanding performance), but the build quality and features were solid and comparable to the meshify in my mind (and at a really good price). The only thing I didn't like was pretty petty, but he two variants (either performance or RGB) each come with a preset button or switch on the top io panel (color change for the RGB, fan speed presets for the performance). I didn't want RGB and like to use my own fan adjustments beyond the presets on the switch so I would have had a sliding knob that didn't do anything on the case. Outside of that I couldn't find a reason not to recommend it.

Thanks, appreciate the insight. I don't really care about RGB at all. I'm still trying to decide between the two as I really like the performance and price of the Lancool II, but I prefer the look and front header of the Meshify S. For some dumb reason I like having separate headphone and mic inputs and a working USB C port (apparently $15 extra for the Lancool as far as I can tell).

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

You could also do the "pro gamer move" of buying a decent EVGA 2xxx RTX card now and, within the next three months -- likely when there will be new 3xxx cards available -- apply for EVGA's buyup program. You send in your EVGA card and pay the difference for the new one.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Leaks seem to indicate that they will be doing the founder's edition again.

Also, holy poo poo the 3090 is monstrous....and I kind of want to get it:

https://twitter.com/GarnetSunset/status/1296891307999338496?s=19

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Speaking of ram kits, what should I look for after building my PC when working with two ram kits instead of one?

For the timings I was looking for, I was only able to scoop up the amount of ram I wanted in two ram kits instead of one. I'll be running a Ryzen CPU as well, which are apparently kind of finicky about ram. Back in my dayyyyy you just bought ram in pairs and tossed it in and it was good enough.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Some Goon posted:

Pop it in, see if it hits it's speed, start mucking about with the Ryzen DRAM calculator and timings in the bios if it doesn't. It's not guaranteed to have problems, but as you get more and faster RAM it's more likely to. Getting a kit means the manufacturer has confirmed that the included sticks will work together at the numbers on the box.

Also, the memory controller was much more of an issue on earlier Ryzen gens. I've heard people say Intel's is still less finicky, but given that Zen2 will run at 3600+ I'm not convinced the differences at this point are more than academic.

Perfect, thanks. I was looking for CL 16 @ 3600 and ended up finding a couple kits of Crucial Ballistix with those and timings of 16-18-18-38. If I can at least hit those timings out of the box I'd be happy.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

erenoyo posted:

What would be a solid upgrade from a GTX 960 that's under $400? No size or PSU restrictions

You can find 2060 Supers for just a hair under $400. That said, new GPUs are being announced in like three days and will likely cause a whole bunch of used cards to go on the market over the next few weeks.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

blue squares posted:

Been following the thread so I can learn more.

My question is about the new RTX 3070 card. I have no interest in buying one now, as I just bought all my stuff, but a couple years down the line maybe. From what I have read ITT and online, I would be able to put an RTX 3070 into this PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (has 1 PCI 4.0)

A couple years down the line there will probably be something better than the 3070 at its current price point. That said, you're going to be just fine if you want to toss one in there a couple years from now.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rhaka posted:

So in I-don't-quite-get-it terms, you can buy a B450 mobo now which will work with the new AMD CPUs when they release, or you can buy a B550 mobo/the new hotness alongside the new CPUs in X months?

You can buy a B550 now and it will be compatible with whatever new CPUs come out over the next few months. They have almost exactly the same future-proofing that x570s do.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Joda posted:

I'm sorry, are we just not going to comment on that 117C motherboard reading? Is that normal for that board?

Definitely looks odd given the normal temps of everything else.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Just wanted to thank all the goons that helped me out to put together a new machine that will hopefully last another eight years like my current machine. The most important part of a new build is now complete: Taking a picture of everything in the boxes!

I made a few changes since I originally asked for input:

Motherboard: I was originally going to go for an x570 and then I saw the Gigabyte B550 Vision D -- a motherboard that I don't think I'd actually recommend to anyone. At $250 it's quite pricey, especially for a B550. I'm not sure the heatsinks even do anything, and I couldn't even find benchmarks for it anywhere. Also, it unfortunately doesn't have a USB-C header even though I really wanted a case with one. D'oh. That said it has Thunderbolt, Intel lan and wifi, the lanes are divided up pretty sensibly, and it looks clean as hell and not very "gamery". But really, I just love the look of the thing: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gN7p99/gigabyte-b550-vision-d-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-vision-d

CPU cooling: I was going to go with a Be Quiet Heatsink+Fan and went with the Corsair H100i AIO instead. I'm pretty sure it's not any better than the heatsink+fan coolers, but I've never built with an AIO and it looks nice.

Ram: Ended up going with two kits of Crucial Ballistix because I couldn't find a 64gb kit in white that was CL15 3600. I'm hoping they work just fine together.

Hard Drives: I went with an SN750 for the boot drive, and a WD Blue SATA SSD for some extra storage. I figure once some good and affordable PCIE 4.0 drives come out, I can just move the SN750 down and throw in the faster 4.0 in the first NVME slot.

Case: I went with the Lian Li Coolmesh II over the Fractal Meshify S2 because I'm a bit worried about the motherboard temps and wanted a case that I knew had really solid case temps without too much work. Also I've wanted a Lian Li case for a very long time and I've never been able to afford one. As it turns out, the case looks incredible in person and I'm very happy with the decision.

Thanks again for all the help and input; I'm super happy with what I've picked out and can't wait to put it together with my son this week!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Klyith posted:

I was a bit concerned about this too, since with the water cooler you don't have direct airflow onto the VRM like a normal heatsink does. That can be an issue with some boards. So I looked it up.

It's got a 14-phase VRM with 55 amp DrMOS power stages. :aaa: It doesn't need heatsinks. That thing is so ridiculously overpowered, even your 3900X is using like 1/5th of the power it could potentially deliver.

$250 is silly for a B550 mobo, but between the thunderbolt chip and the VRM you got something for the money. Post pics when you're done, that's going to be a pretty PC.

Awesome, thank you for the insight! In my research I didn't really see anything that jumped out as being truly terrible with regards to the temps, but I figured I'd play it safe just in case. It's good to know that it's not something I really need to worry about!

And yeah, the motherboard is easily $100 more than what I should be spending, no doubt. I figure since I'll likely be using it for almost a decade, and putting it to good use doing a ton of 3D modeling and rendering, that it was worth the extra money to get something I was really happy with.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm slowly starting to put everything together and I now absolutely love the look of this motherboard. It's still definitely not worth the price, but it takes great photos, and I'm all about striking a balance between good aesthetics and quality performance.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Love the look of this. If you are going all black/white I would love to see a completed picture when you are done!

Thanks! I am planning to go all black/white. Here's a progress shot with the motherboard, AIO, and top case fan in. I still need to put in two fans on the bottom, the PSU, the extra SSD, and run all the cables. At this rate, I'll probably be able to order a 3080 and have it arrive before I'm done.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm at peace with it. A little spot of color is fine with me,and people know I'm not totally cheating with color adjustment in the photos :)

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sean10mm posted:

If you think that's huge, check out the D15S lol

I'd love to see a build with the D15S and a 3090. I'm not sure you could even see the motherboard underneath the two of them.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Samadhi posted:

Do we know what time of day on the 17th the 3080 cards will go on sale? I asked in the GPU thread but they're busy arguing refresh times and benchmarks

Looks like it's 9am EDT. No idea about in-store times. It's likely there still be a few sites that jump the gun on that time, so I'd start watching as early as possible if you really want one.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Yay, my MSI Bazooka and Ryzen 3600 and Coolermaster Hyper 212 are here, I can't wait. Should be easy to set up, let me just check the mounting and CPU and fan install instructions to make surJESUS CHRIST what the gently caress

These instructions with all the variations on different types of install circumstances are like the world's least clear choose your own adventure game.

I'm glad you said something because I felt the same way. I spent a good few hours going back and forth between three manuals and a bunch of youtube videos trying to figure out how to install the AIO and wire up everything in the case correctly.

The instructions for the mounting bracket on the AIO were especially egregious. They just said 'use the included AMD mounting bracket in this orientation' with no mention of how to even get the old one off. Turns out, you have to loosen like eight screws and then you can pull the original bracket off.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Tyro posted:

3. Add one or two slim 120mm intake fans on the bottom, pointed directly into GPU fans?
4. Install an 120mm intake fan on the side panel directly above the Wraith Spire cooler?

My guess, based on the size of the fans you have in your diagram, is that you'd have slightly negative pressure in your case. I'd probably go with one of the above two options to just to get more cool air in there and help lean it towards positive pressure.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Aquila posted:

I've been asked to spec computers for my nephews (let's say ages... 6? and 16???) to play fortnite on. Both have crappy computers, the older an all in one (presumably with integrated graphics) bought without consulting me, and the younger a ~5 year old intel NUC I built from parts (it worked for fortnite, somehow). Turnkey whole system purchase would be nice, otherwise I'll probably have to build them and I live ~4 hours away. They are very close to a Microcenter and Frys (is Frys still alive?).

I came up with this build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CdXHV7 Which will probably be more than they (my combined two sisters, mother, and grandmother) want to spend for christmas presents. This is based vaguely on what I'd build for myself, but I haven't built a gaming PC in 5 years or so

My questions:

Which is the best budget CPU and is it worth the savings over a Ryzen 5 3600

How cheap can I go on the motherboard?

What graphics card should I aim for?

How much ram? 16 or 32?

Is 500gb enough storage?

What are the current favorite brands? In the past I've had great luck with Corsair and EVGA for most things like gpu, power supplies, memory.

Displays will probably be some sort of 1080p $100-150.

I know this is the PC thread, and I really don't want to start a big discussion, but if they aren't going to use the PCs for much else, it might be worth it for them to just get one of the new Xbox S's for like $25/mo for two years. Tons of games included with that price, and likely better performance at that all-in price point. If they need to do PC stuff they can get a cheap laptop or use the NUC or something.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Aquila posted:

This is a really good idea. My only concern is getting one by christmas.

Definitely a valid concern. Stock for electronics in general is pretty low right now.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

There are motherboards that have Thunderbolt built in but not a whole lot of them. The B550 I just built with has 2x Thunderbolt ports, but the motherboard also cost $250 which is about $100 more than what anyone should pay for a B550. There are probably some cheaper boards out there with Thunderbolt.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I know this is kind of a long shot, but if anyone picked up a 3080 Founder's Edition and decided they don't actually want it, hit me up! Willing to pay what you paid for it, shipping and handling, and a little extra for your time!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, buying a new EVGA and then using the step-up is likely to save you money, assuming the program is available to you.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

well, gently caress. at least it runs fine, but is there anything I can do about this? I’d like to be able to close the case, lol.

Could try taking a dremel to the end of the bracket. Looks like it would a tight fit but you could probably get the case on over it, with a little bit of bulging.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Did you double-check the header pins from the power button were plugged in correctly? Could have accidentally swapped +- since they're so small. Doubt it would cause much of an issue, but could be why your power button only turns your machine on and not off.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Also my followup to anyone who can look at my build- I’m curious why the monitor refresh rate and resolution is so important? Is there some graphics card compatibility issue? Graphics are my least concern when running games so long as it’s not full potato.

E: This is the monitor that I already ordered for other reasons, I could probably return it still if I act real fast. Is there some factor I'm missing?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088BC5HMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 75hz refresh rate, 2560 x 1440

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nxRscT

A couple things I can think of:

1. That's an IPS monitor with highly accurate color representation for sRGB and rec 709. If you're an artist, those things are very important to you. If you're not doing highly color-accurate art, then you're paying more than you really need to be for a monitor. A TN-type monitor would work just as well if you're just doing some gaming, while saving you at least $50.

2. Your 1660 Super will average around 65 fps at that monitor's resolution (2560x1440). The monitor has an option to run at a refresh rate of 65 hz, which you would only really want to use if your fps was consistently above 65fps. Here again, you could be paying more for something you are likely not going to be using effectively.

If you wanted to save ~$60 for effectively the same monitor I'd recommend this Dell one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G8SH4QJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KqCEFb5B40V22

Edit: If you're not picky about monitor size, but still want high performance, this monitor would be a great fit for your graphics card, while saving you $100. It's 24", 1080p, but 165hz:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TNM8L6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4xCEFb9XTWQVH

Gearman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 4, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Klyith posted:

:barf:
Unless I did *nothing* but game on a PC, a TN monitor is not what I want in front of me.

TNs are much better now that they used to be, especially with improved backlight. You can still get really bad ones, but most are pretty good these days, especially once they're color-calibrated (which most people still don't do, even though they should). I do highly-accurate color work professionally, and have had to use some TN panels in a pinch -- for most web content they're just fine. If you're using it as a primary monitor, directly in front of you, then you really don't see much of the off-angle issues either. If you've never used an IPS, and don't really care about high-contrast quality, then a TN is perfectly fine given how much you can save by going TN over IPS.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Have any of you goons gotten a notification from EVGA to buy a 3080? Per the forum post they said they'd have inventory back in stock this week but I haven't gotten an email and now it's the end of the business week :shrug:

Per the forum post, they're now using a queue-based system for purchasing. When you click on the 'notify me' button for a GPU, they put your email address in the queue. They will then send emails only to the people in the top of the queue for the number of cards available. Those people have eight hours to make a purchase. If those people don't buy cards, then emails get sent to the next people in queue. You haven't received an email because they likely haven't reached your spot in the queue yet. Given the current stock limitation, I wouldn't expect to see an email for weeks, if not months, unless you were very quick at signing up for a notification.

Also, I will likely be upgrading to a 5900x, and selling my 3900x once I have the new CPU. If anyone is looking to build a couple months or so from now, and is interested in a barely-used 5900x at a discount, drop me a PM and we can work something out. If not, I'll probably toss it up on SA-Mart.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I soured on AMD years ago, and for the past decade I've been using Intel. My new pc is AMD.

Pound-for-pound Intel beaten by AMD pretty much across the board in performance, even moreso with AMD's recent announcement. Intel pushing back their 7nm chips to 2022 due to a flaw in production is also bad sign. And the comparison between vulnerabilities in AMD vs Intel (https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-amd-most-secure-processors) only makes things worse for Intel. The Intel of today is very different from the Intel of the past. There are so a few occasions where it makes sense to go Intel, but if your decision is based around brand loyalty, I would strongly recommend that you look at performance of both companies within the past few years.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Asema posted:

I guess the question then becomes the 7 3700x is still pretty good performance and will last me awhile yes?

Yes it is still very good performance, and excellent price-to-performance value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am currently doing research for my PC build. I think the RTX 3070 (when they come out) would be the level of price I am looking at for a GPU. Is that going to be good enough for 4K gaming if I upgrade my monitor to one that supports 4K?

It really depends on what you want for frame rate and settings. It'll probably be good enough for 60fps at most graphics settings, but no one really knows yet.