Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I'm considering building a new 1440p gaming PC since, well, I originally built the one I'm posting on in 2011 and it's reaching its limit for what upgrades can do. I'll post again once I have a coherent parts list, but two questions in the meantime:

1) Should I still trust logicalincrements.com for general parts/build recommendations? I'm using it as a starting point and swapping (compatible) stuff out as I see fit, not thinking it's computer-building gospel.

2) Is there any reason to get a mobo with built-in wifi, or should I just get the $20 cheaper version and get a reasonable PCI-e wireless card? Or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Hmm, my local Micro Center has a sale on the R7 3700X for $270 with $20 more off if you bundle with a mobo, and that's what I was thinking of getting for my ~max settings 1440p 144Hz~ gaming build. The mobo I am looking at is Gigabyte Aorus Elite WiFi X570 AMD AM4 ATX for $209, meaning ~$460 for both cpu + mobo. Looking at ~$1500 max budget (you can guess where that number came from).

Suspect that it's overkill from what y'all have been saying, since the heaviest lifting it'll be doing is games and some Photoshop. Should I jump on this, or is it so overkill that I should really just be looking at Ryzen 5 2600?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.14 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($7.45 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($72.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1114.05

Looks like it comes with a Wraith Prism CPU cooler, though, so I probably wouldn't need the Dark Rock one, right? And re: case, do y'all think I would be able to squish all this into a mid tower or should I just commit to a full tower?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Klyith posted:

The 3700X/x570 is overkill if you're a frequent upgrader and expect to do this again in a few years, less so the longer you plan to keep it. Probably you'd be fine with a B450 board like the gigabyye b450 aorus pro wifi. Main thing that gets downgraded with a B450 is only 1 m.2 slot and using it disables 2 sata ports. If 1 nvme drive and 4 sata drives will be enough for your storage needs, go with that.

The intel 660p is a QLC drive. They're fast for games & light apps, but slow down as it gets full. If you are going to a microcenter, I suggest you should instead get an Inland Premium drive (the microcenter house brand) for $10 more. Those are good TLC drives that have no caveats.

The stock wraith prism is a decent cooler, but it still isn't a quiet one when the CPU has load. If you care about noise while playing games or such a full tower cooler is justified. OTOH you don't need the arctic silver, stock coolers come with pre-applied thermal compound.

Those components will easily fit in a mid-tower, there's not much justification for full towers these days unless someone is a storage packrat and still has a bunch of 3.5" drives.
A couple of pages back, but thanks very much for your feedback! I wouldn't call myself a frequent upgrader (I am posting from my 2011 build that has only gotten a new SSD, GPU, and wireless card since), so I'll def weigh the price differential against that and the fact that I really don't need tons of storage. Also super good to know Inland Premium is reliable!

I know future-proofing is a lost cause, but if I don't wanna switch out my mobo in the next 5 years at least, would it be worth investing in an x570 over a B450? Or is that irrelevant?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

For Windows 10 - is there some kind of Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade shuffle that can make that cheaper?
I just upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 for free last month, worked totally fine with the Windows 7 key. Microsoft said it would stop working but it hasn't, so :shrug:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

JT make sure you blow out around the CPU heatsink too, not just the case fans!

I am now getting desperate for a motherboard, everything--let alone the B450 Tomahawk Max I've been trying to nab like everyone else--is unsurprisingly instantly out of stock. :negative: So it looks like my local Micro Center has the ASRock X570 Steel Legend (which I was originally looking at) back in stock for $180 as of right now and I'm debating going for it. I know the ASRock BIOS ain't super spiffy from other posts ITT but while I'm not super experienced with building, this isn't my first build.

Should I snatch this up while I can or keep trying to hold out for the Tomahawk Max/another reasonable priced B450 or X570 board????

e: lol, out of stock already. Oh well. But, if it comes back would it be a reasonable choice when there are so few other options in stock? (for a 1440p 144hz Ryzen 7 3700X gaming build)

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 12, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Thanks for this, was finally able to grab one! Hoping the PSU I also backordered is decent, went by previous thread recommendations and got a Corsair RM650 (80 Plus Gold so I figured I can't go too wrong with it).

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

re: cases

Klyith posted:

I just look at newegg, they've got good filters and carry almost everything that's good. If you want to avoid glass then the selection is limited unfortunately. Glass is what's in.

If you want two 5.25 drives, I'd grab the last of the Fractal R5s rather than a full tower. They're good cases for fit & finish.
I know the Fractal Design Meshify C is the standard recommendation, but I was wondering if y'all had any thoughts on other manufacturers' ATX mid tower cases that have decent airflow (more important than silence) so I can feel out my options. Normally I'd go actually look at the drat things in person, but... yeah.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Klyith posted:

The Phanteks P400A is also frequently pointed to ITT as being good + slightly cheaper than Fractal. P300A is also good if you want the smallest possible full ATX case and don't mind a difficult build (buy an extra fan or two because it only comes with 1).

But like, do you have anything you're looking for besides "a case with good airflow"? Cost? Size? Glass vs no glass? Because a lian li O11 dynamic has good airflow despite no mesh front, but it's huge and expensive and weighs 20 pounds.
I'd say in terms of case priorities, in order:
  • can fit my 11.6" GPU (Gigabyte RTX 2070S Windforce 3X) and ATX board
  • good airflow/cooling
  • not massive and not super heavy (but I'm not gonna be moving it around a lot so some heft is fine)
  • not tiny (probably don't want a difficult build)
  • not incredibly ugly (plain is fine, just without stupid gamer angles jutting out all over)
  • at least one, preferably 2, USB 3.2 gen 1 type A ports (would be OK with 3.0 but this is a plus)
  • sub-$150 but not on a super tight budget
  • somewhat quiet
  • a window is nice but low priority (and I don't care if it's acrylic or glass)
Bonus feature would be having screws that stay attached to the side panel when you take it off. A minor thing but losing those little fuckers is something I always worry about. Also I'm willing to get my own/replace case fans.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Klyith posted:

The be quiet Pure Base 500DX might be a good one to consider, though it only has 1 USB 3 type-A port on the front (plus a C). It hits most of your bullet points other than that (including captive screws).

Otherwise, you could get a P400A for a fair bit less cash, or wait for the Lian Li Lancool II.

Any USB 3 type-A port is the same, the version number is determined by the controller. There's no difference between a case that has "USB 3.0" or "USB 3.2" printed on it but the label.

USB C is different, I believe you need the ones that terminate in the new special gen 2 header to get gen 2 speeds.

OTOH

If this is what's making you less sold on the Meshify C, you should know that the angled stealth-fighter stuff on the mesh panel is a lot less noticeable IRL than in the product photography. It's still there, but it doesn't jump out at you nearly as much. Store and even review pictures amp up the contrast by using lighting angles that show it off.
Thanks very much, I'll look into those! I was wondering why USB 3.0 & 3.2 were being used interchangeably in case specs, that makes sense. And yeah, that was giving me a little pause re: the Meshify C, but that totally makes sense, and looking at actual build photos you're totally right--still considering it as a solid option. :)

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I had that happen a while ago when the CPU heatsink/cooler pegs weren't all actually pushed in all the way but it sounds like you've probably checked that.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

All of my parts* have arrived, AAAAA SO EXCITED!!! :derp:

So before I plunge in, do y'all have any advice (or a guide) on how to test your components, like, on a table, before you install the mobo and everything else into the case? Is it as simple as "do everything but installing in the chassis, you dumbass", or are there other considerations to pay attention to? I can't seem to find anything useful poking around on Google.

Build's here, if it's relevant: PCPartPicker Part List

* okay fine I still need to decide whether I need more case fans (came with 3 x be quiet! Pure Wings 2 installed, there's room for 2 more 140mm) and whether I want to get an aftermarket heat sink/cpu cooler, but I figured I'd wait to see how hot it runs before committing to those...

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

It's up to you how to go about building it. You can plug the CPU and RAM into the motherboard and try starting it up with everything sitting on the desk first, but make sure the motherboard is sitting on a clean, non-conductive surface - If in doubt set it on top of the anti-static bag and foam block it was packed with. With the B450 Tomahawk there is a group of error indicator LEDs just above the ATX power connector. With the CPU and RAM in if you power it up you'll be looking for the "no video" LED to turn on, or if you did install a video card for this test then you'll want to see the "no boot device" LED turn on. If you get one of those expected errors then you should be good to go. If you get some other error like no CPU, no RAM, or no power up at all then it's troubleshooting happy fun time.
Thanks so much for encouraging me to do this... because I think my PSU might be DOA. :mad: It's a Corsair RM650.

Connected it to the mobo (both the 24-pin and CPU one), nothing. Tried swapping out the power cable (the one that plugs in the wall), nothing. Tried different outlets, nothing. So finally I tried the paperclip test... and still nothing, fan won't spin when I flip the switch.

Anything else y'all can think to try before I send this fucker back? I'm really glad I didn't waste time putting this in the case!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Agent355 posted:

If the paperclip test doesn't get a PSU to spin up that fucker is dead and there's nothing to do about it.
Welp, I'm glad it's not something stupid I'm missing... :sigh: Guess an RMA it is.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

YAY, I got a 650 W PowerSpec PSU (80+ Bronze was the only one available unfortunately) for the meantime and finished my build, and it all works!!! And I wasn't somehow stupidly doing the paperclip test wrong like I was worried, my previous PSU was definitely DOA. It was actually super tough to get this PSU in there because of the height. I thought the PSU shroud was removable but it is very much not. But holy poo poo, installing Windows was incredibly fast on that M.2 drive with USB 3, goddamn!

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my case's front USB C port (case is be quiet! Pure Base 500DX). The MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX doesn't have a header for the USB 3.1 Gen. 2 Type C connector, so I'm looking at adapters to connect to one of the USB 2 headers instead. I don't care that it's not going to be as fast, I just want to be able to use the port at all. I looked for converters, but could only find ones that convert to the USB 3 header like this one and I already need to use the one USB 3 one. I guess I could get one of those and also get a 2.0 to 3.0 internal header adapter, but that seems dumb and I also found this PCIe card that seems like it could take care of it. Is that the best solution? Any reason I shouldn't get the PCIe card besides the fact that it will be blocking the only unused PCIe slot? :v:

Also, even less necessary, the front LED strips on the case ain't lighting up, I assume because I wasn't able to connect the ARGB connector (and I guess SATA connector???). I would need to get something like this Cooler Master controller in order to get it working, right?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Klyith posted:

Re USB C: do you have anything that needs a usb C port yet? Even phones that have a C charge port on them generally come with a cable that ends with type-A on the other side for now. If I was you I'd just forget it exists until I had something to plug into it, and then decide what to do.
I just got a USB C keyboard, but I could use the back port for that. It was more out of concern that it would become harder to find the right USB 2.0 connector if I end up looking later, but if I can just get a PCIe card then I shouldn't worry about that, yeah?

Klyith posted:

Re RBG light strip: if you plug in the sata power connector, you should be able to cycle through basic colors & patterns with the light button on the panel.
:doh: shoulda known that was what I was missing! Case LEDs are working fine now and I don't need to buy extra RGB bullshit.

Also the stock AMD cooler is indeed relatively loud at low load! It isn't bothering me for now but I may eventually replace it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

GeorgieMordor posted:

Hmm, interesting. That is a very good point. Is it still worth partitioning them if I went with a single?

Might be silly but I do like the physical separation of my boot drive from apps, though maybe that's just an uncessary habit left over from using HDD for so long?
The benefit of having a separate system partition like that would be that you can more quickly and easily back the partition up separately from the rest of your data, and you can restore for a mostly-clean system. The benefit of having a physically separate drive would be that plus if one drive fails, you don't have to restore everything from backup. But personally, all that is more worth it if you have a small SSD + big HDD setup, and I decided not to bother with either with my new (1 TB SSD) build this time. Got tired of having to manage the space on my partitions once they started getting more full on my old PC.

e: Oh, and I remembered another question I had: I was pretty aggressive with cable management, and I know you're not supposed to bend SATA cables too much, but are there other types of cables I shouldn't be bending at acute angles? I have a bunch of things doing a kind of U-shape and wondering whether that's gonna cause issues.

The others are kinda hard to see but what I mean is like how the ATX 24-pin and GPU power cables are bent:

(also how tf do people take pictures of their windowed PCs without reflections ruining everything! :mad:)

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 4, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

That Works posted:

Also, for the video card, I was looking at 2060 Supers vs 5700, I don't need the system to be dead quiet, but quieter would be better and I would consider paying a little more if it helps that. The reviews for the card I chose were mostly agreeing how quiet it was, but a few of them talking about noise being a problem :shrug:
Not exactly what you're asking about, but if this is the case, I'd pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler. I'm using the Wraith Prism that came with my 3700X and it's definitely noisy under load.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

When is it time to replace an old PSU that appears to be working totally fine?

I've been continuing to use old PC in addition to the gorgeous new one the thread helped me with. The PSU I have in it is the not-very-good one I built it with way back in 2011, which only came with a 3-year warranty. I don't have any sort of equipment for testing how well it's working. I've had absolutely no problems with the thing as far as I can tell, but drat it's been in there a long time, and I'd prefer not to fry this computer.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

lol that's what I thought, just the excuse I needed to get a fancier one for my new build and move its placeholder to the old one!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

mynnna posted:

Is this just that other manufacturers have caught up and Samsung isn't the unquestioned go-to anymore, so the (hysterical) premium isn't worth it?

e: this question probably says a lot about when the last time I bought an SSD was. :v:
Yup.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Yes, you can put an SSD in a laptop, they use the same form factor. Just be sure to get a 2.5" drive, not an M.2 drive.

Task manager isn't reporting disk space usage but disk bandwidth usage. Either it's paging like crazy (and probably is with only 4gb of ram), or you're trying to load more things than the slow HDD can keep up with. Or something is bugged somewhere.

My advice: do both upgrades. 4gb of RAM isn't enough for Windows, and no one should have to use a hard disk in this day and age.
Yeah, I recently installed a cheap SSD (did you know there are Hyundai-branded drives???) and some more RAM into my husband's abandoned 2012 laptop, and it's legit shockingly fast for something that old when starting up or doing light stuff. Anything involving heavier processing not so much, but that's what my other PC is for.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm case shopping.

What ATX cases do y'all like the aesthetics of? I'm tired of drab black boxes.

I'm wondering if I can find a case with the following:
- Separate chamber for routing cables (I'd like to keep the main chamber uncluttered)
- No optical drive bays (I don't need 'em, reduces clutter, maybe even allows the case to be smaller)
- Large aesthetically pleasing window
- Hard to shatter (I have pets who might, for example, knock something off my desk onto the case - so no tempered glass tops)
- No dumbass "we tried to make it look like a Ferrari" weird angles, big openings, etc. (Example of one such case I think is hideous)
- Front or top USB and USB-C connectors

I realize aesthetics are extremely subjective, so I'm fishing for opinions.

Also, what are some case features you have enjoyed and which aren't obvious things to shop for? Anything to add to my list above?

So far, I think I like this Fractal Meshify case, but that's after a pretty casual search. I also wish it was available in more than white and black. I'd like to see more options.
I had similar criteria and I'm very happy with the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX that Klyith recommended me a while back. Front panel has 1 USB-C and 1 USB-A port, and is at an angle like the others people have been talking about. Thus far it's been awesome and has had fantastic airflow, comes with some nice case fans too. The cable management is :discourse:, and for ~aesthetics~ while it is mostly a black box, it has a nice side window and a lot of options for the front LEDs even without syncing RGB bs, plus some subtle RGB strips inside. Oh and I think there's a white version (yup).

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 6, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Heads up for people looking to build, Fractal Design Meshify C is on sale currently at Newegg (and sold by Newegg, not a 3rd party seller)! :) e: Showing up as $79.99 with the promo for me, cheapest I've seen it recently.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 12, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I'm looking for a 2TB SATA SSD since my partner has already managed to fill up a lot of my new build's M.2 drive :sigh:... any reason I shouldn't go with this Crucial MX500? Looks like it's not QLC, and $210 seems pretty reasonable...

e: I should mention, it's not urgent, so I could wait for prices to go down or other deals.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 12, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Klyith posted:

Good drive, and just over $200 is about as cheap as 2TB TLC drives get on any regular basis. Unless "not urgent" extends all the the way to like black friday or something, I'd just get that.

OTOH as a secondary drive a QLC SSD has a lot fewer downsides, especially if used for games & file storage type jobs. Right now the samsung QVO is on a $175 deal at bhphoto which is some moderately decent savings (and the first time I've seen that samsung at a price I'd consider recommending it).

Mu Zeta posted:

I have the 1tb version and love it. It's a workhorse.
Thanks to both of you! I'll have to do some more thinking about excluding QVL, that's a very good point about the use case.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Samadhi posted:

How are the be quiet! case fans/products in general? I am trying to make my new build fairly quiet, and with the Fractal Meshify C case I was going to get 2x 140mm fans for the front, and possibly replace the stock fans the case comes with. I was also looking at their CPU fans, possibly the Dark Rock 4, as well.
I have the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX case, which came with three 140mm Pure Wings 2 fans. The thing is dead silent at low load and very, very quiet on high load, and has pretty drat great airflow. I'm a fan. Ended up adding on 2 more Arctic F14s in because I could, but I doubt I needed them.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

PCIe wifi adapters: any particular recommendations?
I put one of these in both my desktops and they've been working great thus far: Asus PCE-AC58BT PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter both wifi and Bluetooth

only thing is I couldn't get the drivers to work with Windows 7, but I doubt that's an issue for most people lol (it was way past time for me to upgrade that one to 10 anyway)

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

tuyop posted:

Took the thread’s advice and catproofed my power button.

nice but does it have RGB????

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

can I just throw a :swoon: in here

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Just don't cut yourself somehow on the motherboard. Then you're golden.

(I was sober when this happened. I still don't know how I managed to do that.)

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I/O plate. They're typically sharp as gently caress. Some manufactures include a "NOT SHARP I/O PLATE" as part of their marketing.
It was from one of the edges of the heatsink, I was trying to wedge a fan that I should have put in earlier above it I think? The mobo is a B450 Tomahawk Max so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. :v:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

feedback loop posted:

Linear spacebar is more important than heavy spacebar imo
I think this is the first time I've read someone's post that appeared to be apropos of nothing and known exactly which thread they meant to post in instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

posting with a decade old i7-2600k with 16 GB RAM that i've extended the usable lifetime on by installing an SSD and a 1070 GTX Ti.

i'm looking to upgrade to a new rig that does a lot of heavy lifting; i own and use some very CPU and GPU intensive software like Maya, Premier Pro, ZBrush and Unreal Engine.

would this thread recommend Intel or AMD? I'm still leaning towards Intel at the moment.
Good to know I'm not the only one out there still using my i7-2600K, lol. (Hooray for "your CPU is too old to do zoom backgrounds without a green screen"...) My 10-year-old beast is still going strong too with an SSD, R9 290, and more recently, a replaced PSU (goddamn am I glad the old one died peacefully... 7 years after its warranty was up :ohdear:).

Anyways the standard recommendation is to go with AMD, they're much more reliable and excellent for the price than they were back in 2011!