Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
My son is getting to the age where he wants to play computer games which brings a tear to my eye. Currently my PC looks like:

Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600.
CPU: I5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z87M-G43
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black Silent MATX Mini Tower

For current gen games (Fortnight, RaindowSix Siege, CS:GO) if I just get a decent current gen graphics card could I extend the life out of what I have now? Im not looking for it to be Ultra high def graphics but id like it to play smooth at 1080p 60+ fps. Id like to keep costs down as much as I can and wait awhile for a new full system build but if I have to shell out $800 - $1000 for a new computer now I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

tehinternet posted:

I have literally this build. Upgrade your video card and you’ll crush anything at 1080p. I’m using the 4670k now with a 1080 Ti (I know, bottleneck) at 1440 Ultrawide and usually getting 60+ frames.

The games you listed are all a few years old, so yeah. At 1080p if you went to a 1660 or found a used 1060 (probably even lower) or something as you’d be golden. 1080p @60hz isn’t a high bar to meet anymore.

E: just saw that you’re building for your kid — that’s the whole reason I’m upgrading myself. ‘Sup building computer for kids buddy? I’m stoked for them to see the difference from the Xbox to what they’ll have now. With the sales and the hardware I had laying around, got to build them two 1440p 156hz AMD 3600x /1080 Ti boxes for like ~$1k altogether. There are some decent case/RAM sales happening right now too.

Double e: though I did pull the trigger on an upgrade and had a question — what’s the recommended cooler for an I-75-9700k in a mid-tower?

I remember how excited I got as a kid upgrading PC parts so hopefully he does too. This was exactly the advice I was hoping for. Going to go with a higher end card which I can then move to a new build 1 or 2 years down the road when I get a new cpu/board.

Thanks for the help!