Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey, goons

I'm at the point where I've come to terms with having to buy new PC stuff since my current setup is old af and can barely keep up with the current world of gaming. I already know that I need to buy a new case, main, GPU and probably RAM sticks too but I'm unsure if I need a new CPU as well. Currently I'm using an intel i7-4790 with four cores. My quick search on the net told me that the cpu still is okay but after reading the op I'm not so sure anymore as the part about CPU talks about six cores as the current basic place to be at. So I guess my old CPU should go into the attic then? Also I'm still using a HD drive since that's what I grew up with and change is scary but since everyone is talking about SD drives as the hot thing to use I assume I should change to that too. Would be neat if someone could educate me why those are better aside from the size I guess. For reference, I mainly use my PC for gaming/entertainment with some occasional video editing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Speed is the answer.
Thanks. Can you elaborate where that speed actually matters? I'm only semi-competent when it comes to computers

sean10mm posted:

What are the rest of your specs? Amount of RAM, video card, etc.?

Aight here goes. Sry for not including it before

CPU= intel i7-4790
GPU= Nvidia Gefore GT 710 2048MB (lol)
Board= ASUS Z97-K (probably also a lol)
RAM= 16gig (two 8gig sticks, DDR3)
HD= HITACHI HDS721010CLA330 (1TB)

My soundcard and OS probably don't matter :v:

orcane posted:

That said the (non-k) 4790 is another 10% slower clocked than the 4790k, can't be overclocked and might be paired with slow DDR3-RAM on a non-Z mainboard. It might still be fine for a lot of stuff, but if you run a software configuration crippled by Spectre mitigation or want to try high refresh rate / e-sports stuff, get ready to replace your stuff.

And don't buy new DDR3 RAM even if you can find it and your mainboard supports it, at that point cut your losses and go with a new platform and DDR4 stuff.
I'm honestly not looking for peak 60fps performance and am comfy in the mid-range. But I'm fairly sure my board is old and bad and the current gen of GPUs also seem too big for my board/case so that's another factor that drove me in the direction of buying new stuff.

Thanks for the input, everyone

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Some Goon posted:

It's a really bad time to do a new build. If you get a new GPU, provided you can find one that will fit in your case (PCIe is backwards and forwards compatible, so any card will work in your motherboard), your rig should be perfectly usable, the 710 is by far the weakest point in it and any GPU could be carried to a new build. You might be CPU bound sometimes but 60fps really isn't that high a bar.

Also, very yes buy an SSD. Games will load markedly faster, but moreover so will everything else. Startup no longer takes minutes waiting for things to load and startup programs, there's no delay when opening a folder or a file; it completely changes the idea of responsiveness in a computer. I had to use a HDD in a work computer for a while and everything felt like pulling teeth after using an SSD for the last ~4 years.
Thank you for the info! Can you elaborate on why it's a bad time? I mean I'm aware of the general time around us being bad atm but I'm not in a pressure situation where I can't spend the money

And yeah I knew that my GPU is a pos by current standards but I'm surprised that my board is still considered decent given the age and ddr3 slots

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Some Goon posted:

COVID has hosed supplies making things hard to get and, especially for PSUs, much more expensive than they have been. Add in that new CPUs out of AMD and new GPUs out of Nvidia later this year (though the latter probably isn't real relevant to you since it will mostly impact the high res / high refresh crowd) and buying all new parts right now results in a situation where you're paying inflated prices for soon to be obsolete tech. Since your CPU probably has some life left in it, buying a GPU and seeing if that gets you the performance you're after is a safer bet with really no downsides.

Your stuff is old, no doubt about it, but between Intel spinning their wheels and the long-rear end console generation there hasn't been that much movement in the CPU space. More cores is the biggest advancement, but 4c/8t CPUs haven't shown any issues yet. The non -k ness of your CPU may be limiting eventually, but for 60fps is probably able to keep up in most cases, though that's going to be a game-by-game kind of deal.

Since you have a Z series motherboard it will have an unreasonably high resale value for people who did buy the 4790k and are willing to throw good money after bad rather than just buy a new CPU and RAM.
Thanks again for the detailed info! Stuff like that really isn't apparent for the average consumer.

Funny that you mention PSU prices btw. It all started with my PSU dying a few days ago where I to scramble to get a new one cause I had an online exam the next day. I picked up a Be Quiet System Power 9 from my local shop for like 10 bucks above the average online price which is kinda par for the course for small shops I think. Seems like I got "lucky" in that area then :v:

Anyway what I'm taking away from this is that I'm picking up a new GPU and an SSD and should evaluate the other parts at the end of the year again. Will check out GPUs today and call up my uncle about an SSD. He's been hounding me about switching to one for the last two years and will probably be happy to hear from me on that front

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Hey, folks.

After upgrading my old GPU as advised itt I grabbed an 860 QVO 1TB SSD to upgrade away from my HDD next. But since the SSD is so smol I haven't installed it yet due my old case not being able to hold it. My uncle (my usual go-to in PC matters) advised me to buy an icy-dock so that I can just slot the SSD in there instead of looking for a tray to hold the SSD inside of my case. Seems sensible to me since I have a bunch of space for "drives" at the top part of my case. Wanted to move the SSD there anyway since the HDD is currently at the bottom of my case and gets into conflict with the heat of my new GPU when both are taxed. It shoots up to 54c pretty quickly in such a case so I'm avoiding any such activities for now until my SSD is up and running.

Anyway... icy-dock yay or nay?

And what model should I as a general consumer grab? Currently looking at the flexiDOCK MB521SP-B since that seems to be what I want/need but I could be wrong!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

sean10mm posted:

You can literally just stick a SATA SSD to any surface in your PC, it has no moving parts and it doesn't matter where you put it. Getting a mounting bracket or whatever for it is kind of silly.

I used some stick-on Velcro to put it on the floor of my case next to the PSU, it doesn't give a poo poo.
Huh, I wasn't aware that an SSD can be handled like that. I mean I still want to have it be screwed in since it's going to the upper area of my case and I wouldn't trust some tape to hold it up there for the next few years.

I guess I mostly went along with the idea of a dock because I think they are cool and I kinda want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've used both internal and external docks from Icydock and they've been perfectly fine, though I have had a couple of times where my server's cache drive has overheated inside this but the airflow in my server's not the best and my house's AC was out at the time so ambient temps were also higher than normal.
Thanks for the feedback! I ordered a double slot dock so that I can add another SSD if I decide to get back into video editing at some point in the future