Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I haven't had to purchase an upgraded computer for about 4 or 5 years now, and I'm really thinking about it. This current system is a mishmash of stuff that is quite dated, and it's beginning to show.

I currently have this:

and I'm considering replacing it with this

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($406.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $904.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-25 21:00 EST-0500

Intended purpose: smooth gaming at 60FPS or better. I already have an excellent case and PSU. My question is, if I buy the new parts, will it be a marked upgrade over what I currently have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Klyith posted:

60fps on a 1080p screen, I don't know that you really need a CPU / full system upgrade. The CPU isn't what's holding you back in any event. Check some games comparisons (vs 2600X because they don't have a 3600), any place where a game can't keep 60 fps both CPUs are a letdown. And most games where there's a gap they're both up in the mid-100s fps.

A new video card should be all you need for your requirements. If you want to build a new system anyways, maybe think about waiting until the 2nd half of the year when 3000 CPUs start going on sale because Zen 3 is coming.

Get the SSD now for sure though.

Do the numbers in those bars represent frames per second? If all I need is a new GPU, that's pretty great news.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

When I eventually get my Flugaloo Bux I'm interested in upgrading from my current set up

to this

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1200.91

I already have a nice Fractal Designs full tower, an EVGA SuperNova 650W G3 80+ Gold PSU (maybe 2 or 3 years old now,) and a WD 1TB SSD ready to go, which is why they're not listed above. I'm trying to get marked improvements in overall gaming performance with less stuttering, higher frames, etc. I've noticed that at times, alt tabbing into youtube from a game causes some hang up with the video playing, or lag, which suggest it's time to upgrade. I welcome input and suggestions if anyone sees some glaring flaws in this build.

One thing that concerns me is the warning PCPart Picker states, which is some 540 motherboards may require a BIOS flash before the Ryzen 5 CPU can be used, which will make my system dead in the water if it can't support the CPU when the parts arrive. Is the likelihood high that this may be the case?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Klyith posted:

The MSI Tomahawk Max (and other suffix-Max boards) is immune to that warning, they all work OOTB. Pcpartpicker just doesn't have an exception for them.

Only input I have is that by the time your pandemic cash arrives, we will probably be at maximum supply chain disruption, even if we have the actual pandemic more under control. So I would say don't get too eager for your free government gaming PC just yet.

Dang. Other than that, do you do the new components as being a choice upgrade from what I have now?

Speak of the devil I JUST got my relief check.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Klyith posted:

Good standard build. My one other idea would be that if the HDD is meant for just bulk storage (music, photos, other fairly inert data) you could switch down to a 5400rpm drive. You get less vibration noise from the drive.

That card looks pretty much like it's a 2060 cooler on a 2070, so it's gonna be hotter and/or louder. Not sure how bad though, most 2070s have a lot more cooler than they really need (gotta justify $500 somehow).

That build is considered standard now? Geez, I'm way behind.