Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I want a new PC and I am confused.

I checked out MikeC's guide, and everything is crossed out due to incoming processors I guess, and I'm unsure if it's still relevant. If I should still "BUY NOTHING" then I don't mind waiting a wee bit, but it'd be nice to spend the next lockdown with a fancy new machine. Otherwise, the last time I built a computer was probably around 2012 and honestly I feel like I've forgotten everything about how to compare all of these parts- it is pretty overwhelming. I'd like to pretty much just replace everything as some of my bits (just the box and an old harddrive really) date back to the Windows ME era and it's struggling to play newer games even on the lowest settings. Having skimmed this thread a little bit, it sounds like buying a new box might be a good idea, even just for some better heat distribution.

At the moment, I really want to play Bloodstained and CKIII, or Skyrim with mods, or use the Dolphin emulator without my machine struggling, but I'm sure there's loads of other stuff I've passed up on because my specs weren't high enough. I have no idea what my monitor refresh rate is, but I've never had a problem with it; it cost me £20 from a second hand shop, so probably not good. The only multiplayer games I want to play are the stuff my friends play (usually platformer-puzzlers, RPGs or strategy games), and I never play with loads of strangers so I don't think I need an amazing refresh rate?
I do a bit of graphics work- only very basic editing or stuff with vectors, and my current machine can handle it, so I'm sure any future machine would be able to too.

Ideally I'd be spending less than £1,000 (US$1,300), but I am quite flexible having abstained from upgrading for so long- I don't mind spending one or two hundred pounds more if it would significantly better my experience. Although I definitely want to buy a new harddrive (at least 1TB would be good), I'd like to use my old ones too, though I could probably toss out the one from 2000 as the amount of physical space it takes up is ridiculous.

If anyone could give me some pointers or a good base to start from that'd be really lovely of them; I look at everything PCPartPicker has to offer and my mind just boggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

'buy nothing' means 'wait until zen3, 3000-series and 6000-series are out'. Of these, the 3000-series is 'out', both in the sense of 'technically people have cards' but also in the sense of 'out of stock' because demand is super outstripping supply for the moment, because the 3000-series cards released offers a ton of performance over the prior generation and because of covid stuff. The scarcity means that the releases haven't put meaningful downward price pressure on the lower end of GPUs. Zen3 comes out this week, so it's not clear if it'll have the same issue with shortages as the 3000-series. The 6000-series has been announced, and while the consensus is that they fall behind nVidia if you account for DLSS and raytracing, they _might_ be a bit more reasonable to get a non-scalped card than the 3000-series.

To sum up, we are still in a place where 'wait unless you need an upgrade' is still in effect.

Some general advice for your use case, hopefully reduces the plethora of options

GPU: If you are using a cheap 1080p 60hz monitor then in the current market a 1660 Super would be fine.
It's likely that the changing GPU market will take quite a bit of time to affect this price point, and in the lower end the 1660 super is the yardstick for price-to-performance against which everything else is measured. If you want something fancier you should probably also dip into the monitor thread and find a nice 1440p 144hz monitor, since there's no point paying hundreds of quid for a GPU just to be throttled by your refresh rate.
CPU: I see a paradox game in your list, so I would err on the side of overbuild. The recommended option is likely to be a Ryzen 5 5600x after they release this week, but if that ends up hard to get one's hands on I will suggest a Ryzen 7 3700x as a substitute. Looks like both of these come with stock coolers, which is fine if you are ok with noise but if not you can consider a reasonably cheap CPU cooler like the Arctic Freezer 34
Motherboard: Filter for B550 boards, it looks like the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI is still a solid value board in the UK.
RAM: most 2x8gb kits of 3600 DDR4 ram should be fine here
Storage: Get an SSD for your boot drive, full stop. you can use your other drives for storage if you want but do not boot off of a hard disk. A 1 TB western digital blue SSD seems like a reasonable choice. Probably not worth it to fill your motherboard's M.2 slot with a SATA drive, so I would recommend going for either a 2.5" sata or a M.2 NVMe. In North America the SN550 is a great NVMe choice but it actually looks like it's 10 pounds more expensive than the SATA version in the UK
PSU: get a gold-rated power supply from EVGA, Seasonic or Corsair. Most of these have 7+ year warranties, getting a 10 year warranty is a nice bonus. I would suggest 550W if you're going with the 1660 super
Case: to taste, make sure it has room for your existing drives

This is really excellent advice, thank you. I really have no idea how I managed to build a machine all those years ago without becoming overwhelmed by choice. Do you simply know all of this stuff through reputation or do you spend time learning about all of the new products?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Wow, this is going to be an upgrade for you.

Yes! I'm excited to play new games and games I've missed out on over the past decade. :)

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Biggest thing is upgrading to an SSD, it's probably the single biggest performance increase in the last 20 years. And now you will want an NVME drive and not a SATA!

Modern case design has improved a lot, even in the last few years, so that will be a treat for you.

Luckily you don't care about hugh monitors or 4k/144hz gaming, so that will save you a few hundred bucks on graphics cards!

It is super overwhelming to look at it all after so long, so let me give you a jumping-off point that you can theorycraft with the thread:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3400 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($293.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1109.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-03 13:15 EST-0500

If you keep up with the thread for a few weeks you will absorb this knowledge through osmosis.

This is a great starting point thank you. I've compiled a machine using yours and FreeKillB's suggestions, which looks like this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£276.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (£28.79 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.94 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£59.14 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£102.91 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card (£249.95 @ More Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Core GC 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£70.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £987.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-04 16:52 GMT+0000

Hopefully I haven't missed anything critical, though I think it all fits well. I'll trust your judgement regarding the case as it's pretty difficult to judge how well ventilated it is or how easy it is to clean just based off the images and occasional review.

On the PCPartPicker website I receive an error message with this motherboard reading- "the ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the SeaSonic Core GC 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply does not". I'm not sure if this is a fault of the website or something else, but there doesn't seem to be a single documented PSU with this type of connector that also has a gold or above rating.
Also, on the manufacturer's website for this board it says it has "M.2 Key E for WiFi", but it looks like the SSD would be taking up that slot. Would it be possible to attach a wifi adaptor in a different slot?

Cheers for helping out this ignorant luddite!

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for your help everyone, I have my computer all built up now, though I am having a problem-
The graphics card does not have a vga port meaning it can't be plugged into my old monitor; it isn't a massive problem for now, as I can just buy an adaptor, but while I was testing out the machine to see if it worked, a little red light popped up on the board next the words "VGA". Now I'm hoping this is because the graphics card isn't plugged into anything. Could that be the case, or is it more likely there is something wrong with the card? It seems to be powered as the fans are turning around, but perhaps it could be a pins problem? :s

FreeKillB posted:

Thread's moving fairly fast, just wanted to add in a note that unless I'm mistaken the Pro4 is in a tier where ASRock motherboards do not have any kind of debug LED. Looking at manuals for budget B550s, the only thing I can say definitively is that it looks like debug LEDs are present on MSI's boards (I checked it for the Pro-VDH max at least). It's not a dealbreaker (my most recent build used a comparable ASRock mobo) as long as you don't have any trouble hooking things up but I wanted to highlight that as a potential feature that could save you a significant headache if you have issues getting things to post.

You are mistaken FreeKillB. New technology is amazingly useful. All these little lights telling me what I've done wrong!

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

vanilla slimfast posted:

How old is this monitor? VGA stopped being the standard for interconnects a long time ago

I don't really know how old it is. Old enough to not have a hdmi port I suppose! I bought it cheaply (£20~) about three years ago from a second-hand shop.

quote:

You can’t use a simple adaptor to plug it in as it requires active conversion to go from digital (DisplayPort or HDMI) to analog (VGA). For the price of an active conversion box, you could just buy a new monitor. 1080p 60hz monitors in the 21” range can be had for less than $100

That is excellent advice, thank you. I'm glad I posted about that. I didn't want to buy a monitor, but I suppose I'll have to.

quote:

I believe the VGA light on your mobo is telling you that it detected a video card is installed, you just don’t have anything to hook it up to right now

I hope you're correct. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

vanilla slimfast posted:

I believe the VGA light on your mobo is telling you that it detected a video card is installed, you just don’t have anything to hook it up to right now. In this case, VGA is being used as shorthand for “video card” and has nothing to do with the interconnect (confusing, I know)

Yep! Turns out you were right. I thought since it had a RED LIGHT, it was something more worrisome. Just tested out the computer using a neighbour's monitor and everything is dandy.

Cheers again everyone!