Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Zedd posted:

I want to run this setup:

Main monitor (HD for now, QHD eventually) to run games and poo poo.
Side monitor (HD screen) - no games on this one.
TV Monitor (4K) - Shows same as main monitor.

Any things that would prevent me from that? The TV wouldn't always be turned on for obvious reasons.

I do exactly this (previously with a 970 and now with a 2060) and it works fine.
I set up the Main+Side monitors first, with the TV disabled. Then set up TV with Main+Side disabled.
Once this is in place, you can easily switch between Main+Side and TV using the WIN+P shortcut. This gives you an easy way to cycle between the different sets of outputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Here's what I currently have been happily running for the last few years:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor (running the stock Wraith cooler)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
My usage is mostly 1080p/1440p gaming, ideally 144Hz when possible.

According to the motherboard docs, my ASUS Prime X370 Pro will run up to Ryzen 3x00 series CPUs with the latest BIOS.
I'm considering keeping the mobo and just replacing the 1700 with a 3600 or 3600X before they disappear from stores forever, as this will likely be the last upgrade the mobo can take without starting again from scratch.
Is the 3600 a realistic/noticeable upgrade from the 1700, considering it would be going down from 8C/16 to 6C/12, but going up in clockspeed?

Both 3600 and 3600X in in my local store, with the 3600X priced about 10% over the 3600. If I prefer to stick with the stock coolers, is one a better option than the other?