Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm going to be building a new pc with a budget of about 1400 in the next one to two months. Does it make sense to buy stuff as I see deals for it, even if I won't be able to test parts for another 4 to 8 weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? Gaming, vr gaming, minor machine learning data analysis stuff.

What's your budget? 1400

If you’re doing professional work nope, this is mostly dissertation work.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920 x 1080 59 hz refresh rate

About all I really know is I want to get the 3070 gpu, I have an extra graphics card I can plug in till I snag one, but I might do the evga step up program as well. I'd like a computer that can play high modern graphics and be more future proof for upgrades years down the line. I'm open to buying a new display if my current one isn't worth bringing over. Below is a list I pulled from pc part picker but I really don't know much about all this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.09 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: *Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($188.35 @ Walmart)
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($72.34 @ B&H)
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($108.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $778.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-08 14:35 EDT-0400

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

sean10mm posted:

Random observation: Arctic Silver isn't really the best thermal paste anymore, but also you don't have an aftermarket CPU cooler selected... so what's the paste for?

I thought I needed it to attach the cpu? Like I said, I don't know much about this. Only built a pc once before and it was about 8 years ago

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
OK so with that system it's worth getting a new monitor when a good deal comes out, that's great to know.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
ok i'm back with a different list that wasn't just pulled from the pcpartpicker site.

What country are you in?:
USA
What are you using the system for?:
Gaming, VR gaming
What's your budget?:
$1500
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?:
Nope
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?:
1440/144hz. Looking to make sure I can link via USB to the oculus quest 2 and game that way.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($187.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($69.95 @ B&H)
Storage: *Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $957.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-14 20:46 EDT-0400

My major concerns are the case and fan as I know nothing about them and just kinda picked based on previous recommendations I saw. I want to make sure there's USB 3 on the front of the case, and I'd like it to be semi quiet during use so I'm not sure what the best choices are for case cooling/CPU cooling. Otherwise I would like to try and hit the price/value curve.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I checked the op and didn't see it, but is there a guide to actually putting together the pc? I can Google a generic guide but was wondering if there was a goon approved one. Only put together one computer before this 7 years ago and want a refresher.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks folks appreciate the tips for building

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Can anyone help explain how to set this up? I have a phanteks case and there's a fan controller built into the case. Do I just connect all my fans to this? Where does this connect to the mother board? The case manual doesn't have anything about it

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thank you. So to be clear, all the case fans connect to this, then this connects to the 2nd cpu 4 pin slot on the motherboard. The cpu fan still connects directly to the first 4 pin cpu slot on the motherboard.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thank you. Nerves are a thing!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
It all ran correctly on the first try! Woot! Installed windows and shut it down to tie everything up. Are there any guides to fan management like that? Also, I have an old laptop with a windows 7 key that I don't use anymore. Can I use that key for this? I tried during the initial install (no internet) and it didn't let me. I can go to the sa mart if needed, but thought this would be a nice way to send off a 13 year old laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I might have managed to get one off zotac. I have an order number anyway and they charged my account. Fingers crossed