Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IIRC, EVGA b-stock 1030's are about $50-60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Stickman posted:

Case: The 200r is a good case, but it's starting to show it's age. The Meshify C has better airflow and is easier to work in! You won't go wrong with either, though.

Yeah, I've got a 200R and it's aged roughly, especially because there's tons of space wasted in the 5.25 bays that I don't use. I also find that the 2.5" bays are a huge pain in the rear end to access. Enough so that I've got my 2.5" drives slotted into 3.5" bay adapters so I can fit them into the 3.5 bays, which are easily accessible. It's also pretty fuckin' loud.

It's fine if you're on a tight budget, like I was when I built this computer, but if you can afford nicer you should definitely do so IMO.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Are there any mobo/case/cooler recommendations to go with a 3600 in mATX or mITX?

If I decide to go with another mid-tower build I'm going to go with the Tomahawk Max and the Meshify C, but I'm wondering what's available in the smaller form factors because they'd be way more convenient to fit on my desk.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Klyith posted:

1. You definitely won't damage anything. Modern CPUs are pretty much impossible to damage via overheating, the worst you can do is make them throttle. Play around with fan curves in the bios, the only downside is the time you spend twiddling with it. MSI have a GUI graph thing where you just drag control points around, very easy to understand.

Just to clarify this, you can use MSI Afterburner to control fan curves even with a non-MSI card. I'm using it with my Sapphire RX580 and it works great. Super easy, you just drag the line around.

EDIT: oops, I thought this was about GPU temps.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Two questions:

1) What would a good CPU cooler be for a 3600 in the Fractal Design Nano-S? I'm not intending on overclocking, so the Wraith Stealth it ships with would probably be fine, but I'd prefer something a bit quieter. Fractal Design website says maximum height of 162mm.

2) What's the current go-to recommendation for a graphics card for 1080p with reasonably high settings in the sub-$500 range? I've got an RX580 right now. According to the website, maximum length is 315mm, maximum recommended thickness is 39mm. I'm assuming a 2060, but maybe some variety of 1660 Super or an AMD card?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Shouldn't think you need a cooler for basic office work?

Yeah, shouldn't need an aftermarket cooler for this. Ryzen 3300X comes with the Wraith Stealth, which should be more than adequate.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Thinking of going with something like this for my next upgrade. Thoughts?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.59 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $719.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-06 04:38 EST-0500

PSU is not included because I've got a 1 year old Corsair RM650 I'd be reusing for this build. Graphics card is undecided, would probably use my RX580 while hoping to pick up a used 2070 while people are upgrading.

Mostly, I'm wondering if I'd be better off going with the MSI B55M0 Pro-VDH Wifi for the motherboard. It's significantly cheaper and I could use that money on the graphics card.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If the Ryzen 3600 us $220 right now and the 3600XT is $233, is there any reason to not go for the XT?

Also, is there a recommended mATX b550 motherboard? I'm never quite sure what I should be looking for with motherboards, aside from enough ports and USB slots.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 10, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, most likely. Trying to keep the noise down.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zarin posted:

5). I'm really struggling for a GPU recommend. I WANT to say "wait for a 3070" but I don't know if that's even a reasonable recommendation at this point.

Can always get a lower end EVGA card that's available now and use the step up program to go to a 3070 if they want the extra performance.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Can someone elaborate on this, or maybe give me a picture or something? I've seen that mobo/case combination recommended upthread before and wasn't able to find any complaints with a quick Google.

The USB header circled down there in the bottom right faces to the side of the motherboard, and in that case there's not much clearance to get a plug in there unless you use a right angle adapter.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just so you know, the 212 is a fine cooler but installing it loving sucks and it was easily 50 percent of the time I put into my build.

Imo, at 40 bucks the 212 isn't worth it. Spend the extra $10 and get a Scythe Mugen Rev B or similar. Much easier install if it'll fit, and I think it's short enough for the nano s.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

As far as easy to install coolers go, the Scythe Mugen rev b and their Fuma 2 are really easy to install. After installing a 212 and an older zalman before I was loving shocked when the Fuma 2 went on in under 20 seconds without it ever feeling like I was going to break something.

Just don't lose the screwdriver it came with, because you need a long shanked screwdriver to install it or remove it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm guessing he's talking about a headphones-and-mic headset and not a VR one.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If I just want general office and internet bullshit and no dual monitors, what's the shittiest graphics card I could get away with if I'm using Windows 10 and a Ryzen 1600? My mother needs to replace her dying computer and I've got most of a Ryzen 1600 box just sitting in my closet that I could give her, I'd just need to throw in a new PSU and some kind of GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Why would you bother replacing the PSU 'just in case' but not bother to replace the cables? The cables come with the new unit so all it costs you is a handful of minutes of unplugging and replugging.

I can't understand how it could be bad enough to be worth dropping ~$100 on a new PSU while also not being bad enough to justify taking a couple of minutes to swap out half a dozen cables.