Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? Who knows
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?: 1440p / 144mhz
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? All of the Ultra

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.94 @ Office Depot)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1751.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-09 21:06 EDT-0400

How's this looking. I already have the 10900k and I know with the AMD news that a lot of the sphere are over there but I'm not going back to AMD for a good while thats just dumb poo poo on my end, I get it, I really do, I just don't trust AMD lmaoooooo

I have a 1080ti i'm gonna slot in there until i can get a 3080/3070 hopefully but I originally had an Asus board on there but there were reports of the ethernet hardware they used by Intel being all sorts of hosed up and I couldn't find concrete evidence that it's been solved/fixed.

Asema fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

This all looks pretty good to me tbh, I'd just wait until the 3070 is on EVGA's step-up list before pulling the trigger on that.

I think the Arctic F14 that tops out at like 1300 RPM is the quieter model if noise is a concern.

I would cool that 10900K WAY more. Like stick a D15 on it or even a fuckoff big AIO (which might make you want to move to a bigger case like the Meshify S2 that can mount a bigger radiator and fit longer graphics cards even with a front rad). Especially if you OC that thing the power draw & heat output can get frankly loving stupid, like 320 watts stupid. A 3080 is like another 320+ on top of that, so if you're OCing you'd have one of the few PCs that IRL might want more than a 750W PSU.

Noctua NH-D15?

I have absolutely zero experience with water cooling so I'm trying to go with just straight air since I'm not planning on OC anything. What would be a good PSU to aim for?

Asema fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 10, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

That's the one.

If you are doing zero overclocking the 750 should be perfectly fine, but if you were overclocking both a 3080 and a 10900K you might find yourself not having much headroom.

Reading more into it between the i7 and i9, should I just drop that down to the i7-10700k? I'm not going to do 4k anytime soon, I rarely stream, and now you've got me worried about heat and power lmao :s

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like I said, the i9 is already bought and paid for so is it enough to cancel that, wait for the refund, and grab the i5-10600k or just go with it?

I may have been real quick with buying it due to coworkers hyping it up and saying how rare it was to be in stock so this is 100% on me lmaoooo

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

If you already have it and can afford it, just use it. It is fast as hell.

I've been planning this upgrade for about six years so I may have over-saved for it, I guess that goes back to the original question then, with just the DH-15 and not overclocking, everything seems okay? Probably going to aim for a 3070 over the 3080 though.

I wanted to use the Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E but like I said in the post, it apparently has a really bad Intel hardware/software? issue that just drops and I've seen no reports that it was fixed so I've went with MSI which I've never used before so I'm kinda sketch on it.

I guess I'm also apparently buying TWO of the computer parts since my wife has apparently been saving just as long as I have, but she streams art and has a cintiq monitor that's at 4k alongside games and stuff, so I'm assuming the i9 would actually be of use for her?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kingnothing posted:

GPU is going to matter significantly more at 4K than CPU. CPU matters more on 1080p and dependent on the application.

We won’t know till benchmarks hit, but the 3070 likely won’t perform super well at 4K (it’ll be ok). If you’re springing that hard on a machine than the extra $200 for the 3080 is certainly worth it. Add on top of it the fact that you intend to run 4K and I wouldn’t even consider the 3070.

She streams at 4k I think, or at least I know she streams from her cintiq which is at 4k and if I know her as well as I think I do, there's no way she's changed OBS settings to put that resolution down. Isn't streaming like heavily CPU ?

I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff for the i9, somethings were out of stock and had to be changed but I just went ahead and did it so I can spend next week building it:

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($649.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1918.83

is the final build I guess. Now to wait patiently for the 3000 series to be in stock

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saukkis posted:

That Samsung 860 EVO is overpriced and underperforming, nowadays there are better NVMe options available. I think the A-Data SX8200 is the usual recommendation at that size. You also shouldn't buy full priced Windows license, eBay and SA-Mart have much better deals. And with Windows 10 you probably want Pro for some of the extra features. Even recycled Win 7 Pro licenses are suitable for activation.

i haven't actually gotten the windows licenses since i'm lazy as gently caress and they go on sale all the time. i'll scrounge around sa-mart for them

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Butterfly Valley posted:

The intel processor is justifiable if you have a shitload of money and gaming is your priority but it doesn't make any sense if productivity is important too; Ryzens perform much better in that respect. And are a lot cheaper. As has been said GPU is much more important for 4k gaming.

I get it, I really do, but AMD burned me for half a decade on different products and soured them to where I don't want to deal with them anymore. I need you to understand that I get it, I get everything about Ryzen but I'm still not going to put their CPU or GPU into my case unless the numbers are hands away drastically better rather than the 1%-6% range everything has been at. I'm not going to poo poo talk AMD and I'm not going to push people to Intel because like I get this is 100% on me here, but I've touched that stove like four times and each time I pull my hand back and go "ouch" and I'm not doing it anymore.

She plays a poo poo ton of games too, but I know she also does a poo poo ton of drawing with her cintiq and streaming it on twitch/picarto, and the last time my dumb idiot brain checked into it CPU was real important for streaming not dealing with resolution.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spunkshui posted:

The GPU deals with high resolution gamming. 4k is hard GPU work, paying for extra monitor like that tends to mean it makes sense to pay for the GPU power to support it.

There's a reason AMD knows they can just jack their prices right now. If you want the best single core gaming performance they can straight faced say its them now too.

Blindly trusting a company because of past products is how a poo poo ton of people ended up with garbage tier OCZ stuff for years before they went under. Everything needs a review and every company has ups and downs.

AMD changed how CPUs are made, that matters.

A couple things:

I'm not blindly trusting intel and from everything I've read the 10th generation is a good set of CPU's. I do not want to go back to AMD because I've been burned on them so many times with my bad experience with their build quality, driver support, and customer support. This wasn't something that was "so long ago" but in the 5-6 years ago range. I've also been 100% up front that this is on me and I understand how they've made changes to it.

I've also went back and checked and for streaming it's still a CPU bottleneck. I have been explained to like sixteen times from twenty different people that 4k is hard GPU, I get that. But streaming is what I want to cover for her and her comp.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh loving jesus christ nevermind

Alright thread: Hit me with an AMD build in that price-range using air cooling. I'm going to cancel the i9 when I'm given the chance to do so

Asema fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 10, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess the question then becomes the 7 3700x is still pretty good performance and will last me awhile yes?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also that motherboard has a problem with it's Intel networking that I couldn't find if they actually fixed or if it's a hardware issue. I know that might not seem like a thing to worry about so you can ignore it if it's not something you think is worth worrying about.

When I was looking into it, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZJ2bt6/msi-mpg-z490-gaming-edge-wifi-atx-lga1200-motherboard-mpg-z490-gaming-edge-wifi this board seemed like a better one that didn't have the Intel hardware for networking.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I get the Ryzen 9 3900x or the Ryzen 7 3700x

The 3950x is like 800 and that's too much for a processor for me but what's the big difference between the 7/9?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, my understanding is the PS5, et al, have a hobbled version of the 3700X in their systems, so a 3700X should keep you :turianass: CPU-ready :turianass: for the new generation of AAA-titles.

That being said, you can save $100 by getting a 3600. That will be more than enough for the immediate future and you could then update to Zen3 when prices/inventories stabilize next year.

You are throwing prices around and my dumb gremlin brain is set it and forget it so I might go with the 3700x even if the 3900x is on the table lmao

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was playing around with this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($168.67 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($133.24 @ Amazon)
Total: $1516.83

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

TL;DR - 3600/3700X is the mid-range sweet spot right now, but if performance is the end-all-be-all and money is no object: wait for Zen3 availability.

Probably swap out that 3900 for the 3700 then because I'm impatient and don't wanna wait for zen3 availability lmao

Asema fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 10, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting that "pre buy" buttlerflies because I'm stepping back into uncomfortable territory even though I've been yelled at and bullied and beaten into AMD submission (this is a joke I luv you all) That build I posted was good right :negative:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreeKillB posted:

The one thing I would note is that the consensus is that for SSDs Samsung has become overpriced. Something like the WD blue or crucial MX500 in place of the 860 and something like the WD SN750 in place of the 970 will save a little money for the same performance.

going for the crucial and the sn750 respectfully, thanks.

But 750w psu should be enough for the 7 and a 3080 right? a friend told me to get 1000w and that seems like loving OVERKILL

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've done it. I'm gonna stop talking to this thread about the parts because they are purchased.

Now comes the anxiety of building.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kingnothing posted:

I’m glad you came around.

For reference, gamer’s nexus (one of the more independent, reliable hardware channels) rated “all of 2019 intel” as some of the worst components in all of 2019.

And things have basically gotten worse for them, not better. Additional security flaws, an important step up milestone being delayed, etc.

Your concern around AMD makes sense, but 5-6 years is a loving eternity in PC hardware. Someone else said that every piece of hardware needs its own separate independent review, and that’s basically true

5-6 years is very long in hardware, but in my dumb gremlin brain it feels like yesterday because i'm not getting old, i am still fresh out of college and super young and shut up :negative:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol so i may have ended up with the i9 anyway even though i cancelled the order and got my refund processed.

How long do I wait to give this to a friend for way cheaper as extra money.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my mobo came in a box that wasn't really sealed, most of the parts that came today had at least a sticker that i had to cut through except the mobo. Everything is in there, the stuff that should be in sealed bags are there, and the mobo itself is still in the anti-static bag with security tape on it.

Should I be paranoid is that fine

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I can't actually remember if the last time I've gone through this rodeo if the board was sealed or not, the big important one is the bag is not really tampered with so I just wanted some additional "stop being crazy" sent my way lmao

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everything but my psu came today :sludgepal:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how trust worthy is lodge north's SA mart thread because those prices? hello? how?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I built my new computer on like Thursday and it's been running great. Had some issues updating Win10 from my pro install that I had from like, years ago, but had to manually download and install it and it's been going just fine!

I'm also real dumb so I don't know how temps work and if they are good:

playing ff14 at maximum, at 2k resolution, the cpu is pretty much at like 50-55 range.

is that good or should I try to cool down the case more or get a better fan

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that makes me feel much better lmao, the fans are so loving quiet compared to my old pc and i've been worried about them even being on (they are) so monitoring the temp has been a back and forth of keeping the ryzen master thing on the second monitor making sure it wasn't getting too hot :(

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how much is throwing a 3080 going to loving destroy this temp, like the card should be able to cool itself down right and the airflow shouldn't be around the cpu?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bakalakadaka posted:

What's the latest hotness with SSDs? The last time I upgraded a pc I put in a 500gb SSD and a 1tb HDD and it looks like SSD prices are way lower since then. Any reason not to just get a new 2tb SSD? Any brands or specific models to avoid?

samsung is too much for the performance but i've been happy with my 1tb m2 and 2tb ssd that I got recently.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do m2 drives have a shorter shelf life than regular ssd?

i may have hecked up in my windows install and put windows on the regular ssd leaving the m2 drive for straight up games/other stuff and idk if it's worth it to swap it unless it's going to die on me because of it

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingKapalone posted:

How do you tell your queue spot or whatever at EVGA?

you can't, however there's a fan list out there that shows they are currently on 9/17 at about 8am.

Hope this helps! (I am 9/17, at about noon)

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I got my wife's components and started building it.

Turned it on, something immediately like, fried, or enough that a small amount of smoke came out and made the burned plastic smell.

So I hosed up somewhere, but I just don't know where.

It posted, was able to go into the BIOS and see everything there; the CPU, the RAM, the GPU, the NVME drive, the SDD drive, the HDD drive, and then I was able to run win10 from the usb stick and install windows. (CPU Fan was spinning, the two front fans were spinning, the back exhaust fan was spinning) What the gently caress fried? What caused the small amount of smoke? And I mean it was like, a very tiny amount and then the smell and then like, it was gone. Win10 installed but then couldn't connect ot the network, couldn't update the drivers as it said no network adapter found, so I took it all apart and I'm going to return the mobo (because this version of asus uses that intel 2.5 gb or whatever that has had some issues reported that I don't think this is connected?) but like I'm absolutely loving baffled as to what caused the smoke and why everything worked fine.

I didn't get to stress test the machine to see if it would fail under load but I'm assuming it would have. I'm puzzled and help?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moly B. Denum posted:

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing your network adapter popped.

Fair enough. But like people have posted about that on the internet anyway so I figured maybe it wasn't as simple as that

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the motherboard has no markings like that at all on it :/ which is why I didn't think it was the mobo but I can double check

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much does a SATA power cable supply? Like the one that goes from the PSU and has the long '------ connector?

The case came with a way to control fans that required a 12v with that sort of connector, but I didn't utilize those cables and just routed each fan into the mobo directly so it may have been that connector/controller since I still had it plugged into the sata cable? I accept I 100% probably hosed up here but could it be that?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kingnothing posted:

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Why would that be an issue?

Are you saying you powered the fan controller, but then didn’t connect it to the motherboard?

I mean if you had a loose, powered cable that was touching the board somewhere than maybe, but the contact points are so small and wedged inside plastic that’s rarely an issue.

I'm just grasping at straws and trying to figure out what exactly caused the magic smoke. The case's fan system wasn't actually long enough so I had to individually plug the fans into the motherboard, but that controller at the very top was still powered and I was asking how much juice does the sata power cable give? Because that connector asked for 12v and if the power cable gives more that might explain it? But I just checked and that controller, which was responsible for the power button, reset switch, and the RGB stuff seemed perfectly fine.

But again at this point gently caress if I know and I don't want to get a new mobo and either do it again, or have some sort of lingering problem :(

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I also just checked the Phanteks forums and I'm just left confused at this point. Trying not to make the same mistake twice I guess :(

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is like the first time I've turned a computer on and had smoke come out as results and I'm pretty shook about it.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's got one of those huge gently caress off blockers around the ports, but I'll take some pictures tomorrow as it's already back in the box and set aside to mail back to amazon and I don't wanna deal with it right now, tomorrow after I've had some time to sleep and cooldown from it all I'll take'em

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got like a weird thing with my PSU and I've been able to specifically hone in and figure it was my PSU but it makes like a drop clicking noise. It's not constant, it's not coil whine, it's enough of a noise that I thought it was my HDD being accessed kind of noise. But it happens on/off and I don't know if I should RMA the psu or if it's fine and I can live with it. I only really hear it when I'm not doing anything sound wise on the computer.

Edit; it very much sounds like a drop of water hitting glass and that's really the best description it can give. It's not whining constantly, it's not clicking constantly, it just sounds like a droplet of water hitting glass every 30 seconds or so.

Asema fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went ahead and replaced that PSU because of being paranoid but i'm going to keep it as a backup. (This was a post very long ago)

But the reason Im posting again is because I'm officially done! 3080 is installed in my comp and my wife's 3080 comes in on Monday so project 2020 new comp is officially completed :toot:

(mine was through luck on best buy, hers was through queue on evga's website)