Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Is this the time to upgrade my 6600k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

orange juche posted:

Are you running into issues that affect whatever you want to do with your computer? If the answer is yes, then the answer to "Should I upgrade?" is yes.

If you're still able to do everything you want to do with your PC, then there is no real reason to upgrade, as there will always be newer, better parts on the horizon.

That said, even if you're currently able to do everything you want to do with your PC, it wouldn't hurt to start consistently putting small amounts of money aside for an eventual upgrade.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a pretty good time to be building a new pc right now in terms of price. RAM and SSD prices are the lowest they've ever been. Just last year 16 gigs of ram was like $180 and now you can do it for $60. The Ryzen 2600 + mobo will be around $200 and will last for years. New video cards are plentiful and in stock everywhere selling at or below msrp since the crypto thing crashed hard.

I'm mostly trying to decide if I want to get some decent Ryzen sale during Black Friday/Cyber Monday or if I should wait for Zen 3 to be released in early 2020 supposedly.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

If I was waiting for Zen 3 I'd be reading reviews and user experiences for at least 3-4 months after release before purchasing. New architecture is always more expensive and AMD stated they plan to beef up the pricing next year since they are doing so well. They also always have numerous bugs to work out. Frankly the Ryzen 3000 launch was a confusing clusterfuck and I fully expect it to happen again. No need to be a guinea pig, let others tear their hair out trying to make new poo poo work.

I'd just wait to see if there are any black friday deals and if not, just get a 3000 system anyway since they are pretty stable now.

Most of those problems were because of a New Architectural. It shouldn't be as clustherfucky since AMD is just refining it's process.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

MikeC posted:

What exactly is your build targetting? It is hard to give generalized advice. I mean if you want to spend money then sure, now is as good a time as any but your requirements are a bit vague.

Basically gaming at 1440p, ideally over 120fps. I think I'm going to hold onto my 1080TI until the next generation Nvidia cards come out.

This is also the memory kit that I have. Is it worth updating for Ryzen?

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Stickman posted:

There are a few games that are starting to have frame rate stability issues with 4c/4t processors, but most are still just fine and the 6600k is pretty much king of 4c/4t. In order to see any performance boost you'll need to cpu-limited, which for newer games at 1440p means you'll probably need to turn down some settings to boost frame rate, even with a 1080 Ti. Even then, single-core performance hasn't improved that much since the 6600k, so you'll only see a small performance boost for most games. Your ram should also be fine: 3200 is still the sweet spot for price/performance+compatibility and there's very little real-world performance difference between ram in the 3000-3600 range.

Unless you're running into frame pacing issues in a particular game and you know that 4c/4t is the cause, I wouldn't bother upgrading now.

I am getting some framerate issues with Doom. I'm guessing that The Master Chief Collection is also going to struggle a bit if it ever comes out.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

MikeC posted:

That doesn't quite make sense. We are talking 2016 Doom? The 6600k should crush that game to the tune of 100fps. What kind of stuff are you running in the background? Do you have a lot of bloatware?

It's not really a FPS problem but a frametime problem with a 6600k. It keeps jumping between ~5 and ~20 milliseconds between frames which is annoying.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Is this a decent motherboard? I had a Gigabyte board in the past and it ended up dying on me.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite Primeday has it for $40 off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I managed to get a 5600x earlier this week but Amazon is saying it won't arrive till Mid February.

I managed to snag this 5800x last night though.

I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until February for when a 3080/6800xt might be more available and PSUs might be in stock again or if I should just get the 5800x and just suck it up and buy a power supply now.

I got both from the ATR-STONKS Discord if anyone is wondering.

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 15, 2020