Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hello PC thread; I think I'm finally at the point where I need a new gaming computer. The trouble is, I've basically stopped paying attention to the entire field some twelve years ago when I got the current one so I have next to no idea what's what in hardware these days. That being said:

What country are you in? Czech Republic. A little blob in the middle of Europe.

What are you using the system for? Gaming and writing/translating, although that probably isn't an issue. I would also like to have the option to record videos while gaming (which is pretty taxing).

What's your budget? Amounts to about 1500$ when the currency is converted; can go a couple hundred over if given a good reason, with 2000 being the absolute maximum. I would also like a monitor and microphone to go with it, which might factor in the budget significantly. Also need SSDs and sound (although that's probably integrated these days?)

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? For monitor, see above; for performance, I realize there's a lot of new gimmicks now but I would prefer, say, a card that can do raytracing in case it happens to be the Next Big Thing.

As for actual preferences, I think I'd take a Nvidia card over an AMD on the account of the former not having burned out in my computer so far. I know it's hard to predict the technologies of the future, but I'd like to be able run current games on high settings and hope for the best.

Thanks!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Harold Fjord posted:

You are in a funny spot budget wise and aren't very specific about your monitor? Do you need all new drives or do you by chance have some SSDs you already upgraded to? Do you want 1440 144 or to try pushing towards 4k? Because you could easily drop anywhere from one to two thirds of the budget into the gpu and monitor. But your probably looking at a 3700x and waiting for 3070.
Or, right, sorry. I'm not dead-set on 4k, basically just looking for an upgrade from my old 1920x1080 60 Hz. I will need SSD drives and sound - basically my current computer is in its death throes and I don't think I will be able to re-use much apart from maybe the 500 GB SSD (which is a bit too small for current games). Updated the post.

e: If it helps, I can probably stretch the budget up to 2k but really can't go above that. Updated the post.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 9, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I decided to present my request in a less rambling manner:

What country are you in?
Czech Republic, EU.

What are you using the system for? Gaming, streaming and recording gaming videos. Would like a ray tracing-supporting graphcs card, although it is not strictly necessary if it gets over the budget.

What's your budget? Maximum is 2000$ when converted, around 45000 CZK in local currency.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
I will be getting a new monitor at a later date, so I would appreciate advice on that as well, although it doesn't need to be part of the budget. I would like a 4k one eventually.

What I really need is a whole picture; if it turns out I can't get some of the components I can always go for individual comparisons but there is a lot of parts I have no idea how to pick (SSDs, coolers, boards, power sources, even the goddamn case - my old one is falling apart). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So far I've been told I should look for a Ryzen 3700x CPU.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 10, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, given there's very little chance of getting a 30xx card nowadays (especially in goddamn Europe), is there any point in getting a 2080 for a 1440p screen? Purpose is gaming and streaming/recording gaming; I currently have a 1050 TI.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 29, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of GFX comparisons, how does 3070 compare to the 3080 on current games? I can't get my hands on an 80 but a 70 is available to me, so I'm wondering how much the actual difference is.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hi, I have a somewhat weird question. I need to replace my gaming PC, but the only way to get a 30** card where I live is to buy it in a prebuilt computer. I realize this is an extra expense but that is a step I am willing to take; however, I have narrowed my criteria down to two computer sets. Anyone weigh in on which one is better/why are they both awful?
(names taken from the store page, can provide hopefully further info if required)

Set 1:
GFX: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MB: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE + WiFi WBAX200
RAM: GIGABYTE AORUS 16 GB KIT DDR 4 3733 MHz CL18 RGB
CPU Cooler: ARTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
SSD: GIGABYTE AORUS Gen 4 SSD 1 TB

Set 2:
GFX: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 XC3 BLACK
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF
MB: MSI Z490 GAMING EDGE
RAM: Corsair 32 GB KIT DDR 4 3200 MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB PRO
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100x
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Set 1 is more expensive than set 2 by about 250 dollars when converted.

e: Okay, seems like Set 2 is the way to go. Thanks!