Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'd be sceptical that you can run a full Linux environment under Windows just as if it were a dedicated Linux box. Although I haven't tried WSL for a long time. Last time I used it, when it was new, you couldn't escape the Linux environment and traverse the full filesystem.

I'd be more inclined to dual-boot or run Windows virtualized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

So, after getting increasingly bored staying at home, I decided to get back into a bit of gaming to fill some time and the option to indulge in a bit of escapism from the grim reality of the current times.

I figured I'd buy RDR2 as it seems to offer a lot of roaming and casual exploration, which I can dip in and out of and enjoy the ride until real life becomes more interesting.

It's currently downloading from Steam and there's one component which I expect will need an upgrade, which is my 4GB RX570 Sapphire Nitro+

I'm lounge-gaming on a 1080p 49" TV and my rig should cope fine, with the exception of the GPU.

It's a ITX case (NZXT H110i) with an MSI B450I Gaming AC board, R5 3600X, 16GB 3200MHz RAM and a 1TB NVMe boot drive.

I'll be ready to start playing and tuning the graphics in a few minutes and I expect that I'll have to have to make a few compromises to get a decent frame rate.

I don't have a lot of spare cash at the moment and I was wondering which GPU would be give me a decent experience until the next generation of GPU's are available? It seems a bit silly to throw a lot of money at a card right now, when there's more options coming up and possibly some good deals on the current range of GPU's when the next generation are available.

I'm in the UK and would like to spend around £200 on something that will give me nice enough mid-range graphics,

I was thinking maybe a 1660ti, since they are slightly cheaper than the 1660 Super but perform about the same. Then I thought it may be even more cost-effective to just get a standard 1660 if it'll play RDR2 nicely enough, while costing less than a ti or a Super.

Any recommendations for a card that will allow the game to still look reasonably pretty, whilst maintaining a decent frame-rate?

The H110i is a generously sized ITX case and I have a 650W PSU, so I'm not really limited by physical card size.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Klyith posted:

Did you mean vice versa with the Super and Ti? 1660 Supers are normally cheaper than the 1660 Ti, and yes the 1660 Ti is not worth paying extra for.

A 1660 Super is the way to go, they're hardly more expensive than the plain 1660 and a substantial performance boost. The plain 1660 isn't enough of an upgrade over your current 570 to be worth paying for IMHO.
e: If you're trying to squeak in under £200 the answer is to turn down settings on RDR2 and stick with what you've got.

I just assumed that the 1660ti would be slightly cheaper than a Super, since the TI has been on the market longer and if I scour eBay for a TI that looks like it has been treated well then a TI would be slightly cheaper than a Super. I also read that the performance difference between the two was negligible, but I do agree that the increased memory bandwidth of the Super is very tempting.

I think what you're saying is very pragmatic, though: why bother scrimping and saving maybe £40 on a card when I may as well go for the Super and have something that will give good 1080p performance for a good while. Especially since I am not a hardcore, 24/7 gamer.

I'm gonna look for a 1660 Super. Maybe a great looking 2nd hand one or brand new. Is there a 1660 Super model that's recommended for being particularly cool 'n quiet compared to the competition? I should definitely be looking for a dual-fan model if I want it to be on the quiet side, right?

EDIT: I had RDR2 running last night on my RX570 and it looks pretty good. I was getting average frames of about 55 with the graphics on conservative settings but I think it would be a whole much nicer experience with a 1660 Super @ 1080p and the graphics set higher.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 28, 2020

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

apropos man posted:

I just assumed that the 1660ti would be slightly cheaper than a Super, since the TI has been on the market longer and if I scour eBay for a TI that looks like it has been treated well then a TI would be slightly cheaper than a Super. I also read that the performance difference between the two was negligible, but I do agree that the increased memory bandwidth of the Super is very tempting.

I think what you're saying is very pragmatic, though: why bother scrimping and saving maybe £40 on a card when I may as well go for the Super and have something that will give good 1080p performance for a good while. Especially since I am not a hardcore, 24/7 gamer.

I'm gonna look for a 1660 Super. Maybe a great looking 2nd hand one or brand new. Is there a 1660 Super model that's recommended for being particularly cool 'n quiet compared to the competition? I should definitely be looking for a dual-fan model if I want it to be on the quiet side, right?

EDIT: I had RDR2 running last night on my RX570 and it looks pretty good. I was getting average frames of about 55 with the graphics on conservative settings but I think it would be a whole much nicer experience with a 1660 Super @ 1080p and the graphics set higher.

Just adding a conclusion to my earlier question. I've got an MSI 1660 Super Gaming X edition arriving tomorrow.

I'm currently playing the poo poo out of RDR2 today with my old RX570. It will be interesting to see the difference when I put the 1660 Super in, tomorrow :-)

Thanks to Klyith for the advice.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Does anyone else use Argus Monitor for a no-frills experience at controlling your PC fans?

I really like the simplistic approach and it seems to have no limitations, in that you can control any fan and have a poo poo-ton of temperature sources to look at.

I've only used it about 3 or 4 weeks but I think I'm willing to pay the 9 bucks a year or whatever.

If I go for the 3 year value subscription, can I then register the same key on a different installation of Windows, when Windows inevitably fucks up to the point where reinstalling it is easier than trying to troubleshoot?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Hmm/ You seem to be confident that my current installation of Windows will last three years without failing to the point of my burnimg a new stick with the Media Creation Tool and reinstalling. I'm willing to place a $50 bet on this, if you want. I'm a nice person, so I'm willing to donate my winnings to the institute for the dangerously optimistic.

edit: I hope I didn't come across a totally patronising there. The aim was to make fun of Microsoft and (you know what?). I genuinely had to look up thw word "patronising" there. So I've inadvtentently reminded myself how stupid I can be sometimes.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 30, 2020

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I got my 3600X a good few months ago. If I'd read this forum a bit more diligently at the time I probably would have gone for the 3600 and saved myself a few quid and some heat/power. That said, it runs really cool since I fitted a Hyper 212 Black Edition cooler to it.

Anyway, the point of my post is that I love my 3600X (even though the smart money is on the 3600).

You won't be disappointed mate. When I first installed Windows and started just generally dicking about: playing a few games, opening as much stuff as possible and flicking between programs to try and abuse my system as much as possible I was thoroughly pleased with my choice.

It's not like I'm a pro-gamer or anything, but I expect you will be very impressed with your choice.

---
EDIT: Just remembered that I came here to ask a question. Here it is:

What are the current options for ECC RAM with Ryzen/Threadripper? Usually AMD are more laissez-fare with ECC than Intel are. You used to have to buy a Xeon to get ECC working on an Intel but some mid-range AMD ones would work. Does it depend on the motherboard or do you have to go as high as buying a Threadripper to get ECC working on current AMD chips?

apropos man fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Today I swapped an ATX motherboard that has been a bit intermittent for gaming. I took it out and put in my MSI B450 ITX gaming A/C into the tower case.

It's working fine but the trouble now is that there's only one sysfan header on the ITX motherboard and I'd like three.

Is there a fancy splitter that would let me address 3 fans independently with Argus Monitor software, or should I just use a cheap splitter? All my fans are PWM and I'd like to retain a decent amount of RPM control.