Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

A punk rock song won't ever change the world but I can tell ya about a couple that changed me..
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? World of Warcraft, Microsoft Office, just basic stuff besides that
What's your budget? I’d like to spend 5-800. I don’t have Windows or a monitor so I’m trying to spend less on the PC so I can use a little for that.
Just need for WoW and school work
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? The one I’m looking at is 1920x1080 75hz

So I was gifted a $300 HP laptop for school and found it was able to run WoW, albeit not very well and it’s replaced my limited free time I’m able to spend on games now. The only problem is, I can only play solo stuff because anything with more than 5 people the laptop bogs down and lags horribly. I’d like to see if I could build a PC that could run the game well at decent settings. I saw the ~$700 build MikeC posted but researched a little and people said the game was not optimized for AMD so I wasn’t sure if that would still be the best bet. I might run some other FPS type games but I’m mostly concerned with performance relating to WoW.

The only other things I would be doing on the computer would be regular internet browsing, watching movies, and Microsoft office stuff for school. Another problem I have with the laptop currently is I can’t tab out of the game and run things very well. I don’t do a lot of intensive multitasking but the ability to open a browser with a game running and VLC in the background would be nice.

I’d like to keep it between 5-800 since it is just an hour or so a day hobby now that I have a wife and kids. I’m starting with nothing so no monitor or copy of windows but can probably get those cheap if they aren’t included in a build. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

A punk rock song won't ever change the world but I can tell ya about a couple that changed me..

charity rereg posted:

This is $820 and includes a monitor with your listed preferred specs. There isn't a lot of savings here, but you could drop down to the 1650 Super which sells for $160-170 sometimes to get under budget. Right now the Ryzen 3600 is the odds on "sweet spot," so if you skip the monitor that would be my recommended $800 spend. It's $190 instead of $120, so gets you to $800 even without monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced RAW 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB Twin Fan Video Card ($229.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $820.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-14 09:49 EST-0500

I wouldn't worry about it, the 3600 runs it around the same as an intel 9900k, which is hundreds of dollars more. Close enough for sure, and is cheaper & a much better long term buy IF AMD is telling the truth about sticking with AM4 on their next series of processors, you have a good upgrade path. https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ryzen-3600-wow/224034

edit: some savings does exist- you could get a bronze certified PSU and save a few bucks, as well as getting a 512 GB SSD, but those are more $/gig.

So I came back to this and unfortunately, the SSD was unavailable. I've been thinking though, would I be better off with this or using my little TV for the monitor and splitting the difference upgrading to the 3600? And for some reason, when I try to do that I get a compatibility issue regarding BIOS. Would that mean I would need to use a different MOBO? I'm a little out of the loop, the last time I was really into PC stuff was when I was stoked to put an AMD Radeon 9000 in my HP desktop.

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

some guy on FB posted:

Just trying to sell my old pc.
has a i7 3770 gtx 1060 3gb 24gb ram
320gb hard drive.
If you have any questions feel free to ask price is negotiable

Would it even be worth messing with this if I could get it for $350 and possibly upgrade down the line? Or am I better off shelling out the 7-800 on a new PC?

It would mostly be for World of Warcraft, older FPS games, and just general messing around.

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

So I kind of mix/matched a build based on MikeCs post and the other suggested builds. Thinking of pulling the trigger on this. Any glaring bad choices I’m missing? Also, I’ve replaced just about everything (GPU, RAM, HDD, put coolant on CPU) on a PC but never built from scratch. I assume with this thread and YouTube I could figure it all out though. If I were to get this, I would just need to install windows from a USB and buy a key from SA mart, correct? Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I drop $800.

Thanks for all the help by the way, reading this thread has taught me a lot.

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

So I’m still debating if I can justify spending ~$800 on a gaming PC when it’s usually a 1-2 hr a day max hobby now that I have kids. How horrible would performance for WoW and older games be with [url= https://youtu.be/FUjSVW1hj8w]this[/url] and a $70 Spectre monitor? I’m thinking of getting 16GB RAM instead. Was wondering if that would work for entry level and could upgrade CPU/GPU/etc down the road.

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

Stickman posted:

So going by current prices, that's a $500 system when you add in 16GB of ram. If you're raiding or doing other activities with a lot of players, WoW is pretty CPU-bound - I'd seriously consider upgrading to a 2600 (or an AF version of the 1600, if you can find them in stock for the $80 msrp). There's also a lot of corners being cut - if you're already around $500 I'd consider something like this (you can take or leave individual modifications):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $541.91

Motherboard: b450 boards will let you overclock, which can give a pretty decent performance boost with 2nd-gen Ryzens (though you'd need a $20 aftermarket cooler with the non-X 2600). The Pro4 is a solid board that'll easily handle more power-hungry processors or a decent overclock.

Memory: This is the cheapest 3200 2x8 kit and the cheapest 3000 kit would only save you $3. Switching to G.Skill would add $10.

Storage: Just get a 500GB SSD instead of spending $70 on a 500GB HDD and a tiny SSD. The SN500 is NVMe (so faster for large-file operations) - NVMe isn't really essential, but the SATA 500GB SSDs I'd normally recommend are the same price.

Video Card: $20 cheaper than the Powercolor.

Case: $20 more expensive than the Rosewill, but better airflow and should be easier to work with. Still only comes with one fan, but you could add an Arctic F14 PWM as a 140mm intake for $10. The Fractal Design Focus G Mini is a solid alternative - just $5 more and comes with two intake fans, but it's an older design with an acrylic side panel that's easier to scratch.

Power Supply: The Corsair is $5 more, but bronze certified and superior to the Smart.

So I ended up going with this build but got the G.Skill RAM and a different case (which I probably should’ve read the reviews on before hand as it seems to be “cramped”) but I think I have a good starting point. Will update when I get everything set up. Thanks for everything.

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

So I got my case and mobo yesterday and everything else today. My plan is to start my build after work but watching YouTube videos/my motherboard box has me worried about static. I definitely don’t want to brick anything. I planned on building it on my kitchen table (wood table, linoleum floors) and using the motherboard box to keep it off the table. Does that sound okay or are there any steps, besides buying the special straps, that I could take to avoid that?

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

So after a couple hours, I plugged the tower and monitor in and it took me to the boot menu. There was no horrible beep or error message and the fans on the CPU and case are all running. I still can’t seem to shake the feeling I did something wrong or forgot to plug something in. I had to watch about 4 different build videos and consult google a lot so I was honestly shocked when it booted up. Gonna try to install windows/drivers and check how everything is running. Thanks again guys. Glad I decided to build and save some dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

So I didn’t think to check if the MOBO I bought had wireless built in and it does not. It’s in the same room as my router, is there any benefit to getting a wireless card over using a cat6 to plug it in directly, aside from lack of cords or ability to move it to a different room? I wouldn’t think there would be but I’ve been out of the tech game for awhile now and I’m just wanting to make sure.

Also, the boot speed on the M.2 compared to the HDDs I’ve used my whole life is absolutely bonkers. I could not believe how fast windows fired up after a reset.