Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
With the 3xxx series cards coming out, and my old prebuilt PC being over 5 years old and increasingly struggling with modern gaming stuff, I think it's time for an upgrade. And considering how much things seem to have changed over the past few years, I feel like it's a good chance to start from scratch and bring in all the technological advances without having to tie them to this old-rear end CPU and mobo and power supply.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Primarily gaming, including VR, and possibly game streaming with some bells and whistles. I also do some programming, and I wouldn't mind being able to dabble in graphics stuff or machine learning stuff either.
What's your budget? Pretty flexible, but seems like $2k should be more than enough?
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? On the programming side, probably nothing more complex than Unity and Blender.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? My current monitor is 1080p/60Hz, but I'm open to getting a new one? Hell, I might do that anyway since I want to keep the old machine around, since its only real problems are a seriously outdated graphics card and a five-year-old HDD, and an internal layout that's kind of messy to work with since it's a prebuilt.
Random pet peeve: Ideally, I don't want to have to replace the fans exactly 12-14 months after the first time I boot up the machine. It happens every single time and I'm sick of it. If that means using fancier coolers off the bat, then so be it.

Main problem is that "what PC parts are good or not" seems to be a complex mire of a zillion different largely-qualitative measures to the point where it seems like figuring out each part takes days of studying. :ohno: I miss the early 2000s when you could just look at one number for each part and it'd tell you most of what you needed to know. Here's what I have so far:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)

The main question-marks for me are the case, the graphics card, and the power supply. For the graphics card, I feel like a 3080 is what I should aim for, but there's a bunch of different variants from different manufacturers and I'm not sure what to aim for. There's also the question of availability - since they're apparently all sold out already, how the heck do I get one? Will some variants be easier to get than others?

I don't even know how to start picking cases; I don't care so much about having a window or anything like that, but front connectors are nice! As for power supply, afaik that's largely dependent on case and graphics card, plus whatever manufacturer is most reliable, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU