Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cross posted from the VR thread:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hardware question.

I fell completely backwards into a Dell Precision 3630 with an i7-8700K and a Quadro P1000 in it. For VR I currently have a custom built system with a Ryzen 5 2600x and a 1080ti. Knowing that I can move the RAM over and all other stuff, is there any reason I shouldn't find a way to get my 1080ti into that Dell machine? The i7 seems to be a good bit better than the R5 for gaming, and there are a lot of things that get CPU intensive in VR and require good IPC and single-core performance (Looking at you Rec Room and iracing).

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’m putting my PSU from my AMD rig in

It fits!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does 3dmark save your results in the steam cloud save thing? I want to benchmark them against each other but I also screwed up and started swapping parts before I thought to benchmark them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stickman posted:

If you’re willing to post impressions, I’d be curious if you see any performance difference in current titles. Most of VR benchmarks I’ve see indicate that a 2600x should be fine and there’s not much advantage (currently) to more powerful processors. Maybe that’s not true of those specific titles, though?

If you like your current machine, you could sell the 8700k, pick up a 3600, and still have $100 left over!

I managed to find my 3dmark/VRMark login. So I can post the results when I get some more testing done tonight. My Ryzen testing was done with 24GB of RAM and the i7 box has 8 currently, so it’s not really a fair fight.

I’ll move some RAM over from the AMD box, retest tonight and post results.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stickman posted:

If you’re willing to post impressions, I’d be curious if you see any performance difference in current titles. Most of VR benchmarks I’ve see indicate that a 2600x should be fine and there’s not much advantage (currently) to more powerful processors. Maybe that’s not true of those specific titles, though?

If you like your current machine, you could sell the 8700k, pick up a 3600, and still have $100 left over!

Well, unfortunately I won’t be posting the results. The Dell refuses to run my 24GB of ram at anything but the lowest speed and is of course non-adjustable in the bios. The AMD box runs them at 2800, so the fight still isn’t fair. The dell box also sounds like a jet engine under load with a 1080ti in it.

Any increase in CPU seems to be offset by the other two things. I can see why it has a blower quadro p1000 in it.