Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
hey, y'all. Wanna tell you all a cautionary tale that is entirely my fault in this case. Feel like I can remain somewhat anonymous here, so I figured I'd get this off my chest. Without further ado: ✨*~What Happens When You Don't Do Sanity Checks or Listen to The Advice In The Thread Before You Build~*

So I got myself the "SA Penny-Pincher" virgin-box that was recommended in a previous iteration of this thread. Got myself an Inspiron 3847 with an i3 4150 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB HDD. Threw in an aftermarket GTX 750 1GB along with an SSD and called it a day. Back then I didn't care about the high-end of :pcgaming:, and to this day I honestly still don't (poo poo, I'm still running a 1440x900 monitor). Well, that was in 2015. It's 2021 now, and I needed an upgrade considering that I want to play a few of the new games coming out. A friend of mine was really itching to build me a PC, but they were urging me to buy almost strictly used hardware from past generations. I was hesitant at first because I figured it didn't make sense but I felt hella pressured by my friend and others since it "was the opportunity of a lifetime" due to the fact that they would do the assembly themselves without having it cost me anything. It seemed like nobody would shut up if I didn't go for it. I honestly was getting tired of my current Inspiron setup for a hot minute and it seemed like a sweet deal at first so I decided to take my friend up on their offer

So as a result, I now have a "new" PC with a used Ryzen 5 2600, and even though it's an older Ryzen 5 model, at the same time I don't really do anything CPU-intensive whatsoever to justify having a Ryzen 5. Got that along with a GTX 960 since I was aiming for a 1050ti but scalpers. Feels like it's not really a step up from what I have now considering the GTX 750 was released over seven years ago and the 960 six, though my friend stated that the 960 is "comparable to a 1050" but I'm not sure. I guess on the other hand, I realistically wasn't planning to do much with a new setup anyway. I would've been happy playing games made within the last three years at 900p resolution at 40-ish FPS on medium settings. And aside from that, just general dicking around (web-surfing, watching YouTube, Discord) plus playing with emulation from time to time. So maybe a setup like this wouldn't be bad for what I use a computer for? I dunno

tl;dr I spent $700 on a PC using older parts from eBay that I wouldn't have chosen due to pressure from a friend of mine without using this thread as a guide and I'm now kind of regretting it. Means I'm due for an upgrade sooner than most – probably two years if I were to guess – but hey. You learn from your mistakes
:negative:

Hiraeth fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What was your top budget? $700 seems like a lot for those specific used parts.

I’m sorry you have dumb friends.

A 2600 is generally ok for what you want at least. Also I don’t even know if all current games will run all the way down to 900p.

The fact that I didn't admit that I'm in Canada where everything is more 'spenzive is my bad. Didn't feel like the RAM and MOBO (both also purchased used), PSU, and case was significant enough to have a first-world-problemsey fit about. Not including taxes/shipping in this $700 budget, either. And yeah, maybe I won't be able to run unoptimized stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, but stuff like that I wasn't even really considering to begin with

Hiraeth fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 14, 2021

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Wait, are you saying you spend $700 (even in funny money) on a 2600 and a 960?

n'aw, that was just an example of an idiot misspeaking. Just meant that I never mentioned the rest of the components that weren't the GPU and CPU in my original post to begin with since I felt more confident with those purchases – even though bringing that up in the first place seemed pretty arbitrary now that I look at it