Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Changed my mind about updating the video card and am going to add a 1660 Super. Any brands to avoid? Any brands preferred? Or just buy whatever is on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stickman posted:

You can't really go wrong per se, but I'd probably avoid Zotac since their support has a terrible reputation and single-fan cards since they'll be hotter and louder. The MSi Ventus doesn't have a zero-rpm mode to stop the fans at idle, if you care about that feature. The EVGA SC Ultra has a weird giant stack of thermal transfer pads on the vram (but it still seems to perform okay) and the Gigabyte has plastic backplate (but it's thermals are still fine). The MSi Gaming X and the triple-fan Gigabyte are good, but pricier.

Thanks, I went with the MSI 1660 Super Gaming X. Most others were out of stock and jumped $20 between afternoon to evening. Seems like a good choice though, reviews say it is quieter than other 1660 supers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My 1660 super came and there is a screw in the box. No screws missing that I can see without taking it apart. Going to try it and hope for the best.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kalman posted:

Is it the right size for fastening the card to the case once you remove the metal masking the slot?

Too small.

Edit, also smaller than the heat sink screws, but they are all there.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I saw a bunch of 1060 6gb on eBay for around $70, probably miner cards, wonder how dogged they are.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I just looked again, and they are new, so no doubt fake. It was late when I was looking last night.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hmmm, getting no cpu detected or fail LED on my build. R5 2600, MSI B550 Edge, I can't link to pcpartpicker from mobile. I went through the troubleshooting steps on Tom's Hardware (reseat everything, try 1 ram stick, etc.) and no post. Unless it's a bios issue but it shouldn't be with a 550 board right? Do I just RMA the cpu first or is there anything else worth trying.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bofast posted:

B550 doesn't support 2000-series CPUs or 3000-series APUs, as far as I know, so that is not going to work unless there's some future BIOS patch for older CPUs.

Assuming it's the MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (closest match I could find), here's the compatibility list: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-B550-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#support-cpu

I am such a dumbass. I meant to buy an x570 gaming edge wifi and bought the b550 gaming edge wifi by mistake. Okay, thanks. Now let me figure it what to do.
Edit, ordered a 3600 and will return the 2600, glad I bought from Amazon .

Re: why did I buy a 2600? Because the 3600 was out of stock almost everywhere, except for price gougers, the day I ordered. And I'm upgrading from an old i5 2400 system and even the R5 2600 will be a healthy jump.

wormil fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 5, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Might be the wrong thread, not sure, but..

USB hub vs expansion card? Hubs have better reviews and are cheaper, card would be tidy and I believe have better power management but have mixed reviews. Recommendation?