Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Just reading the last few pages as I'm starting to plan an upgrade. Am I right in thinking the 1600AF is a pretty sweet price point for performance? Checking out comparisons on userbenchmark seem to suggest there'd be no reason to not go the 1600AF over say a 2600 or a 3400g, yes? The next big jump performance wise is to the 3600, but the performance increase seems to be vastly outpaced by the price increase. I can buy the 1600AF for almost 50% the price of the 3600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You can't modify the case further? Make some cuts, etc?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I asked this at the end of the previous page so it may have been missed.

1600AF vs Ryzen 5 3600.

The 3600 is double the price of the 1600AF for me, but userbenchmark suggests it's only approximately 20% faster (on paper). For gaming at 1440p 144hz for the AAA upcoming titles over the next year or so, would the 1600AF be sufficient or would I be better off going the 3600?

I've got the graphics card sorted, so it's only the CPU i'm unsure of.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Klyith posted:

Is your GPU fast enough to be limited by the CPU, or are you using a normal video card that won't outpace average CPUs at 1440p?

For most people with midrange systems, single-player AAA games are GPU-limited more than 90% of the time so a 1600AF and a 3600 have identical performance. But it depends on the game and the GPU. Whether that other 10% matters, or whether the big price difference is more important, is a question only you can answer.

Telling you how a CPU is going to perform in unreleased games is kinda impossible.

Yeah I guess I’m not asking anyone to bust out the crystal ball. I’m trying to work out if I should splurge for the 3600 or save some bucks for a future upgrade and go the 1600AF

Graphics card is an RTX 2070.

And I guess you’re saying it doesn’t really matter that much as the games are mainly reliant on the graphics card.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 25, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

dingo with a joint posted:

Hi folks, can I get a sanity check for this box I'm trying to put together?

What country are you in? New Zealand
What are you using the system for? Gaming, coding, media.
What's your budget? $2000 NZ for the box itself. If I can get Windows within that too, grand. (I'm presuming I can't transfer the Windows license from my current computer.) I haven't worked out my monitor or keyboard yet, so anything left over from the $2000 is going towards them.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Software automation. Mostly front-end, webdriver-driven stuff with custom logic. The tools differ from job to job.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I have yet to pick a monitor; I'm letting the box-choice drive the monitor-choice. Graphics-wise I'm hoping for mid-end; I've found actually pinning down a graphics card choice to be the most difficult part of this whole process. Refresh rate is more important to me than resolution, within reason. Examples of games I'd hope to play straight away and have look good and move well: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Overwatch.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($328.99 @ PB Technologies)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($257.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($184.94 @ PB Technologies)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.50 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE Video Card ($539.35 @ PB Technologies)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($187.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($218.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Total: $1853.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-29 19:54 NZST+1200

Some of my component choices are driven by what is and isn't available in New Zealand (at least as far as PCPartPicker can tell). For example, the Ryzen 5 1600 Refresh version is seemingly not available in Australasia, so I've just kinda accepted that I'll be going with a 3600 off the bat.

The 1600AF is available in some stores in Melbourne - no idea what shipping is like to NZ though.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I have a question about RAM speeds, specifically about these two motherboards as I'm trying to decide between them.

ASRock B450M Pro 4F

ASRock B450M Steel Legend

The quoted speeds for memory both confused me. Pinnacle Ridge this, and Raven ridge that. Anyway.

If the Pro4 F says it can do 3200+(OC) does that mean I need to mess around trying to get my 3200 sticks to run at that 3200? Or should it do that out of the box?

Will either of those boards work fine with a 1600AF?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Klyith posted:

The two boards are identical in all important respects, the Steel Legend just has more bling bits stuck on. Both will work great with a 1600AF.

All memory above 2666 is technically OCing, because the spec for DDR4 only goes up to 2666. All motherboards require you to flip the XMP switch in the bios to make the memory run at 3200 or whatever your fast ram is. It's very easy, but strictly speaking it doesn't run that speed right out of the box.

On asrock boards, you go into the BIOS, 1 tab over to "OC Tweaker", and then go down to "Load XMP Setting" and pick that.

Okay awesome, thank you. Yeah I'm comfortable doing that. I used to overclock long long long ago (celeron 300a anyone?), but really can't be bothered messing with timings on ram or whatever anymore. I'll go the cheaper board too, I don't need the bling.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

okay so i bought the 1440p freesync monitor i wanted and i'm pretty impressed.

what's a decent graphics card for it? would a 5600 cut it?

i don't care about ray tracing because that seems like a money sink this early on.

i'm running a ryzen 3600 with 16gb ram and currently an rx 570 8gb.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’m holding back on a full upgrade to see what Zen 3 brings, but there’s some good pricing on RAM and Motherboards at the moment.

There’s no risk in picking up a 550 or x570 and some ram, and then deciding on a Zen 3 or (hopefully cheaper) 3700x, yeah?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MikeC posted:

If you buy a mobo now for Zen 3, you better drat well make sure you buy a model that has USB BIOS flash capabilities. Otherwise, you could be looking at a significant hassle locating a supported CPU to flash the board to be Zen 3 compatible and maybe even have to fork over money to a store to have them do it for you.

Yeah the mobos I’m looking at all have USB and the flash bios button.

So I take it that yes, what I’m planning is fine.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I saw a few people here getting after market coolers for the 3700x. Should I too? Is the Wraith Prism not that good?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Okay thanks all. So what's a good cooler for the 3700x? My case probably has no more than 160mm clearance above the CPU. I was looking at an AIO mainly for the RGB factor to annoy my beloved wife, but I don't know if they're good or not.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Klyith posted:

The 970 evo is wasted money versus a WD SN750, HP Ex950, or adata SX8200 pro. A sabrent rocket at least gets you something extra from PCIe 4 bandwidth, but IMO spending big bucks on a PCIe 4 drive right now isn't the best. They still have a big premium because only a few models are on the market, more PCIe 4 drives will be out soon which should reduce the price a lot.

Diminishing returns in ryzen ram performance improvement start at 3200, but 3600 CAS 18 is basically the same price as 3200 CAS 16 so you might as well get 3600.

Ryzen 3000s are less picky about ram than previous ones but you should look at your mobo QVL for which ram to get.

On Ram, is there a benefit in me stretching the extra $10 or $20 for 3600 cl16 over say 3600 cl18 for Ryzen?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ughhhh posted:

Does anyone have experience moving the innards of a Dell Optiplex into a new case? I have a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7010 sff unit that i have been using as a Plex server/office pc. I know that Dell tends to use proprietary parts which wouldnt really be compatible with off the shelf pc parts. Wanted to expand its storage and also get it to be quieter since it resides in the office/guest room.

I've done this with an Optiplex 790 to use as a media server and it worked fine. The screw holes on that diagram Kylith posted match the ones in the 790 manual and the photo of my 790 board in an ATX case (below). A standard ATX power supply just plugged straight in.

Two things to be aware of:

The front header pinouts on Dell boards aren't labeled, so you need to look for the specific one for your motherboard like the last post on this page.

The Dell fan headers and case fans can use different wiring than ordinary case fans. So if you're mixing or matching you might want to look at a wiring diagram like this one to work out what you have before you fry a fan. I can't remember if this was an issue or not for the CPU fan (which was a cheapy coolermaster), but it definitely mattered for the stock 120mm case fans I used. I had to rewire them to the 5 pin header I cut off the Dell case fans.

All in all it was fairly easy. No drilling required.

edit: actually there was something about the power button that I can't remember, but I ended up just removing the one from the SFF case and running it through to the back of my ATX case (that black cable that goes above the CPU to the back). that worked for me because I have the server facing backwards so it's easier for me to turn it off / on from there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hambeet fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 26, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Klyith posted:

For performance: not really. Maybe some games will have a statistically better 1% low frame time, but it's unlikely to be noticeable.

For compatibility: If you're buying 16gb now and think you might buy another 16 later, I often recommend Crucial Ballistix ram. Ryzen likes it a lot, which may help it run at full speed with 4 sticks (4 sticks are harder for the memory controller than 2). But if you're getting 32gb now because ram is cheap cheap cheap, you probably won't need more for the life of the PC.

They did, but like 15-20 years ago.

So would I be better not worrying about the timings so much as the speed and the size? I'm happy to put that extra to get 2x16gb 3600 cl18 instead of 2x8gb 3600 cl16 if the timings don't really matter. That way I don't have to worry about it until my next major upgrade.

It's 50/50 gaming/work use. It's not a heavy workstation load (no rendering or whatever), but I can have a lot of things open at the same time while I'm working so I'd be happy to spend a little extra to not have to worry about that pause every now and then when I'm switching between tasks.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Alokgen posted:

Follow up to my first build troubles from a few pages ago.

I bought a fan hub and that fixed my problem. All fans are now spinning correctly.

I disassembled everything and put everything back together. I booted without installing the GPU to see if I could get anything from just hdmi'ing into the mobo. I didn't get anything on the monitor. So I reseated the video card and tried all display ports and hdmi and didn't get anything from the monitor. So I looked in the video card manual and noticed this diagram:

And the PCI connectors that are supplied with my PSU look like this:

Could that be an issue? I don't understand the significance of whether the plugs are squares or weird not squares. I've tried powering with all 3 as well.

I think having a third hand would be very convenient.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

On the other hand, buying something new off the shelf with warranty and tech support is probably preferred as opposed to family tech support of a bespoke system that only you can support.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

maybe a dumb question.. how cheap can i go on a motherboard to pair with a 3700x and an eventual 3080?

would anything lower than a b450 be dumb?

i'm not worried about upgrade paths. and my feature set requirements are really, really low.

i'm just curious because i can easily blow $200+ (AUD) on a board with a stack of features i'll never use, or pickup a basic b450 for $90 (like the ASUS Prime B450M-K), so I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything obvious.

edit: hmm i just realised it could depend a lot on the ram i'll use.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 11, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

If that's the MSI B550M pro vdh that's $190 moon dollars in Australia. Which to be honest, I'm not opposed to spending that much if I need to. I just thought if I didn't really have to spend too much... how low could I go....

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

At 1440p you're relying almost entirely on the graphics card so I would think that the 3600 would be fine.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So I just put together a new system, bringing over my old graphics card and PSU and I'm having some intermittent crashing.

I first noticed when trying out 3dmark when it hit the CPU test. It ran the first three GPU tests fine, but crashed on the CPU test twice now. It even crashed when it loaded Windows after one of the crash reboots.

Ryzen 3700x
16gb 3600 CL16 Crucial Ballistix and I've loaded the XMP so it's running at that.
RX 570 8gb

It's a brand new win 10 install on a new m.2. I didn't notice any crashing or odd behaviour while installing and setting up, only when I started to put the system under some load in 3dMark.

My gut is that it's either RAM or CPU.

So now I want to stress test the RAM and the CPU more to see what's going on, but before I do further troubleshooting, what's a good logging tool that logs to file so I can go back and look at it after a crash?

I'm wanting to capture the temps of different components (CPU, Mobo, GPU, etc) fan speeds, power draw, etc

hambeet fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 20, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Actually, maybe it could be the PSU? The PSU isn't too old (4-5 years) and it's 750w, but I'm wondering if it's struggling to keep up with the 3700x when it flexes. The PSU was fine with my previous build (i5-6600) but I think the 3700x draws a lot more power than that ever could.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah I jumped the gun it seems.

It’s looking like it’s the ram on its default XMP profile of 3600 CL16 as it crashed memtest three times around the same test.

I’ve just turned xmp off and it’s back at 2666, and the system seems stable. 3Dmark worked fine. Memtest I’ve just gotten past the part it crashed at, but I’ll leave it go for a while I think.

How do I go about working out the best settings for my ram? Is there a tool or calculator?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lol, thanks. I guess I should have at least googled that. In my defence I was mid memtest when I wondered if there was such a tool.

Edit: were my expectations unrealistic in thinking I could just plug and play the ram kit I bought? The ram was on the mobo qvl.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 20, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Some Goon posted:

Yes. In theory they could try and say your CPU has a bad memory controller or something but I don't see that happening. They're selling what's on the box, trying to weasel out of it would be bad PR. Excepting things like Zen1 that just had a lackluster memory controller architecturally.

It's amazon and they're pretty good with returns in my experience. I had someone suggest to bump the voltage on the sticks slightly and see how that performs so i'll have a play with the Ryzen DRAM calculator today and the voltage and see how that pans out. If it's not playing ball I'll just order new sticks and return these when they arrive.

I've decided I'll buy a new PSU too, looking into it yesterday I realised it's over 5 years old and I think out of warranty.

Then I'll join the queue of people waiting for 3080's :negative:

Thanks all.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kingnothing posted:

Just put your email in for notifications on EVGA and save yourself some sanity.

Yeah I'm not going to play the f5 game. I'm going to look at it again early next year I think. The RX 570 is running noticeably better, so my old CPU was clearly bottlenecking it. So I'm happy to wait for now.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

okay so I did a dumb. the memory I thought was on the QVL wasn't. I read the wrong number somehow. It's fine at 3200, but when playing with the Ryzen RAM calc I can't get it to run stable at 3600 safe unless I start winding back the timings and my first attempt at that prevented it from POST. Should I just return it and buy another kit off the QVL or do you think it's worth persevering with this set?

edit: I'm not wedded to this set, and I'm also just thinking of not bothering with 3600 because I only spent $10 more than a 3200 kit because I got it on sale....

hambeet fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 21, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Whats the benefit of an m2 beyond the form factor?

i noticed a massive difference from spindle drive to ssd.

i think i notice a difference between ssd to m.2 but it could also a be placebo.

i should start youtube channel. give me money.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

works fine for me. must be your aim bot triggering it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'm excited for big navi, bring it on now!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hey, don't forget to plug in the sata power cable.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

FreeKillB posted:

Thread's moving fairly fast, just wanted to add in a note that unless I'm mistaken the Pro4 is in a tier where ASRock motherboards do not have any kind of debug LED. Looking at manuals for budget B550s, the only thing I can say definitively is that it looks like debug LEDs are present on MSI's boards (I checked it for the Pro-VDH max at least). It's not a dealbreaker (my most recent build used a comparable ASRock mobo) as long as you don't have any trouble hooking things up but I wanted to highlight that as a potential feature that could save you a significant headache if you have issues getting things to post.

I've just recently acquired the ASRock B550 Pro4 and it definitely has the LED's on the board that tell you if it's your CPU, RAM or video card that are playing up on boot.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey what's a great air cooler that's under 155mm? I checked the case specs and it says that is the max cooler height.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

NR200? Fuma 2 seems to be what people are squeezing in. You can get more height by not using the fan mount. Even more if you use shorter standoffs moving the mother board (although it doesn't seem necessary for the Fuma 2). The Mugen looks to be an easier fit.

Thanks I'll have a look at these. I do have shorter standoffs already. Where do they measure from when they say 155mm, top of the cpu or mobo where the cooler would be fixing to? I ask because I swear there's at least 160mm clearance when I've tried measuring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

acksplode posted:

Hello PC building megathread, I have a PC building megaproblem and I need PC building megahelp. tl;dr: I recently assembled a new 3700x/3080 gaming PC that I'm quite happy with, except that certain games seem to be causing it to hard reboot. I suddenly see a black screen, then Windows booting up like normal. Event viewer shows no errors prior to the reboot in the Windows system log. And it's only specific games where I'm seeing this: I can play some newer and demanding games for hours with no issue, then switch to a game that was released a few years ago and I'll see a reboot in under an hour, sometimes as quickly as a couple minutes. My first thought was this looks like a hardware problem with my GPU or power supply, but I've been unable to isolate such a problem. I'm at my wits end, desperately updating drivers in hopes of a fix, so I'd appreciate any suggestions for further troubleshooting steps. Below I have more details on the build, which games are causing reboots, and the troubleshooting I've done so far.

First, here's my build:

These are games that I've played for hours at a time without a problem:

Metro Exodus
Death Stranding
Hades
Crusader Kings 3

And these are games that reliably cause reboots within an hour, sometimes as quickly as a couple minutes:

MGSV
Alien Isolation
Sekiro

This is my troubleshooting so far:

After a reboot I'll check the Windows system log in the Event Viewer, and each time it's silent for minutes before the reboot, only showing errors after the reboot that complain about the unexpected shutdown. Sounds like a power supply issue, right? So I plugged my PC into a 1000 watt UPS that displays wattage output. I can watch my PC draw ~470 watts for hours as I play Metro with vsync off and FPS uncapped, then I can load up Sekiro, which never crosses 400 watts, and I get reboots. Maybe temperature is getting too high? But I used the MSI Afterburner overlay to keep an eye on temps while playing, and the highest I ever see are 55C for the CPU and 65C for the GPU. Maybe it's bad memory? I ran memtest86 for several hours, long enough for about two and a half passes, with no errors. I've made sure that every last driver I can think of is up to date, from GPU to chipset to bluetooth, to no effect. My last guess at this point is that I have a faulty 3080 and need to RMA it, but after the pain I went through to get the thing, I'm reluctant to lose it for a couple weeks on a guess. Anyone have any ideas? :ohdear:

Recently I was having a very similar issue and it was the RAM. I misread the QVL list and bought the wrong RAM for my motherboard, so when I ran it at it's XMP timings and put it through something intensive (eg 3d Mark or some games) it would hard reboot exactly as you described. I could only get stability by manually setting timings (I'm at 3200 CL16 instead of the sticks rated 3600 CL16).

So one thing you could try is turning off XMP and see if that stops the crashing / passes a memtest and then go from there? If not, well, at least you've possibly eliminated RAM.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 11, 2020