Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbog
Oct 26, 2002

Honey...who are the goblins?
What country are you in? Canada.
What are you using the system for? Gaming plus general use.
What's your budget? Would like to keep around $1500 CAD as a max.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Currently have a 22" monitor 60hz. Going to stick with that for now, but would look at a higher refresh monitor in the future. I like the graphics to be good, but don't need to have ultra crazy settings. I enjoy open world games like Witcher, and looking forward to Cyberpunk.

Current rig is from 2014; finding it is not great or unable to run new games, and also having some crashing issues (likely video card related.)

Current setup has a 250GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. Looking at porting over the storage drive, but 250GB SSD is probably too small now for the size of games to be my main drive.

Parts: (currently case and extra fan aren't showing as in stock which is why the price is lower. Case plus fan is ~150 on top)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($248.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($106.76 @ Vuugo)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($143.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Video Card: *Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($669.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Pro 52 CFM 120 mm Fan
Total: $1383.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-28 19:20 EDT-0400

Thoughts or suggestions? Does the MB I picked out require the bios update; how can I tell if it is already ok? Also got a warning about the M.2 shares bandwidth with a SATA port, but with only the one here plus the SATA HDD from my old computer, I think it is fine?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbog
Oct 26, 2002

Klyith posted:

otherwise a hyper212 is currently the cheapest in canada-land.)

Thanks! I had heard that the wraith cooler on the Ryzen is pretty good. Is the cooler necessary for stock (i.e. not overclocking?) or maybe just helps with the fan noise?

Nilbog
Oct 26, 2002

In the market for a RTX 2070 Super as part of my build. Found a sale on a Zoltac "mini" version (link: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=151114)

What is the drawback of a mini card vs regular? Are they poorer in cooling and/or louder fans to achieve cooling?

Nilbog
Oct 26, 2002

Stickman posted:

It’s also Zotac, who have a relatively bad reputation for support. If it’s not significantly cheaper than an EVGA black edition I’d choose the EVGA instead - it has a better cooler and EVGA has top-notch support.

E: Ah, link is working for me now - $70 is a tougher call. It comes down to how much you’re willing to deal with the potential draw-backs.

Thanks - the difference in price makes it a tougher choice. If it was $20 or something, for sure I'd go with the more solid one....