Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Dumb/Repeat question: Can I move my existing Windows 10 install, games, etc to a new motherboard without needing to format the drive and reinstall everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

denereal visease posted:

Dumb/Repeat question: Can I move my existing Windows 10 install, games, etc to a new motherboard without needing to format the drive and reinstall everything?

Klyith posted:

Yes, that generally works these days as long as you aren't doing anything unusual with the storage system (raided drives etc).

You will need to re-activate windows, either by punching in the key again or by tying the license to a MS account.

The only fucky part is that I'd be moving from an ASRock X470 board to an Asus X570 board. Not sure if that will create issues with driver conflicts.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

RE: Ryzen RAM Chat, I recently upgraded my 3200mhz kit to a 3800mhz kit and the numbers speak for themselves...
  • Cinebench R20: 4,280 (3200mhz) → 4,830 (3800mhz) 0.02% increase
  • Timepsy 1.2: 9,954 (3200mhz) → 10,064 (3800mhz) 0.01% increase
The 3200mhz kit was running the Fast preset from the Ryzen DRAM Calc utility. I actually saw a performance regression on the 3800mhz kit tweaking it using the same tool and ended up rolling back to the factory DOCP profile. The 3800mhz kit could benefit from some tuning but I have a lot to learn about RAM overclocking.

denereal visease posted:

Klyith posted:

Yes, that generally works these days as long as you aren't doing anything unusual with the storage system (raided drives etc).

You will need to re-activate windows, either by punching in the key again or by tying the license to a MS account.

denereal visease posted:

The only fucky part is that I'd be moving from an ASRock X470 board to an Asus X570 board. Not sure if that will create issues with driver conflicts.

Subjunctive posted:

I went from an ASRock x570 to Aorus X570 without issue, fwiw. You could uninstall the chipset drivers first if you wanted.

Klyith posted:

Nah that'll be fine. These days Win10 can move from intel to AMD and generally handle it if both systems are vaguely modern.
Just wanted to follow up on this to thank Klyith and Subjunctive since I'm still pretty new to this hobby.

I was able to move my "system" from a X470/2600X platform to a X570/3700X with only two tiny snags...
  • Setting BIOS to ignore the CPU Fan speed (was getting 'CPU FAN ERROR' on boot)
  • Installing chipset drivers from USB to get the new board to acknowledge it had WiFi
Really easy fixes in the end.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 1, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

phosdex posted:

I have Meshify-C case, Ryzen 3700x, and a 3080FE. Right now I have the stock fans and an extra 120mm that I had laying around in it.

Would a Noctua NF-A12 120mm for rear, 2x NF-A14 140mm front, and an Arctic Liquid Freezer II make sense?
hell yeah it would

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

is it possible to just take my boot drive and stick it in a new PC and have everything work?

I moved an existing Windows install to a new motherboard and CPU earlier this year without any trouble: just had to re-enter the windows key one time, no ms account or other fuckry

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You'll probably be ok but ymmv

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Consensus is that a good 600W PSU will be sufficient for a 3700X and 3070, correct?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Thanks DrDork, sean10mm, and CaptainPsyko; just wanted to cross check.

Really stoked to see Noctua finally release so many chromax coolers. Copped a U9S chromax for my partner to go with an SF600 for the aforementioned 3700X/3070 build.

Khizan posted:

1) What would a good CPU cooler be for a 3600 in the Fractal Design Nano-S? I'm not intending on overclocking, so the Wraith Stealth it ships with would probably be fine, but I'd prefer something a bit quieter. Fractal Design website says maximum height of 162mm.
The Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black would be your best bet if it's not outside of your price range. I believe the Scythe Fuma 2 is very popular as well, not 100% sure if it would fit.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

gently caress Man posted:

I think the use of multithreading in Power BI, at least, is minimal.

I saw a huge reduction in compute time switching from a 4c/8t to 6c/12t machine using PowerBI.

Trying to process, relate, and compile 17 datasets of ~250,000 records each was not happening on a human timescale using the 4c/8t "workstation" laptop w/32GB of DDR4-2666. The machine would peg the CPU and RAM to 100% then churn for hours; I eventually gave up. Running the same task on a 2600X with 16GB of DDR4-3200 took <10 minutes.

Not sure if cores, frequency, or RAM speed was the bottleneck. YMMV, just sharing my experience using PBI to crunch substantial datasets on two different setups.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

spunkshui posted:

Why not go for the big D15?

sean10mm posted:

Gamers Nexus did a test a while back where basically for the 105W TDP Zen 2s the U14S and D15 performed within like 1 degree or something. The D15 really only pulls away unless you have fuckloads more heat to dissipate.
Having put a 2600X and a 3700X under my NH-D15S, I can tell you from experience that it is wild overkill for those CPUs/TDP range: never needed to spin the fans faster than 20%.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Man, the Meshify 2 looks good but it's 60 loving Liters lmao

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

bus hustler posted:

I have an Accelero IV to put on my blower 2080ti sitting right next to me. It's loving hideous though & makes it like a 4 slot card.
Return it, get a Morpheus II Core Edition and have an understated 4 slot monster.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

Quick fingers resulted in a nab of the 5800x on amazon. Id probably prefer the 5600x but wondering if I should just get the 10700k/10600k and enjoy it now vs waiting till January when it ships.

sean10mm posted:

Wait a day or two and see if the ship date changes. I had an Amazon order for a 5800X that originally showed January that changed to early December a day later.
Definitely think on it for a couple days; I had a January 1st - 4th, 2021 delivery estimate for the 5800X that is currently sitting on my desk :)

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Chaitai posted:

Since this is my first AMD build, what do I need to change in the BIOS or anywhere else to get the most out of this chip?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Turn on XMP for your RAM should be the only essential change unless you want to OC.
And making sure that FCLK is set to half of the RAM's frequency.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Trying to find some controller options for my partner who doesn't prefer kb+m play, is the Xbox Wireless Controller + Wireless Adapter "the best" mainstream wireless controller experience on PC? They're not a super hardcore gamer and the more expensive options transcend overkill.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Thanks for all the help with the build goons, the new computer has been great so far, with one observance: after some time in-game, some fan/s start short bursty revs (sounds like an engine being revved aggressively by vin diesel)

this so far has only happened (and easily reproed by me) when running a particular game (outer wilds) - is there any recommended software (free or cheapish) that plots time series for fan speed / other metrics for a lookback window?
You can use HWInfo64 to monitor and log sensor data like that.

It sounds like you're exceeding some temperature threshold, so the fans speed up to drive temps down. My mobo will spin all fans at 100% if the cpu exceeds 86.1°C regardless of whatever fan curve is set in BIOS.

Have you mucked about with fan curves in BIOS?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Very happy with my Asus Strix X570-I, thankful for the IO when I need to connect 5 devices to my machine in addition to the KB+M, headset, webcam, etc.

Was able to grab a second one for my partner last week that had a "AMD RYZEN 5000X DESKTOP READY" sticker on it.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

ShowTime posted:

Has anyone actually used a 5800x?
Yeah, there are a handful (or two) of other folks running a 5800X. In my aircooled NCase M1, it sits around 77-78F in Cyberpunk 2077 with a mildly reduced PPT (130W) so it's fairly warm but nothing insane.

I imagine temps will improve when I have a deshroud+exhaust configuration on the GPU.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 14, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Samadhi posted:

Update on the 5800X temperature issue:

I got my new MSI Unify motherboard (to fix an issue with the rear audio ports not working, which still isn't 100% working, loving Realtek) and installed that this weekend. I also installed 3 new Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm fans, two in the front top slots and one in the rear behind the Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler. I left one of the Phantek 140mm fans in the front for intake, and one I moved to the top of the case for additional exhaust.

After installing everything and running Folding@Home, it seems to max at around 86° C, which is a little less than 7° C less than i was seeing before, and an average of 85.5° C. The cooling is working better, but I am pretty sure this 5800X just runs hot at max load.
How slow are all those fans spinning at 85.5° C?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

denereal visease posted:

How slow are all those fans spinning at 85.5° C?

Samadhi posted:

The fan curve has them at 100% over 75º C, which on the Noctua fans is 1500RPM.
Are they all actually spinning at 100%? Have/can you check using HWInfo64?

I had a board that actually just didn't use the CPU temp to adjust fan speed. I could set whatever curve I wanted, but it only ran the fans at the lowest speed I set. Your 5800X is running hotter than mine in an air-cooled SFF build (w/PPT capped @ 130W), so something seems off.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Samadhi posted:

I just checked, all the fans are running at 100% when they should, so the fans are operating properly. I did another stress test and it was only hitting 83° as a max, so it is a lot better then it was before the Noctua fans. That said, it is odd, but that seems within parameters, and I'm wondering if I just got a hot chip. I am hoping to get a 5900X sometime in the next month, as I have someone who wants my 5800X for their eventual build.
I guess at this point you can try repasting or capping PPT if the temps bother you. The temps don't seem crazy to me, but they are on the higher side for the 5800Xs that get posted about here.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m trying to imagine how fast a PCIe 4 would be for games because as it is, on the M2 drive I have it takes like 4 seconds from the title screen to load CP2077.
NVMe drive; M.2 is a form factor and can use SATA or NVMe protocol :)

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

KinkyJohn posted:

Is it a bad idea to get wasted before I put together my new system?
Gotta drink a ritual beer while you build to honor the machine's spirit

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Hesh Ballantine posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($189.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($96.25 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1270.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-05 02:38 EST-0500
Is there a reason why you're doing the F12s instead of A12s?

The F-12 is a static-pressure optimized fan normally used for radiators. I have one in my NCase M1 on the back of my NH-C14S exhausting air out of the case through the heatsink.

e: the A12's are going for $45ea right now, aren't they?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

At the same time, the 5600X is a straight up performance winner in gaming, versus the 5800X and 5900X.

MaxxBot posted:

Where are you seeing the 5600X beat the 5800X and 5900X in gaming?

HalloKitty posted:

However, a 5800X being slower than 5600X? I don't really buy it, it's just one fully enabled 8-core ccx.
I think the OP may have confused several different pieces of information...
  • Most people recommend 6/12 CPUs for gaming (ie, 5600X) for cost efficiency
  • Most people recommend 'adequate' cooling for that 6/12 CPU (Scythe Mugen 5 or NH-U12S at best) again for cost efficieny
  • Someone benchmarked a 5600X vs a 5800X using their cost efficient 'adequate' cpu cooler (ie, their reused Hyper 212)
  • The higher TDP part didn't benchmark as well as the lower TDP part using a cost-efficient cooling solution intended for the lower TDP part
Pretty sure I remember some content creator generating something demonstrating my last two points, can't recall which one though.

Both chips are great for gaming if you can get them. The premium for 2 extra cores and slightly higher clocks with the 5800X vs the 5600X is not needed for most people in this forum doing builds, but lots of posters are buying the 5900X 12 core parts for their gaming rigs for some reason :confused:

e: someone who is more awake then I am can riff on thermal density and the CPUs ability to transfer that heat into the cooling solution, why the 5800X is thermally denser that the 5600X but lower thermal density than the 5900X, etc.

e2: actually OP come back and cite your sources lmbo

spunkshui posted:

There should be a setting called "fan delay" or something similar that will make the case fans wait for a prolonged heat.
This is called "hysteresis" or "Step Up"/"Step Down" on some boards. I think the way it works is that you set some time interval (ie, 5 seconds) and whenever the PWM controller tells the fan to speed or slow down, it makes that change over the time period. This lets you down neat stuff like have your fans keep spinning after the CPU load is removed to keep driving temperatures down; very useful for SFF builds.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 11, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Edit: ^^^
Yeah, that’s basically my point: 5600X + 3080 > 5800X + 3070.
Counterpoint: 5600X + 3080 < 5800X + 3080

You're not comparing apples to apples mate.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

At 1080p sure.

At higher res a 5600x vs 5800x with a 3080 is likely to be similar, outside of niche games that require tons of CPU horsepower or non gaming applications.

At 1440p+ it’s almost certainly not worth the extra $150, and if you’re playing at 1080p what the hell are you doing buying such an expensive CPU.
So you're saying that the 5600X is a better 4K gaming CPU than the 5800X, with rough parity at 1440p, and that the 5800X is advantaged at 1080p, correct? Just making sure I understand what you're trying to communicate.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Right, I think we'd all allocate the budget to the GPU first. I don't think anyone is recommending people prioritize a 5800X over a 5600X when the budget is constrained.

But people upthread seemed to be arguing that the 5600X is a better gaming GPU based on a dataset comparing 5600X+3080 vs 5800X+3070 and one cannot draw valid conclusions from an asymmetrical comparison like that.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Ok, thank you for clarifying; the choice to use "1080p", "higher resolution", and "1440p+" obscured the intended meaning.

I’m saying the 5600x and 5800x perform basically equal at 1440p and above, so there’s no reason to spend an additional $150 for sub 5% gains.

Similarly, while the gains will likely be better than 5% at 1080p, buying a $450 MSRP CPU should not be part of your build outside of ultra competitive 1080p high refresh rates like 240hz+.
I would agree with these purchasing recommendations, for sure.

I would not agree with the statement that the 5600X is the objectively better gaming CPU in all circumstances. I do not think that you are making this argument.

Is the 5600X best gaming CPU for most people in this thread? Absolutely, but that includes some qualifiers like you mentioned.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

If you want to argue take it to the AMD cpu thread, we don't want to put off the hardware non-enthusiasts that come to this thread.
I don't think there's an argument going on: someone made an inaccurate claim and there's been some discussion on why that claim is inaccurate.

That kind of information is probably very helpful for people who only look itt once every 5 years and don't think about hardware outside of their build/upgrade cycle. IMO someone making an objectively false statement and it going unchallenged is not helpful to new or returning builders coming to this thread for advice.

No one is contesting the value argument for the 5600X vs 5800X.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

The arctic p12 description talks about how it's designed especially for static pressure. Is it still a good idea to use it for exhaust? I know Noctua has fans specifically for circulation or static.
If you really want to overthink it, see if Artic has a page like Noctua's NF-A12x25: Performance comparison to NF-F12 and NF-S12A and think about what PWM range you want your fans to be in most of the time versus performance implications.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

zeldadude posted:

What are everyone's favorite case fans? I'd prefer RGB (this is my first build in like 7 years so I have no choice, I *have* to add RGB!) but I guess if there's some that are better that aren't RGB that's fine too.
Noctua or their chromax variants.

The original Noctua color scheme is gross (imo, some people love it), but apparently you get a y-splitter and a 'low-noise adapter' in every box. They may come with some other stuff, but I've only every gotten their chromax parts and been very pleased with them.

The chromax line does't include the splitter and the fans only have like a 5cm lead on the PWM header, but they all come with 20cm extensions and 'low-noise adapter'. They aren't an affront to aesthetic sensibilities.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 15, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Yo the Corsair A500 is not at all in the same class as the NH-D15S.

It can achieve similar performance to an NH-D15S by spinning it's tinier, louder fans at 2300+ RPM versus 1500 RPM for the NH-D15S: link.

I am by no means an expert or whatever the gently caress you want to call it, but there are some legitimately bad recommendations and info getting tossed around itt lately. The A500 is the thing you buy when the shelves are barren.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

spunkshui posted:

:words and specifics:
Firstly, thank you: I appreciate the rebuttal!

My issue is not someone recommending the A500 for a specific user and their use case, it's definitely fine for a 5600X.

But the broad generalization (like the "5600X is the best gaming CPU hands down!" dust-up) that it's comparable to a NH-D15S is not fine.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Adding to the discussion, something a lot of people miss is that their product recommendations are not always 1:1 with their purchasing recommendations.

GN has access to a shitload of hardware and data to know what is objectively best at [whatever metric], but at the end of the day I think 80-90% of their staff has 3-5+ year machines at home.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

The Arctic Liquid Freezer II is pretty well regarded.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

What's the appreciable difference between the bronze and gold ratings for a PSU?

It's an efficiency rating. In turn, low efficiency ratings generally mean lower quality (at least up to gold, beyond gold it rarely matters).

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve never seen anything past gold that wasn’t for a workstation or the most truly more-money-than-sense type enthusiasts.
Platinum rated PSUs are good for Small Form Factor (SFF) builds because you're generally limited on cooling so you want to add as little heat as possible to the case.

Pretty much all SFF components come at a premium, so it's generally not a big ask of SFF builders to pay a little more for a higher efficiency PSU.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

The best SFF cases are really just tiny ventilated boxes

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

I think I may be at the point where I can’t really up the cooling but I’m open to ideas. Or ideas for other things to do to my computer.
dehumanize yourself and face to RAM tuning

Barry Foster posted:

Maybe you can work on noise instead, if you're bored? Try and make the quietest box possible instead of just the coolest
this could be an afternoon too, i'm trying ride the line between high-performance and running my fans at 80% in my SFF build

I’ll probably make a benchmarking/dumb optimizing thread here in the next few days though, I can’t be the only one who thinks this stuff is weirdly fun.
thread could be cool, i had a lot trying to min/max performance once everything was in the case

never "finished" my tune either, want to earmark a long weekend for that sometime soon

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Nah m8, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm told this is the place to start: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#finding-a-baseline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

But an ITX mobo is going to look goofy in the cavernous space if you care about that.

counterpoint

denereal visease posted:

ITX boards in mid/fullsize cases is cool aesthetic, especially when the CPU cooler is almost as large as the motherboard...