Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PittTheElder posted:

Hey all, I'm looking at upgrading my Ship of Theseus PC, with the goal being new case, motherboard, CPU and RAM (the need for more than 8GB is really what's driving this), while retaining my current power supply and GPU. Am just turning to PCPartPicker now, but I'm specifically wondering about cases, and if there's anything in particular I should be looking for? The one thing I know I want is something where I can route the majority of cables behind an internal wall or something so they're out of the way.

If you can grab a Lian Li Lancool II on sale, consider it. No 5 1/4" bays but the cable management's dreamy. Fracal Design's Meshify cases are also easy to work with, if you absolutely need that DVD drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Spacedad posted:

So a youtuber posted a video about their awful experience trying to get a pc build working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVXp_fRGzE

I'm curious what mistakes he made that might have caused a lot of his misery in this that people here might be able to point out. (The 'not knowing about needing to update your bios for the zen 3 cpus' for example.)

For the first board, the "no keyboard" issue could've been caused by any number of weird BIOS-y things. There's a series of arcane rituals, none of which "should" work on any sensible planet, many of which actually work when you do them with that look on your face: new slot, clear cmos, unplug/replug, different keyboard, etc etc. It probably didn't POST the second time because they damaged it while fiddling with it (there's a reason we screw it to a metal case), or because the board was defective and just needed that extra little push to fail properly.

There are boards that will let you flash the BIOS with no CPU installed at all, which is a handy feature where Zen3s are concerned, but you still can't use that feature without a keyboard.

"Lights out, reboot" is almost definitely hardware. Either something's grounding out, or overheating, or otherwise behaving fuckily, and the board is just not having it. That plus "it crashes right after I start trying to run a program" screams RAM or hard drive to me. It's also not wholly impossible that he got two defective boards, but that's getting into zebra territory.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 25, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I threw out my glow-in-the-dark ones about a decade after IDE went obsolete.

Still beats manually unzipping them to braid the bloody things. Never again.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not possible, motherboards aren't intercompatible with different RAM generations. Also they literally don't make DDR4 RAM that slow, the slowest I can find is DDR4-2133

oh hi there

Also people who refer to ram by anything other than the MB/s are being pedantic for the sake of causing confusion. The big number is the one that makes the most sense to the most people

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Put 3600 mhz ram in my x570 tuf board, set it to 3600 and now it won't post, and I can't reach the battery with the video card in the way

Wheeee

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Nope, comes on and stalls with a yellow DRAM lamp.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does your motherboard have JBAT pins? Those are there so you can short them to reset the CMOS battery without having to physically access the battery.

It has one, but it didn't work when I tried it last. Whatever, I'll try again tomorrow

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Good lord

At that point you just declare "gently caress it" and wire the bastard to a new battery holder on the bottom of the case

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:shrug: the clear jumper worked eventually, and manually setting the speed to 3600 instead of relying on the auto detected "3603" got it running

Now comes the fun part: meddling with the asus software

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yeah, even if it were feasibly "coming soon", and you could buy the bloody thing, and you could afford to pay the early adopter tax, nobody can say what sort of problems the new hardware will give you

Like, PCIE4 came out two years ago and they still haven't fixed its USB problems yet

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A gaming pc would lose virtually nothing by choosing a 5600x over its faster, pricier cousins; and whatever modest gains can be had from buying the pricier chip anyway can't justify paying for it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

or plug the old hard drive into the new machine and copy it over at sata speeds

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sadly you're (e: probably) in new PC territory. GN Steve made a video about your card not long ago, and it's just not able to handle gaming in 2021 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhLlHU_z55U

Your ten-year-old chip is cut from that same cloth. Fantastic for its time, but that time has passed. By all means do try a new video card in your existing machine first (with the corresponding power supply upgrade), just don't expect it to solve your problem all the way.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That assumption still holds, I think, with an asterisk for people who could buy a Radeon card, and who also know the reasons not to buy a Radeon card don't apply to them