Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
My current PC is about 5 years old and it's starting to feel like it might be on its way out. The only thing that I replaced and am planning on carrying over is the video card, a Geforce GTX 1660ti that I got last year when the original video card just straight up died on me. I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and such that I like and am in no need of replacing (although I could probably use a new mousing surface, the one I have is legally old enough to vote now). I haven't been paying attention to pc parts recently, all I know is that there are new SSDs and AMD is good again? Ideally I'm looking for advice as to what case, RAM, motherboard, processor and hard drives are the best bet these days. Right now I have it set up with a small ssd for my OS and such, with most games on a fast regular HD and media on a slow big HD. I'm not opposed to a similar setup moving forward, but I am always nervous that one or both of the spinning hard drives will just die on me and I keep hearing that SSDs are more reliable. Oh also, because I keep this thing in my room I would like to avoid all the loving rainbow lights that the kids these days seem to put everywhere. I don't need to try to fall asleep with a rave going on 10 feet away from me. I'm in New York and I'm looking to spend as little as possible, but ideally under $1000. I probably have my old Windows code lying around somewhere but I guess I need a new copy of that too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm most of the way towards configuring a new system - just looking for thoughts on a case. My current PC is in a Fractal Design R4 I think. Absolutely wonderful to work in although a bit heavy. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their newer models and can offer some feedback? The Meshify looks interesting and affordable, how good is the sound insulation? I'm not looking to add any additional cooling and the sound insulation on my current case is top notch, so something as quiet as this would be fantastic.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Before I start ordering, for review:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.89 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: *Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.78 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $949.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-27 18:00 EDT-0400

I'm also migrating over geforce gtx 1660ti. All good?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

The Intel 660p is a QLC drive. QLC is ok for average desktop & gaming use, but get slower as the drive gets full. They're IMO best as a secondary drive for like games-only storage.

By comparison the WD SN550 is the same price and is a TLC drive, though it doesn't have DRAM. And currently the HP EX950 is up for a very good price at newegg, which is both TLC and has DRAM.

The HP one is the one to get then? I haven't done my homework on these drives apparently.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
One last question: is it possible to sort PC Parts Picker by which stores have the product in stock? It's telling me that everything but the case is out of stock at Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Uh, yeah, stuff not being in stock is a thing these days.

AFAIK pcpartpicker just uses scrapers to determine price & stock so it's not great for real-time stock checking. I dunno how often they cycle through products but I've definitely had them say in stock on pcpp but be sold out on amazon or whatever. (Also B&H are scummy, do things like say in stock when the only "stock" they have left is one display model -- so they take your money and put you on the backorder list.)

It's a build and general price comparison engine, it's not built for the pandemic. If you want to build a PC right now you are going to have to split orders over multiple sites or multiple days, sign up for auto-notify, and generally :f5h: for stuff.

That's unfortunate.

I'm finding that the motherboard I was originally going to get is out of stock. Any recommendations as what's good for what I'm building? It was originally a Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard.