Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
We used to have a bunch of computers with Antec Sonata at work. When wearing suitable clothes I could charge myself sitting on my chair, then touch the USB port cover on the Antecs and reliably reboot the computers. I could never figure out how that was possible. The cover was just a chromed plastic part attached to the plastic case front. It had no electrical connection to the USB ports or any other part of the computer.

I'd like someone to test how damaging static can be. For example, zap a RAM stick and test what it takes before it starts producing errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So my question is, how likely am I to run into problems if I go with RAM that is not listed on the compatibility list? Anything in particular I should pay attention to?

You approach this from the other direction. Check which manufacturers are available for you and then go to their website to search for a compatible RAM. Corsair, Crucial, G.Skill, Kingston.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Total Meatlove posted:

Would noctua’s and OS management of the fans deal with most of the noise issues? It’s likely to sit in an unused room for the most part, so noise isn’t too bad.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You could buy a fan controller for like $5 and throw it in the case if the MB doesn’t play nice

Don't rely on this. Those servers monitor the fan health and RPM, and if too many of the fans are non-functional it will shut down. I'm not sure if the BIOS had an option to disable this feature.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Kin posted:

The stick is good, but it definitely feels like a media player is a bit beyond the scope of it's design and instead its core function (which it excels at) is a basic admin/work machine you just plug into a TV.

As such i was wondering if there's an alternative out there that i could build to make a dedicated server/mediabox that would be small and quiet enough to sit innocuously in my living room whilst having enough juice to not hang for a minute or have download speeds plummet while something like plex refreshed or a rar unpacked.

Sounds to me that part of your problem is that you are using the Compute Stick as media and Plex server instead of just media player. Separate those functions and the Stick will probably handle just fine. Install the media drives in your main computer and let it run Plex, or build a separate computer and but it somewhere the noice will not bother you, let that handle Plex and downloads.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I just bought a business laptop used from a recycler and they seem to have installed Win10 on it and activated it. The laptop came with win7 according to Dell service tag. I'd like to swap out to a SSD with a clean install of Win10 so how do I transfer the license? How can I check if the current Win10 license is perhaps in the UEFI?

Since the Win10 is already activated the laptop will have been registered for Microsoft and it should activate automatically when you install the same version of Win10. If it's not running Win 10 Pro you might consider upgrading, Win 7 Pro keys can be found cheaply from SA Mart or eBay.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

redreader posted:

I'm buying a 3600, tomahawk max and 16gb of ram from B&H when their cart re-opens (they observe shabbat). So I assume I can't just try to run my old version of windows can I? I can't do any kind of backup or anything? I'll have to do a fresh install, and maybe even use a different key?

Couple months ago I help someone with their computer. I installed Win10 on my old Intel laptop, then mailed the SSD and they plugged it in their old AMD laptop and Windows worked just fine. Only thing you need is to buy a Win7/8/10 serial key from SA Mart or eBay.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Klyith posted:

WD Red / NAS drives in general are a waste of $ if you're not using then in an actual NAS. They aren't more reliable, they just just have different NAS-optimized firmware. (Primarily, when they encounter an error, they give up much faster than standard drives so that performance isn't affected. Because a NAS drive is assumed to be in a RAID set where the RAID will do error correction.)

Recent findings from the Packrats thread indicate that WD Red drives use SMR technology, which basically makes them useless for NAS and shouldn't really be used for anything.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Agent355 posted:

The MOBO I ordered has 2 nvme slots, I figure if I really need more space after I fill 1tb up I'll just buy a second. I really like the free'd up cable space of not even mounting a sata ssd.

It's a b450 w/ 6 sata slots, but each m2 takes up 2 of them if it's used but even then 2 NVME drives still leaves 2 sata slots and I could go splurge on a 2tb sata SSD or w/e.

My mind is just boggling at these peoples still suggesting a HDD nowadays.

That Crucial P1 you are getting is a QLC drive which is usually considered suboptimal for OS drive. I couldn't find a recent post in the SSD thread listing recommended NVMe drives, but I think Adata SU800 was one of them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Hakarne posted:

Any feedback or changes that keep this around $600 max would be appreciated! I'm a little rusty so I'm hoping I didn't screw anything up too badly...

Get the Windows license from SA Mart or eBay.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

since i got my new PC, there's been little need for me to use my laptop. still, i've had the little trooper around for a long time and there's still both lots of important files i have on it, with also lots of space, so i'd like to keep it around. the problem though, is that it's gotten slow as poo poo. it takes forever to boot to windows and even longer to open up any web browser. it was one of the reasons why i needed a new PC in the first place. but i think this issue could be solved with adding some RAM? my laptop has 4 gigs of DDR3 at 800 mhz, and apparently it uses like 60% just from booting up without launching any programs.

is my diagnosis correct? will a RAM upgrade take care of this problem?

Does your laptop have a SSD, it's the first upgrade that should be done to any computer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

Huh, I wasn't aware that an SSD can be handled like that. I mean I still want to have it be screwed in since it's going to the upper area of my case and I wouldn't trust some tape to hold it up there for the next few years.

I guess I mostly went along with the idea of a dock because I think they are cool and I kinda want one

If the case has 3.5" or 5.25" place at the top you can install the SSD on them using a single screw. They're so light it works just fine.

On Terra Firma posted:

The problem with cases like these is my cat likes to jump up and turn off the power when I'm doing something important.

Disable the power button in Windows power settings, "Choose what the power buttons do".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I hate posting dumbass questions here, but I'm back again with another dumbass question.

I'm moving into a new apartment and the layout has hardwood floor where I would place my computer desk etc. I've used one of those translucent plastic pad before, but I feel as if there's no "cushion" there - causing possible noise problems for the people beneath me. Is there a type of product that I should be looking for to try and kill noise as much as possible when I roll in my seat? Looking for "padded computer mat" seems to give items for standing computer desks, and anything with the word cushion is 100% not what I'm looking for.

Obviously this has very little to nothing to do with computer building, but there's no computer desk accessory thread, and I feel like, if anybody, you guys would know where to point me.

Buy a set of roller blade style wheels for your chair. Mine are practically silent and the chair rolls around real smoothly. If you have more questions the Computer Chair megathread is the place you want.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Vorenus posted:

My GPU died, and having a 7 year old CPU and 250GB SSD it's time to upgrade. I saw the mention of PowerSpec in the OP and I'm within 30 minutes of a MicroCenter.

I'm strongly considering the PowerSpec G507. On sale for $850, it would cost me more to build this piece by piece, and each component is a significant upgrade over what I have now. I spend way too much time gaming, but I'm not trying to play MS FlightSim 2020 on max graphics or anything so I see no reason not to buy this, but I would love to hear what y'all think.

The RAM is slower than anyone in this thread would buy and the PSU is of unknown quality. But another big issue is the warranty, the PowerSpec only has 1 year. From Klyith's list, the GPU has 3 years, the SSD 5 years, and the PSU also 5 years and you can easily find PSUs with 10-12 year warranties.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

sean10mm posted:

:siren: DO NOT BUY THE ASROCK B550 STEEL LEGEND :siren:

The 2nd M.2 slot on those boards is locked to x2 speed instead of the normal x4. This fact is buried in the fine print of the specs, even a lot of normally good review sites missed this.

This is true of a lot of Asrock's B550 stuff IIRC

That's certainly a point against them, but it probably shouldn't be a deciding factor if other specs fit your needs better than alternatives. The speed difference is most likely irrelevant and there may be better uses for those two lanes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Nowher posted:

Australian summer is coming and I'm trying to optimise the cooling in my Meshify C build especially as my GPU is running a bit hot.

- Will moving my AIO from a front intake to a top exhaust improve GPU cooling? My CPU temps are fine and I figure the more cool air the GPU can get the better.

- My case fans curves are set to System temperature, would it help if I tied them to the GPU temperature instead?

- Should I run my AIO pump on a curve or just set it to a 100%? I keep reading conflicting reports about this.

That won't help at all. Every watt of electricity you put in the computer will end up heating you room, no matter what route those electrons take.

If you improve the GPU cooling it will run cooler and this will raise it's boost clocks. Thanks to that your games will run at higher FPS, the GPU does more work and will produce more heat.

If you want to cool your room you need to underclock and undervolt your GPU and CPU, so they do reduce gaming performance and do less work. Or put your computer next to the exhaust air vent or window, so that the hot air from the computer goes straight outside.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

justdan posted:

It just doesn't seem that the shape of the pins fit:

https://imgur.com/a/VNgElVn - added how the connector on my MB looks like.

I'm just deathly afraid of frying my CPU and/or MB

That seems to fit. Notched pegs can go in the square holes and the square pegs match with square holes. And the markings on the cable indicate CPU1.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Asema posted:

She streams at 4k I think, or at least I know she streams from her cintiq which is at 4k and if I know her as well as I think I do, there's no way she's changed OBS settings to put that resolution down. Isn't streaming like heavily CPU ?

I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff for the i9, somethings were out of stock and had to be changed but I just went ahead and did it so I can spend next week building it:

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1918.83

is the final build I guess. Now to wait patiently for the 3000 series to be in stock

That Samsung 860 EVO is overpriced and underperforming, nowadays there are better NVMe options available. I think the A-Data SX8200 is the usual recommendation at that size. You also shouldn't buy full priced Windows license, eBay and SA-Mart have much better deals. And with Windows 10 you probably want Pro for some of the extra features. Even recycled Win 7 Pro licenses are suitable for activation.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Zarin posted:

I've seen people mention standoffs before, but I'm trying to envision what that would look like . . . if all the screws go in correctly, how could it be an alignment issue?

One way is to install standoffs on all the spots in the case, but not check how many screwholes the motherboard actually has.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Neat, got my 2060 today. I was expecting to miss the delivery and have to pick it up tomorrow :) Now to sign up for EVGA's Step Up program...

I need to double check with a buddy IRL to see if he still wants my GTX 970, but if not, does anyone here want it? I'd be happy to get $50 + shipping (USA)

You might want to keep it until the Step Up is complete to have something to game with during the process.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

spunkshui posted:

I know Samsung has put out a statement saying that its totally unnecessary but I’m of the opinion that computer parts will live longer if you let them run cooler.

At $10 for a chunk of aluminum it’s a fun little upgrade.

No one should ever buy that $35 one though.

But I might get it for Christmas since I truly don’t need it but I also have all that empty space above my current M.2 not looking bad rear end.

Also remember that while the NVMe processor may benefit from extra cooling and in some extreme cases may prevent thermal throttling, the actual flash chips on the other benefit from running hot. So you don't want to use one of those large heat spreaders, but you could consider one of those heat transfer strips that move heat from the processor to the flash chips.

Just today someone even posted an explanation why the chips prefer heat in the SSD thread.

BobHoward posted:

The stuff your friend mentioned about high temps being desirable while power is on is both true and not true. The not-true part is that leakage should reduce with lower temps, so fade is slower while the memory is cold. The true part is that, for physics Reasons which I don't understand, performing write/erase cycles while the temperature is high can partially heal worn floating gate insulation, extending the usable life of the memory cells and improving retention time for the data just written.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

junan_paalla posted:

Okay I finally put together a somewhat realistic list, and my local PC store has a 3070 in stock so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger, anything obviously wrong with my choices here?

I agree with what Mu Zeta said. After those saving replace the harddrive with some cheap 2TB SSD, a computer of that caliber doesn't deserve spinning rust.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

midge posted:

I've have a (potential) buyer beware story about MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI.

I test the 1080ti again, it locks in, but I now realise how tight it is on the non-screwed down end. My theory us that once that plastic part warms up, it expands and shifts the GPU just enough to cause a hard lock. Am I insane? The store won't take the mobo back since it's not faulty...what are my options? Getting a new gfx card will be a real PITA right now.

Edit : Just found this - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/accessories/flex-b-20/black/ I have Mesh 2, so it'll work with it. I guess this is the next step!.... Turns out it's back ordered everywhere. Does anyone know of decent alternatives?

If you press the GPU in the slot how well does the screw notch line up with the screw hole in the case? I've had cases where those were completely off and I had to set the screw to only hold the edge of the card bracket.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

bus hustler posted:

Can't believe I'm posting this as if it's a hot item but these should be step-up eligible & as far as I know there are no step up eligible cards in stock anywhere.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6097242/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Graphic-Card/

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6891693/EVGA-GeForce-GT-1030-Graphic-Card/

I believe Office Depot isn't an authorized EVGA reseller that is eligible for step up.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

schreibs posted:

Thanks, already got the GPU and CPU doing the discord alert route. It's a Festivus miracle!

Is the SN550 faster than the Crucial P5? I was going by advertised speeds which said 3600MB/s for Crucial and 2400MB/s for WD. Crucial have some fine print there? I plan on dropping it into the one (out of two for some reason) m.2 slot with PCIe x4 support on the mobo so I thought that could hit close to the theoretical speeds.

Discord I got both of my parts from was https://discord.com/invite/atr

Well I must admit the P5 is not a bad choice, at least it's TLC NAND with DRAM, decent performance and not a bad price. But I must comment that your fatal mistake was choosing the product based on the lies from the manufacturer. You never choose anything based on the numbers printed on the package, you read reviews. With quick search the first review I could find comparing 1TB P5 and SN550 was from Tom's Hardware. It's difficult to decide which is better since they are ahead in different tests. But since the P5 isn't clearly better than SN550 yet costs more it's hard to recommend it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

i was looking at all the other brands you suggested and they seem pretty good and cheaper but canada computers doesn't carry a lot of them.

i was thinking i'd just order one from this list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...,444,111,38&t=0 and install it myself. i'm guessing it's not too hard to install one of these after its built?

alternatively they have this in stock: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/xM97YJ/hp-ex950-2-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-5ms24aaabc

thanks!

They seem to currently have the WD Blue SN550 2TB, which is the usual recommendation.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Elman posted:

I'm a bit lost there cause he claims hard drive speed is very important for his work and I don't enough to argue otherwise but it does feel like a cheaper 1 or 2 TB SSD would be better. Also 500GB seems to me like it's cutting it close even if he has a huge 3TB hd for storage.

Oops, yeah I shouldn't have copy-pasted the prices. Don't pay attention to them.

If drive speed is important then there is no room for hard drive, replace that with a large SSD.

The Evo 980 is undoubtedly fast, but I doubt he would benefit from it since there aren't many ways to process data that fast. 7 GB/s is about a full length movie in 5 seconds, what could you do that fast. You can read the whole SSD in a little over a minute. A CPU can't compress nearly that quickly, I doubt video editing would be much different. Maybe some operation would take half a second instead of 0.55 seconds, but that's not something a human would notice. Better to get a bigger and cheaper NVMe.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

>In USA
>I plan on dual booting macos for daily computing and windows on another ssd for srs gaming @ 1440p 155hz gaming
>Would like to pay 1200 total for computer, but can go as high as 1500
>I'd like to do an itx build, and while I'm going with a largeish itx case this time, I want room to upgrade to a loque ghost in the future.

I got this system which seems hackintosh compatible slapped together, but I wanted to check if anyone had any money-saving tips. Probably not gonna pull the trigger on this until gpu prices go down to at least msrp, though.

Your SSD choices are weird. You have chosen one of the fastest and most expensive of the slow SATA SSDs and one of the cheaper and slower of the fast NVMe drives, although you may not notice a practical speed difference. Your motherboard has space for two M.2 drives, either both NVMe or NVMe and SATA. WD SN550 is the usual recommendation for NVMe, probably Crucial MX500 for a 2.5" SSD.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

enojy posted:

My eyes lit up at this thing! Thanks. I didn't even consider actual gear like this; my head was stuck in the realm of PC-specific applications.

If I understood your needs correctly, that Mackie won't work for you, it lacks an amplifier for your passive speakers. But passive speakers are definitely not traditional PC hardware, so you won't find much help from that side.

Since the size and heat of your current amplifier seem to be your biggest issue, then a Class D or T amplifier is probably your solution. There a copious amount of cheap and small amps available, the biggest difficulty is finding a one that supports optical input.

This KEiiD model seems like the best match after quick search, but it is a larger size. Fosi Audio DA-2120A and RGBTEK were smaller, but they lack headphone output. On the Fosi the optical input also doesn't support Dolby Digital or DTS, but 2-channel PCM audio is probably enough for you. But there are so many different models available I would expect there is something better fit for your needs. If the headphone output isn't good enough for your phones, a separate headphone amp is an easy solution as long as headphone or line output is available, for example the REC output on some of these models.

Douk Audio NS-19G
Sabaj A4

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

cr0y posted:

Not really looking to upgrade to a super pricy primary GPU as this desktop is mostly just treading water until I build a new Ryzen gaming rig. Will a second GPU not work?

Your motherboard already integrated Intel GPU, just use that. You probably need to go to BIOS to enable it. Advanced - Chipset Configuration - IGPU Multi-Monitor.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Boxman posted:

How critical is getting this heat sink onto the nvme drive? the screws don’t seem long enough to go through both the sink and the drive. Obviously I’m inclined to think “heat sink included it is needed” but I see boards sold without them, so I’m not sure.

It's basically irrelevant, it's mostly a decoration. The controller may throttle speeds, but in practice only during benchmarks. The NAND flash chips on the other hand prefer running hot so you don't want to cool them. It might just be useful to have a metal strip that transfers heat from the controller to the flash chips.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Okay what I decided was going for an integrated GPU/CPU setup for the time being with the expectation to add in a video card later if I'm still needing the extra power.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2jg8z7

That is the build I went with, except I changed the CPU cooler and added and extra chassis fan for cooling. I think this should at least get me started while being powerful enough for 1080p gaming at reasonable settings.

That CPU should come with a cooler so the Rosewill is unnecessary, unless you bought a significantly better cooler. You can get Windows license for $10-20 from SA Mart or eBay.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

PirateBob posted:

What do you guys suggest I do now then? There are 9 of them screwed in and I don't think any of them will be easy to get out...

Follow Pilfered's advice and also get a large high quality screw driver with exactly the correct size head. It would be much better if you can remove the screws from the standoffs normally than having to drill them out. Also purchased a new set of compatible standoffs, your current ones are probably screwed and I wouldn't dare to use them even with the correct screws. Amazon and possibly your local electronics store should have compatible standoffs.

Never ever force a screw. If it requires more force than usual stop what you are doing and re-evaluate. If you don't know how much force is usual, assume it requires minimal force unless you are dealing with self-tapping screws. Self-tapping screws are not used with computers. If you are not sure which screws are correct ones try them with just your fingers.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Would there be any major concerns in terms of reduced performance by getting a M.2 PCI-E card, and to stick it into the second 16x PCI-E 3.0 slot I have?

I only have 1 M.2 slot on my mobo and I want to add another

Minor limitation is that the second x16 slot runs at x4 speed, which is fine for NVMe, but if you use any of the x1 slots then that also drops to x1 speed. Manual page 29.

doomrider7 posted:

Forgot to add that it needs to be semi-modular. Reason being that most of the time I've had issues with full modular ones where they don't post due to the CPU not getting power or something to that effect since they don't have the cable for it and I need to buy one. That said, I'll definetly keep this one in mind.

What kind of motherboards have you used, since all modular PSUs come with the required cables.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The components are probably good or good enough, the extra expense is unfortunate but acceptable in these days. The worst thing about this I'd say is the 2 year warranty. If you built yourself you could mostly get components with 2, 5 or even 10 year warranties. RMA process is a question. With self built it would be good if you manage to diagnose the problem and RMA the correct component, not sure if you would have to return the whole computer with the Corsair.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Malaria posted:

What do I want here? What's the deal as far as size vs cost? Seems like the 8tb Seagate 5400rpm ones look like a decent enough deal(150ish on newegg).

The usual deal is WD Easystores or some other external USB drives, which you then take apart (shuck) and use the internal drive in your computer. You can find more up to date information in the NAS megathread.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm currently toying with the idea of going in for a VR headset so I can play flight simulators like DCS in VR. Specifically considering an HP Reverb G2. My current rig is i7 8700K and i think that's fine for the task, but I'm wondering if replacing the 1080 Ti is something I should consider or considering the prices of cards at the moment should I settle for what I have for the time being?

Outside of VR the computer is still handling everything I've thrown at it so I think if the 1080Ti can drive the Reverb G2 reliably then I don't feel that inclined to update.

You really want to get a verification for this or find recommended specs for running DCS World with the Reverb G2. For me DCS has definitely been the toughest VR load to handle. Flight simulators are generally resource hogs and Eagle Dynamics may be a too small outfit to optimize it well.

I have i5-3550K, GTX 1660 and Oculus Quest 2, usually use it with Virtual Desktop. With DCS this setup managed maybe 30FPS. I haven't done much work yet to tinker with settings to improve it. But this setup runs pretty much any other games just fine. With Elite: Dangerous I haven't noticed any frame rate issues, except maybe on planet surfaces, but that may be just the bumpy ride. Star Wars: Squadrons also seemed to run with my limited testing, with default settings it seemed to even run better than with my 1440p144 monitor.

There are three sources you could try for better information. Our own DCS World megathread, DCS World: This 2080Ti might finally let me hit 50 FPS!, the title of which may already tell you all you need. The general VR megathread. And the Eagle Dynamics VR forum.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

crepeface posted:

my cousin went against my advice and bought a gaming pc off facebook market. when i told him to at least check the ram speed, the guy said it was 1600 MHz. he ended up upgrading it to 2400 MHz, but i'm pretty sure there was an incompatibility issue with the mother board so for non-gaming tasks, it was slower than the 10 year old pc i gave him lmao.

I fear there may be confusion with units. DDR4-3200 runs at 1600MHz and it's faster than DDR4-2400. Hopefully you meant the lowest spec DDR4-1600 which runs at 800MHz.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Neuronyx posted:

Huh! Cool. I must be dumber or more behind than I thought, I remember it being more difficult...

It varies quite a bit by laptop model, generally the smaller and thinner it is the harder it may be. And many newer models make it more difficult. But traditionally for harddrives it was common that you only needed to remove one screw and slide a HDD tray out from the side, then remove four more screws to remove the drive from the tray. For RAM there was often a small hatch on the underside with single screw and the RAM slot was right underneath it. If you want to be sure you google for the service and maintenance manual. Here's the manual for my laptop I happened to download today. It pretty much has complete instructions to take it apart and full parts list.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

roomforthetuna posted:

Man, those SN550 *are* reasonably priced. Last I heard EVO was always the thing to do for SSDs, is that information also a decade out of date?

It's dangerous to make far reaching conclusions based on brand when it's pretty trivial to check from reviews what is the current reality. This applies to all computer components.

My understanding is that up to the 850 models Samsungs were one of the best performing models, trustworthy and about the best price-performance ratio, so they were the preferred drives. Later models were still just as good, but they were judged to be overpriced compared to the competition so they fell out of favour. In only the past year their prices has fallen enough at least on sales, that they have gained some of their favour back. But I remember also seeing opinions in the SSD megathread that their price has fallen because the performance isn't quite where it should be. From the Anandtech SSD 980 review:

quote:

Compared to its most important competitor, the year-old WD Blue SN550, the Samsung SSD 980 clearly hits better highs but also has more serious pitfalls. Both drives are DRAMless SSDs optimized for workloads that don't handle too much data at once. When a workload strays outside those limits, the WD Blue SN550 is the clear winner that holds up better under heavier workloads. Which of the two drives is preferable will largely come down to pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

roomforthetuna posted:

I'm leaning towards being cheap, because I've been developing on laptops for the last 10 years so y'know, as long as it's faster than a [checks current CPU] "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)", I'm not going to be especially upset by it.

So new picks based on suggestions here, going Intel because of the iGPU as suggested by some, and because cpubenchmark.net puts this one at the top of the list for "sorted by value" (determined by rating-per-dollar). I think the suggestion "Intel 1100" was probably supposed to be "Intel 11400"?

I realize benchmarks are weird and not necessarily indicative of real performance, but given how much trouble I have making any sense of what it means to have more threads / cores / MHz, I figure benchmarks are probably a better approximation than me guessing, and going with the 11400 with iGPU more than doubles the benchmark score for somewhat less than doubling the price I was previously looking at, and means I can get a cheaper motherboard too so the total price is only slightly changed, for about a 2.5X benchmark score improvement. (Though the motherboard change also goes from ATX to micro ATX and loses the spare RAM slots - but 64GB seems like I'm unlikely to need to go up further so that's okay.)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TP9X7X

(Would it be worth going another $40 up on the motherboard for more RAM slots and the addition of a USB 3.2 Gen2x2 header and 2.5Gbps ethernet? I don't have anything that uses those things right now, but future-proofing in the direction of peripherals seems more reasonable than other kinds of future-proofing.)

How have you identified that amount of RAM is the bottleneck on your current system. Based on your usage description my gut instinct would have been to concentrate on CPU performance and core count instead of RAM. I haven't done large scale compiling, but I wouldn't expect it to need that much RAM. Android emulators might change the situation, but do they need that much RAM and how many of them would you want to run simultaneously.

How I usually understand it is, that there is some amount of RAM you need. If you are under that amount you will have a bad time with all the swapping, but going above that will show only minimal benefits. It mainly increases the size of file cache, but with a NVMe drive you shoud have reduced need for that. With CPU performance and cores it's much more linear. There's certain amount of cores you can effectively use, but going under it won't reduce performance that badly and going above should show at least small improvement.

Your case don't seem to have support for USB 3.2 Gen2x2 header, so that won't provide you any benefit. Unless you install extra cable and route it to somewhere in the back or front of the case, but that may be a bit janky solution. Of course you could switch your case, there looks to be couple models for $70.