Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My current 1080p gaming system has an Intel i5-6600k CPU, and I'm wondering if it's not starting to show its age a little with newer titles. I have it paired with an RTX 2060 and 16 gigs of ram. Would a Ryzen 7 3700X be a reasonable upgrade? How're the Wraith Prism fans that come bundled with those CPUs? I have a Cryorig H7 paired with my current chip that I could possibly reuse?

I'm looking to eventually get a larger 1440p display, and maybe an RTX 3070 Nvidia sometime early next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Looks like it would be a good upgrade, but at this point I'd wait for Zen3 which will be a better upgrade:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2655?vs=2665

If I could get a good deal on the Ryzen 7 3700X, making it a little cheaper than a new Zen3 Ryzen 5 5600X, would it be worth saving the money and buying the older tech? I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be missing out some great new thing that Zen3 unlocks for gaming.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Will we need different motherboards than if we were getting something like a 3700X? I’ve seen some people saying maybe yes, others maybe no.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is there anything a prospective buyer should know about AMD’s Wraith Prism cooler? It’s the stock cooler that comes with their more high-end chips. I have no interest in overclocking, I just want something that’s reasonably quiet and cool, plus easy to install. (The Cryorig H7 from my current setup was a nightmare to get screwed down, it took 2 people.)

Basically, is it bad enough to warrant the extra cost of a third party cooler?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

sean10mm posted:

If low noise is a priority you probably won't like it. It will be noticeably worse than the Cryorig you're used to.

I'm not very noise sensitive, as I always wear headphones when using my computer, I just don't want it to be really loud (subjective, I know). I suppose I'm more concerned with its ability to keep the CPU cool while playing demanding games. If it can do that properly, at the cost of some slightly louder noise, and it doesn't have some known flaw which causes it to eventually fail, then I'm satisfied.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How much of a bottleneck do you guys think an i5-6600k is (for 1080p gaming at a high refresh rate) to something like my RTX 2060? I keep wondering if it’s worth just getting a 3070 now and upgrading the cpu later in 2021 instead of getting a new cpu/motherboard first. I can only afford to do one at a time.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

sean10mm posted:

4 core 4 thread CPUs like old i5 models are more a problem because newer games just want more threads to use.

Yeah, this is my concern. I think it needs to be the CPU first in that case. Certainly for newer games like CyberPunk etc.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Intended usage: 1080p gaming at high framerates, possible upgrade to 1440p down the line with a 3070.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£278.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£156.98 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory (Carry over part from current system.)
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£84.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Carry over part from current system.)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Founders Edition Video Card (Carry over part from current system.)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Currys PC World)
Power Supply: EVGA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Carry over part from current system.)

Okay, this is my final build. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this tomorrow, assuming there's nothing that needs changing. I'm going to use the stock Wraith Prism cooler for the CPU, and intend to use a few parts from my current system (which I've marked above) so only the CPU/Motherboard/Case/NVME storage will be brand new. Is there anything I should change? It's for 1080p gaming with a 144hz gsync monitor. I may at some point soon get an RTX 3070 if I go 1440p. The only part I'm slightly concerned about is the PSU, which is now coming up on 5 years old. It was meant to be a really solid unit (7 year warranty, good for 100,000 hours apparently) when I bought it, and I don't think I need more wattage, but will swap in a new one next month if using the same one again is a bad idea.

Edit: I'm getting a deal on the CPU, so it'll be cheaper than getting something Zen3.
Edit2: Do I need to add more fans to this case? I'm not going to be overclocking anything.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 9, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't use any Crucial NVME SSDs as your main drive (P1 or P2). They all use QLC which is ok for storage but it will slow down signficantly when the drive starts filling up past 70%.

Get this WD SN550 instead it's a workhorse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-SN550-High-Performance-Pcie/dp/B07YFFX5MD/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=wd+sn550+1tb&qid=1604881880&sr=8-1

e: And yes get one more 140mm fan for the front intake.

Thanks for this. Are there any specific fans I should get/avoid?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Would it be worth replacing an existing ram kit (16gb 3000mhz) with a faster version of the same kit? Something like 3200-3600mhz for use with a new Ryzen 7 3700X? The existing 3000mhz kit is a transplant from my old intel skylake system. Initially, I thought that the gains in doing so would be so minor as to be unnoticeable, but I’ve seen in a few places that Ryzen chips benefit a lot more from faster memory than my old intel stuff. Is it worth the upgrade? (This would be for gaming only).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

At what point do you need to start worrying about graphics card sag? I’ve never owned a card large enough to encounter it, but I am thinking of getting a 3070 next month, and I have a friend who had to buy a special piece of scaffolding to hold his 2070 up so that it didn’t sag and stress the motherboard.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is there a good recommendation for SSDs for bulk storage? I would want something that's about 2TB in size, maybe a bit less. Are they "worth it" at that size, or still too expensive, and I should just get another platter drive?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

The meshify c is a good case.

There’s also the new Meshify 2 (not the S2) that is also nice.

No reason not to if you like the look and it checks your boxes.

Keep in mind that the Meshify C will need an extra intake fan, as it only comes with one to begin with. The larger Meshify S2, which I just built with, comes with 2 intakes. I think if you don’t mind the extra size, the S2 is really nice.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When cleaning thermal paste from the surface of a CPU, what’s the best way? Given that this is an AMD chip, with pins on the back, is it safer to clean it in the socket?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do people like the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 for cooling a 3700x? Hopefully it will be quieter than the stock Prism cooler.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Replaced my AMD Wraith Prism cooler with a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4. It’s so much quieter. The only fiddly part of the installation was using the wire clips to mount the fan onto the cooling tower. The rest was a breeze. Certainly much improved from my Cryorig H7. That thing took two people to get mounted.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How long does Nvidia typically continue manufacturing their Founder’s Edition cards? I vaguely recall from previous generations that they stop making them fairly soon after launch, and that they aren’t meant to be a permanent fixture in the 30 series range of cards?

Edit: Seems like they might be around to stay. I think earlier gen FE cards might have been more limited.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

bus hustler posted:

As a COMPUTER TOUCHER PERSON and GAMER I am not kidding when I say the first 10 seconds I used a 144hz monitor I knew I had to have one, I had ignored the trend at 1080p/144hz but sat at a friend's goon throne and it was so smoooooth.

60hz does not bother me but goodness do I love everything about 144 *sync.

This is the quandary I'm currently pondering: Do I upgrade to a nice 1440p/144hz monitor in a few days, knowing that my 3070 can't really push 144hz at that resolution, or do I stay at my current really nice 1080p/144hz monitor and enjoy all the extra frames? I don't really think I need the extra screen real estate I'd get, as my PC is almost exclusively for gaming.