Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
1. What's a good reliable 4tb+ HDD? Doesn't have to be super quick, won't be running games or apps from it, just for storage.

And if I can sneak in a related question: How do you check a HDD's health/remaining lifetime?

And what the heck is SAS? Last time I bought a HDD it was all SATA.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Bryter posted:

NAS drives like WD Red and Seagate Ironwolf are what you want. You can use a program like crystal disk info to check a drive's SMART info. Don't worry about SAS, it's mostly used by enterprise servers, consumer motherboards don't even have SAS controllers.

Thanks. I might go for an IronWolf.

How do you interpret the info from CrystalDiskInfo?

It says "reallocated sector count: Current 100, Worst 100, Raw data 0000000000"

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

That basically means 100% for that parameter (others can work in different ways). If your drive did have reallocated sectors, I would think about replacing it, but perhaps more important than the number itself is if they increase. If a drive keeps reallocating sectors over time it is a clear symptom of impending failure. But if a drive has some reallocated sectors and that number never changes over weeks and months of use, it is possible some part of the media went bad for whatever reason and it isn't going to spread anywhere else. But a healthy drive should always have zero.

If it shows "Good" then the drive's built in SMART monitor has not detected any anomalies, but if it says caution or warning you should immediately back up your data and replace the disk. If you mouse hover over a caution or warning indicator it will tell you what parameters are out of the threshold and show their values. To really get full usefulness out of it though, make it auto start with windows, set it to auto-refresh all drives every 1440 minutes (once a day) and leave it running in the background permanently. It will provide early warning via a sound and notification on most impending mechanical drive failures and 90% of the time will allow you to back up all the data then replace the drive yourself if you act quickly. It also tracks all the drive parameters over time and can graph changes, although there will always be cases where a drive just fails abruptly without warning and crystal disk info can't help there.

SAS is for Serial Attached SCSI, this is exclusively an enterprise class feature and does not work on consumer motherboards/controllers.

Bryter posted:

Means you have no reallocated sectors, which is good. If you have anything to worry about there will be a warning.

Thanks guys!!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

stump collector posted:

Since you are comfortable with waiting, the AMD 5500 and 5500xt should be released soon. I think you'll want to wait until the dual/triple fan versions come out for those cards. This also may drive the price down of Nvidias 1650/1660s, so those could be another good option.

What is the actual difference between 1660 and 2060/70/80? Both "generations" seem to get recommendations...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Stickman posted:

The structural difference is that the 16XX series lacks raytracing support, but the 20XX cards are also more powerful. Here's the rough relative performance for 10XX, 16XX, and 20XX cards over the 1060 6GB

The best way to determine which card is best for you is to look up benchmarks for the games you'd like to play to see what kind of performance you can expect. Here's some comprehensive benchmarks for the 1660/1660 Super/1660 Ti, 2060/5700/2060 Super, 2070/5700 XT/2070 Super, and 2080/2080 Super/2080 Ti. Keep in mind that most benchmarks are on Ultra/Very High settings and you can get an good amount of extra performance by lowering settings (usually 15-30% going down to "high" and 60-100% on medium/low)

Cool, thanks. I doubt raytracing is super useful as of yet. Will probably need another generation or two to get much out of that.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Welp. The motherboard on my trusty old i5-2500k is finally failing after a decade. Many issues are popping up, one of them is that it doesn't turn itself off when I choose shut down or restart in Windows. Screen turns off, keyboard lights go off, computer remains on at unchanged noise level. Is this likely a motherboard issue or a PSU issue? I'm hoping to keep this PSU for my new build. It's an EVGA 750 G2 and it's only around 4 years old.

Anyway, I need recommendations! I need everything except PSU (maybe), GPU, monitor. I'll upgrade those (GTX 970 and 1200p) at a later time.

I want value for money, but perhaps not the bottom level components. I want them to last for 5 years or more. Also, there should be no need for flashing BIOS or anything like that. I'll be using it for a bit of everything, including gaming. Future proofing is the key here, without spending stupid money. For storage I'll need both a sizable SSD and a big HDD, 6TB maybe. I live in Europe btw.

Thanks

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Are you sure this isn’t a Windows thing?

Dunno, but there are other issues too. On-board internet functionality is knocked out more often than it works. Also something about my C drive needing repairs when I booted Windows. Figure it's time I took a hint. Motherboard, CPU and RAM is all around a decade old. The SSD errors are a surprise, that one is only 5 years old.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

Windows telling you that your drive needs repairs can be a hardware fault, or it can be pure software errors loving up the filesystem. You should get a program that can report drive health like CrystalDiskInfo, or a utility from the drive manufacturer (Samsung Magician, WD SSD dashboard). Even if you're gonna upgrade anyways, more SSD space is always good.

This is more a matter of luck than spending money unless you can predict the future. Your current system lasted 10 years because the CPU was amazing; people at the time thought it was pretty great but nobody knew Intel was going to take the next decade off.

I've run CrystalDiskInfo. On the C: SSD it shows a "POR Recovery count" of 000...3E, and a wear level of 000...4. *shrug*

Okay, forget I said future proof. Give me some recs, good people, for solid mid level components that are *more likely* than the bottom range components to last a while, without bloat or overpaying. :D

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Welp, my computer is bluescreening and crashing apps.

Time to upgrade.

I'm looking to keep using my EVGA 750w power supply, GTX 970, and 1200p monitor for a bit longer.

So I guess I need a decent cpu, mainboard, 1tb+ SSD, 4tb+ storage drive, and case. Maybe I'm forgetting something. :v:

Should be able to run next-gen games (once I upgrade the gpu).

What are some good components that are available in Europe?

Budget: €800?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

e;fb - but I would get a new PSU unless the one you have is <3 years old, still under warranty, and you are certain it is not the cause of your problems.

Decent CPU is a Ryzen 3600 or better (5600X is choice, 3700X/5800X as higher-core backups) if you can find it. For 1080p gaming, the 970 is probably fine for the moment, but you are going to want to upgrade to a 3060/3070 this year. Stop-gap option would be a 1660 Super.

Thread consensus is to go with a 1TB or 2TB NVMe drive for your boot and main games, then an SSD if you want more storage. If you are a maniac, like me, and want >4TB of storage you are either looking at multiple SSDs or a platter drive, which can get noisy/slow these days (ignore if you were born before 1990 :v:).

But, yeah, if you are floating the monitor and GPU, you can get a pretty good rig, depending on your tolerance for :f5:ing stock drop discords.

Oh, okay. The PSU is 4 years old. I'll get a new 750w then.

I don't think I can afford several SSDs for storage purposes. I want at least 6tb, come to think of it. UHD media takes up a ton of space.

I'll get a 3070 when the price is much lower. Goddamn GPUs have gotten expensive since the 900 generation.

As for CPU - the 5600x looks like a good buy. But it won't be in stock for several weeks here. I don't think I can wait for that. I'm thinking 3700x (might do some rendering and encoding) for now. A quiet cooler would be nice too. Thinking Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, unless there's something better at similar price.

I need a good motherboard that supports both the 3700x and a future CPU upgrade.

I don't think I need wifi. Doesn't have to be tiny. I think a midi-tower case will be fine.

Edit: I forgot all about RAM. What type/frequency do I need?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 4, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If the PSU has a 10-year warranty, thread consensus is it should be fine. For my money, I'd always buy a new one: a PSU is generally ~10% of the cost of a new system, which is a small investment to protect a grand or more of hardware.

I have the 3700X, it's a great chip: basically an 8-core version of what is in the new consoles. It will be safe for gaming for the next few years and the extra cores will help with rendering/workstation tasks. That said, the 5600X is a straight upgrade for gaming, to the tune of 25% more performance at the same price point, if you can wait.

The Mugen is a great cooler, the other go to is the Noctua NH-U14S for something a little larger.

Case is basically down to what you think looks good in your price range: there are very few lemons out there. Meshify and Phanteks are popular brands, Lian-Li is the classic "Cadillac" case.

RAM sweet spot for Ryzen is still 3600 CL16. You can save some money by going to 3200 CL16 for minimal performance loss. Going above 3600Mhz or lower than a cas latency of 16 has extremely diminishing returns for the investment. Check the mobo's QVL for a brand you like.

Thank you, "Toxic Fart Syndrome". Although the gaming performance looks tempting with a 5600x, the delivery situation looks terrible atm. A 3700x will have to do. I'll probably be gpu limited in the most demanding games anyway. Can't afford €500+ for a gpu.

What is "the mobo's QVL"?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
A couple more questions:

I read a review of the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi on anandtech (maybe this isn't the best site for reviews, please suggest others) and it seemed like a good option. However user reviews warn of potential trouble with BIOS/network etc.

What's a good mainboard with good on-board sound and bluetooth (for wireless controller) - I guess the bluetooth capability comes from the same component as the wi-fi thingy?

Coolers:
What's the difference between Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B and Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition?

I won't be overclocking. I just want something that'll keep a 3700x as healthy as possible while making as little noise as possible and being easy to install.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

pocket pool posted:

I just finished an upgrade with the non-wireless version of this board and a 5600X - I picked it because I saw it used in builds here and I needed an optical SPDIF output. (There is an MSI board that GamersNexus recommended I also considered, but it didn't have the SPDIF out.)

I had no major issues with the board, just a couple of little quirks (primarily related to the onboard LAN):

• The network was not detected during a fresh install of Windows, I needed to copy the drivers over on a thumb drive to install.
  • There are some really strange issues with particular driver versions in Windows. I can't find it right now but there are support pages related to it on Intel's website. The fix basically comes down to making sure you are using the specific version of the driver found on the ASUS website (1.0.1.4). After I installed this Windows "helped" me by automatically updating to the latest version which caused a bunch of problems for me (random massive speed drops and network drops). You will simply need to tell Windows to roll the driver back if this happens - after I did that I had no more issues.
  • My RAM didn't work out of the box - the board got stuck on the POST screen. I needed to do an update to the latest BIOS using headless flash. After that it worked in XMP, even though it wasn't on the QVL.

Other than those issues it seems like a great board.

Uhh that sounds like more trouble than I want.

What's the MSI board you considered? I doubt I need SPDIF.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do you update a motherboard's BIOS to enable support for the newest CPUs? Do you need to use another cpu to even do that?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

You wouldn't need to do it with a 3700x.

Most decent motherboards have a bios flash feature where you download the update onto a USB stick, connect just the motherboard and the power supply and plug in the stick then press a button and it updates in 5 minutes. For cheaper boards or boards without that feature then sometimes yes you would need an older cpu to update if the board hasn't shipped with a recent BIOS revision.

Cool, thx.

I seem to remember something about RAM benefitting from dual channels. Does that mean you get higher performance (other than capacity) from 2x16 compared to 1x16?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
The MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi seems like a good choice, unless anyone has anything alarming to say about it?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.64 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($188.32 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($145.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1072.91

I was pretty set on a 3700x, then I got the chance to buy an unopened 5600x today for 20 above retail. Thought that was a decent deal so I jumped on it.

Comments on the build?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
RAM - 3200 CL16 or 3600 CL18? Does it even matter? To get 3600 CL16 I'd have to add 35 to the price (32gb)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What do you actually need to flash one of these new motherboards for 5000 compatibility, without having a cpu installed?

Motherboard, PSU, USB stick (formatted to FAT32 I assume)? Anything else?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

How long does it take? How do you know if it's done and you can unplug the stick?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Check the documentation for your specific motherboard.

As a general guide, usually you'll connect the psu and mobo (24 pin and cpu pin), plug in and turn on the psu so the mobo is being powered, plug in your USB stick to the bios flash USB port and press the flash button for a second. You should see the indicator light come on and start blinking which means the update is in progress. When the blinking stops is when the update is complete and it's safe to turn off. The whole process is supposed to take less than 5 minutes but can be a little longer.

Again though, read and double check the documentation for your specific motherboard. It can be finicky, motherboards prefer old as poo poo USB sticks and also the filename needs to be exactly right.

Thanks.

I'm reading that they're finicky, and that USB 2.0 sticks are more likely to work.

Does anyone have a name of a USB 2.0 stick that has worked to bios flash an MSI B550 motherboard?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've ordered my new pc parts :dance:

Anyone know how the onboard audio is on these modern motherboards? I've ordered the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi. Will the audio quality be good enough and loud enough or should I get a soundcard?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
While I'm at it...

How much money would I have to part with to get a GPU that can play 4K video (my gtx 970 can't do this) and run PS5 generation games at a decent level? I don't need 4k 165 fps or ultra details. 1440p at 60+ would suffice.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

4k video playback should largely be taken care of by your CPU upgrade.

For games, a 3060ti or 3070 (if you can manage to get one) will be great at 1440p. You could probably go as low as a 2060 or 1080 if you don't mind turning settings down, but with used prices being what they are right now, buying new makes more sense.

That's a lot of :20bux: ... drat.

I'll see how the 5600x handles 4k playback before I decide.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why are all these RTX cards called "dual" or "twin"?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to all the regulars for keeping this thread an excellent fount of info that I once again used to update myself prior to building. I'd been wanting to build since early 2020 and finally got it done about a week ago.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $300.00 - Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (Purchased For $50.00 - ended up being free as it got lost in USPS so long Amazon gave me a refund...it came 3 days later)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $140.00 - Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $150.00 - Newegg)
Storage: Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $110.00 - Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Red (Retail Kit) 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $80.00 - Best Buy)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card (Purchased For $560.00 - Amazon - this was by far the hardest thing to get, took about 3 weeks of discord monitoring with 10+ "it was in the cart and poofed before checkout" incidents)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $70.00 - Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $120.00 - Best Buy)
Case Fan: ARCTIC BioniX P140 77.6 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $16.00 - Amazon) x 2
Total: $1612.00

I did white/black for my last build (5 years ago) that will get bumped down to kid computer, so I opted for black/red this time around. Vid card and mobo have very light RGB and it's just set to dim red.

lovely pic:

Look solid. Good value for $1600. Congrats on the 3070. :thumbsup:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there a webcam that doesn't suck balls/cost a lot?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Samadhi posted:

I checked the last few pages and didn't see this linked, so since I had the same concerns with my 5800X: AMD views Ryzen 5000 CPU temperatures up to 95C as ‘typical and by design’.

Da fuk. How's that gonna impact lifetime?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It shouldn't. The article covers it, but basically AMD claims the components can withstand those temps without any damage. They'd also leave headroom to prevent issues with spikes. As long as you're not getting performance throttles from temp, and it doesn't adversely affect the temp of your other components, it's perfectly acceptable.

Just because wisdom on old gen says "90c! That's horrific" doesn't mean it's true for new gen.

Hm yeah I'm still going to be a little sceptic about the longevity of components that you can literally fry an egg on :thunk:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Interesting take.

Components have rated maximums for a reason. Do you have any idea how hot GDDR6X gets?

No, I had no idea. That's crazy. In my mind, over 100c is where things are liable to start burning. :shrug: Guess I had the boiling point of water in mind.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

I built my first new PC in 2020 in about 10 years - and my first ever AMD CPU, and the high temps gave me the heebie jeebies too. But honestly, AMD CPUs are designed to run hot. I don't know if better cooling will mean it jumps up to the boost clock more, (someone else in this thread probably does), but yes, it'll run just fine hot. To be honest, the only reason I swapped out for an aftermarket cooler is that the stock Wraith Stealth cooler was far and away the loudest component in my PC. Even with the fan curves messed around with in the bios, it was incredibly loud. Putting in an aftermarket cooler has made it much much quieter - and there's capacity to reduce the ambient noise more if I decide to swap in the fan that came with the cooler for a noctua.

I also feel like those closed flat stock coolers with the fans on top are going to gather more dust over time (especially in a household with pets/smokers), and are way harder to blast with compressed air, so one of those big chunky radiators with the heatpipes that jut out horizontally from the motherboard just seems like it has better airflow, won't catch as much dust, and it seems like it'll be way easier to clean if it does somehow get dusty.

Oh. Good thing I ordered a cooler for my 5600x. Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. Hoping it's a silent one. :pray:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The scythes tend to focus on quiet rather than crazy cooling, so you’ll likely get that.

Butterfly Valley posted:

The fans they use on their coolers top out at 1200rpm so as Pilfered says, they're quiet. Theyre also excellent coolers, I've barely seen my 5600x top 70c under load with the Fuma 2 in an ITX case.
Great :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Helping a friend build a PC and I'm debating between a 3600 and a 5600x. I'm going to be loaning him a 1060 6GB for the time being so he can play games while waiting for probably a 3070.

To start, he will just have a 1080p monitor. He will probably upgrade to a 1440p at some point during the summer.

Games he will play: CoD, Apex, WoW, and definitely Diablo 4 when it releases. He has only PC gamed on a laptop before. Otherwise it has been mainly consoles for him. Any advice? I don't mind stalking the discords for the 5600x alerts, and I told him I would buy one when I found one. Trying to keep it around $1300-1400... And now that the 3070's have probably gone up to ~$600-650...

Depends on whether you want to the system to be more future proof and not have to gently caress around with an upgrade in a few years. :shrug: Also whether he wants to play at really high fps. If you were going to be using the PC for 4K, the cpu wouldn't matter so much because you'd be GPU capped anyway. But for 1080p and 1440p, there's a difference between 3600 and 5600x. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUqd0SUIgI&t=454s

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Where am I supposed to ask for help regarding the actual building of the PC?

Yes, I'm an idiot. I haven't done this in forever. Some things I've forgotten and some things are totally new. I've never seen a PSU shroud or an M2 drive before.

It's a Fractal Define 7 case, Corsair RM750x PSU (fully modular), MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi mobo (I managed to flash the BIOS for my 5600x, yay! :dance: )

Can I remove the PSU shroud? Do I have to attach all the cables I might need before I slide in the PSU?

Is there something I need to know before I mount the mobo? Or is it just placing it right down and adding screws?

I seem to be missing an I/O panel too. It wasn't in the case box.

A comprehensive video guide for dummies would be helpful.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are some guides on YouTube

The MOBO should have come with the I/O panel. You may want to recheck the box again.

I think the panel is part of the mobo, nothing else needed? See the picture: https://www.modders-inc.com/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-carbon-wifi-motherboard-review/

Rexxed posted:

The IO plate comes with the motherboard since it's fitted to the ports on the back of the motherboard. Most of the PSU shroud questions vary by case. In the ones I've built you can access everything from the right side panel on the case and the shroud is just covering the top and left side of the PSU, so you put the PSU in and hook up the cables you'll need in situ. That said if it's difficult to reach you could attach some before hand. I'd put the CPU and RAM and maybe heatsink on before putting the board into the case just to make it easier (unless the heatsink is huge but sometimes even if it is). Install RAM as your motherboard manual suggests (it wants specific slots for dual channel). The M.2 drive might also be easier to slot onto the board when it's out of the case. It will have a standoff and small screw that may need to be relocated from a different hole or will be in the motherboard box somewhere. Once you're happy you put the board down and slide it slightly back into the port plate holes (make sure the random tabs that are supposed to spring against the ports don't flip the wrong way and block any) then line up the 9 holes for screwing the board into the standoffs. Also, pre-check that there aren't extra standoffs touching the back of the board and make sure you're not missing any before installation. Once it's in you can hook up the front panel connectors which is honestly one of the most annoying things to do but the motherboard manual will have the pinout.

Thanks! :) It's not as hopeless as it seemed. There was a panel to be removed to open up the shroud from the left side.`

Edit: What about CPU power? The mobo has one 8-pin (cpu pwr 1) and one 4-pin (cpu pwr 2) socket. My PSU has 2 CPU cables but they're both 8-pin...?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 16, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

If it actually looks like that then yes, you're good. That is the panel there.
It does.

The extra 4-pin is if you wanna push like 400w+ of power through the CPU. Which is you’re here asking us, you’re almost certainly not going to do.

Just leave the 4-pin empty and you’ll be fine.
Cool, thanks :)

Also, I'm installing the PSU with the fan facing downwards. It seems to make sense that way, pulling in cool air from the outside rather than warm air from the case. There's some clearing underneath thanks to the feet on the case. That's fine, right?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 16, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Am I missing something?

When I try to mount the motherboard (MSI b550) into my Fractal Define 7 case, the mounting screws won't go all the way down. They tighten, but there's plenty of space left.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

vanilla slimfast posted:

You’re probably using the wrong screws. I did the exact same thing the first time I tried to mount my motherboard in my meshify C case. The mobo mounting screws are pretty small compared to most of the others

Oh. Hm. I'm kinda screwed then. They wouldn't come out again. So I screwed them in as far as they would go instead. They seem to be holding the motherboard more or less in place, *shrug*...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
My new PC is *totally quiet*. I can't even hear it running (light use).

The Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B seems like an *awesome* cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

spunkshui posted:

^^ yeah I agree

Does the case have stand offs?

Try different screws?

They should def go all the way down.

Yes it has standoffs.

I used screws that I identified as "mounting screws" in the Define 7 User Guide. They also listed another bag as mounting screws though. Without saying which ones to use.

After the first big one didn't go all the way in (and wouldn't come out again either - sounded like the standoff would have to be pulled out along with it if I'd really tried), I tried one of the smaller screws a different place and it didn't seem to fit.

What do you guys suggest I do now then? There are 9 of them screwed in and I don't think any of them will be easy to get out...