Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Whats the sweet spot for perfomance/price NVIDIA (need CUDA stuff) cards?

The 1660/1660Ti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Aurora posted:

i've already put together my current pc years ago but i just want someone else to do the work

like not to rain on any enthusiasm or anything i just want a computer that's done when i get it but customizable at purchase time :(

There some pre-built ones linked on Slickdeals that people priced out to be cheaper than the individual parts. I'm in a similar boat, older you get, less time you have to deal with it not working.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

PirateBob posted:

What is the actual difference between 1660 and 2060/70/80? Both "generations" seem to get recommendations...

From my limited knowledge, Raytracing and better 4k support. Most monitors are 1440 though.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Stickman posted:

The structural difference is that the 16XX series lacks raytracing support, but the 20XX cards are also more powerful. Here's the rough relative performance for 10XX, 16XX, and 20XX cards over the 1060 6GB

The best way to determine which card is best for you is to look up benchmarks for the games you'd like to play to see what kind of performance you can expect. Here's some comprehensive benchmarks for the 1660/1660 Super/1660 Ti, 2060/5700/2060 Super, 2070/5700 XT/2070 Super, and 2080/2080 Super/2080 Ti. Keep in mind that most benchmarks are on Ultra/Very High settings and you can get an good amount of extra performance by lowering settings (usually 15-30% going down to "high" and 60-100% on medium/low)

Sweet looks like a normal GTX 1660 is right for me. Now to find some DEALS DEALS DEALS.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Stickman posted:

I'd also check out the Super and Ti models of the cards you look at - if they're not much more expensive they're a decent performance boost.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Seconding this Stickman suggestion. The 1660Ti is a solid upgrade if you can find it for not much more than the regular 1660.

Looks like there is a deal for the 1660 for $185 (MIR) and the Ti's go for around $260.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

ItBreathes posted:

The Super has basically supplanted the TI. At the same price I'd say grab the TI but the Super is really the one you should be looking at. That said, a 1660 for sub-$200 is pretty dang good.

Its out of stock but hoping it comes back before the MIR expires (end of week).

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-gtx-1660-ventus-xs-6g-oc/p/N82E16814137400

DEALS DEALS DEALS

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I'm building a server (not enterprise quality) to run kubernetes, redis, nodejs, and rails. Traffic will be light, this will be mostly for development and a few users worth of traffic. This is just to hold us over until we move to GCP and pay for some sweet sweet cloud hosting.

tl;dr: at home server, low traffic, kubernetes, redis, nodejs express, ruby on rails, and postgres!

need help on mobo + case, have storage already! No need for video card, will just ssh into box.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BT 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $333.97

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'd still probably recommend the MSI Tomahawk just because my perception of the 2700x is that it can get power hungry and some VRMs might struggle, but you'd probably be fine with something like the MSI B450-A Pro.

For the case, are there any specific requirements you might need, like lots of drives, see-through side panel, high airflow, etc.? The Phanteks P400a starts at about $80 and is great for airflow and ease of use (recently won Gamers Nexus' Best Case 2019) and the NZXT H510 is basically the standard for "basic case". You could go with some of the barebones $30 Rosewill ones that will cut up your hands during install, be a pain to get stuff in and out of, and bend everywhere, but do the job, or something like a $50 Thermaltake Versa series or Cooler Master Masterbox that don't quite have all the features of a P400a or 510 but are still pretty nice and would serve as a server chassis just fine. Going the other direction in price, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M is very modular, the Cooler Master H500 has some bonkers airflow, and the Fractal Meshify C is the thread's case of choice.

I'd rather not get cut up, na nothing crazy in the case department. Simple, small, easy to work with. I have a Meshify C for my normal use computer and it was very easy to work with.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

KillHour posted:

If this isn't going into a living area where it needs to be quiet, 2 generation old servers are really drat cheap on eBay and are much less likely to decide they need to reboot RIGHT NOW.

Just an example as I'm on my phone:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-1U-Server-X9DRI-LN4F-2x-Xeon-E5-2660-2-20ghz-16-Cores-32gb-Rails/293124043673

You can stick SATA drives in a SAS backplane, too.

It will be in the bedroom (small apartment) so it will need to be moderately quiet.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I want to upgrade my case/mobo/cpu. I was thinking the AMD Ryzen 3600 (for maximum price/performance).

I had this case picked out, its gone now :(.

Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case

Is there something similar that preferably already comes with fans installed.

On the motherboard front I need something with 2 m2 slots (running linux + windows on separated ssds) and a usb-c connection on the front panel.

With all my parts i'm trying to the price/performance ratio but I'm okay spending more if its recommended.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Klyith posted:

Did you want the mondo-huge case because you have use for all the 5.25" drive bays? The corsair 750D airflow seems like the same idea, but it's only at amazon where shipping will be a month. Otherwise there's the bequiet 900 with 2 5.25 bays, but that's a lot more money.

Other than having fans installed, which covers like 99% of cases, what are your needs?

Yea I guess I don't need a huge case and won't have anything in there besides a gfx card + 2 m2 drives.

My current case was just really small for my gfx card. I got one of the cases smaller than a mATX.

quote:

If you need a USB-C front panel connector, shouldn't you be looking at a case with USB-C?

I thought the mobos come with a front panel if they have crazy connectors, guess that will narrow the cases I can buy.

5436 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 27, 2020

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Stickman posted:

Honestly, I'd just get a Meshify C and a usb-c hub. You can count the number of ATX cases with front usb-c ports on one hand - under $200 you're pretty much limited to an NZXT H510, Lian-Li O11 Dynamic, Eclipse 600S, or Fractal Design R6 / S2 / Meshify S2.

Of those, the H510 is the only one that isn't a beast, and the Meshify C has better airflow (and a windowless option!)

Good thinking, I'll just get a usb-c front panel.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Stickman posted:

Unfortunately, the Meshify C (and most smaller cases) don't have front panels any more. You'd need to pick a case with ODD bays. A usb-c hub or extension cable affixed to your desk or the top of the computer with velcro or magnets would have the same functionality, though!

Times are a changing, guess i gotta say gently caress it to usb-c.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

5436 posted:

I want to upgrade my case/mobo/cpu. I was thinking the AMD Ryzen 3600 (for maximum price/performance).

I had this case picked out, its gone now :(.

Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case

Is there something similar that preferably already comes with fans installed.

On the motherboard front I need something with 2 m2 slots (running linux + windows on separated ssds) and a usb-c connection on the front panel.

With all my parts i'm trying to the price/performance ratio but I'm okay spending more if its recommended.

Ok looping back on this

Meshify C
AMD Ryzen 3600

I need a motherboard with 2 m2 slots. I've given up on usbc. I have everything else.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Hey guys, my friend needs a rig for data science/ML. He wants an nvidia card for CUDA/Tensorflow stuff. His budget is $1,000, a little higher if there is value. Really looking for the performance/price sweet spot.

It's been about a year since I built mine, if anyone has a build they've done that would be really helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Alucard posted:

Dunno what kind of power he's hoping to get but here's a quick example of the poison in the rear end it is to get CUDA cores generally. I suspect even the data science GPUs are getting bought up by scalpers/miners as well...

Depending on what kind of GPU he wants, you're probably going to have to wait a while for anything close to MSRP or pay at least $500-800 for a midrange card.

I was eyeing a sub-$1000 build for gaming and I think I'll be lucky if I can stay under $1200 now.

Looks like it's gonna be a mac mini m1