Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I have recently become a full time work from home person. I have a work laptop and a personal desktop. Right now I only have one monitor. I want to upgrade to two, but preferably I would like it for both. Is it possible to have some sort of a setup where I can have flip a switch and have the monitors flip over from the laptop to the desktop and vice versa? I'm not even sure what the names of the equipment are to make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Thanks for the KVM input, everybody. That does look exactly like what I want.

Winged Orpheus posted:

I believe the name of the item you are looking for is a KVM switch. Just make sure whatever you're getting supports multiple monitors, and whatever peripherals you'd like to swap between them as well
I looked it up. I have a Surface 3 Laptop, it does USB-C for outputs. The laptop does support two monitors. My desktop is DVI. I am looking at this thing, now I just need to figure out which configuration will give me the right ports/cables to get me working.