Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
My goons, I am going to build my first PC. Trying to make a semi good gaming machine. I found this "cookie cutter" build on part picker. Do these components look good?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($206.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.75 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1597.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-01 21:11 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

FreeKillB posted:

The thing that I can say confidently is that others will recommend saving money by getting a windows 10 key off of SAMart.

It seems that if you are aiming for 'semi-good' then a 2080 super is overkill compared to waiting for the next gen cards but i don't know if you have a particular framerate/resolution to aim for.

I don't. I may stick with the card I have in my current PC until I need to upgrade. Graphics cards are pretty compatible right? That's the impression I got from the OP.

How do you guys mess with cables and stuff? Do you get your parts and decide what you need? Or do the components generally come with that stuff?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Klyith posted:

3600X has very little to gain versus a plain 3600. A non-X 3600 and a $30 heatsink plus PBO will have the same clocks at the X and be quieter. Otherwise, a 3700X is a true upgrade over the 3600.

The Crucial P1 is a QLC drive. QLC is fine for average desktop & gaming use, but get slower as the drive gets full. They're IMO best as a secondary drive for like games-only storage. A WD SN550 is a better choice as the system drive. Higher-tier drives like the WD SN750, Inland Premium, Adata SX8200 Pro, or HP EX950 are also only a little more expensive most of the time.

It's not the best time to buy a 2080 Super, since new 3000s will be coming in a few months and your $700 might instantly lose $250 of value.

As FreeKillB says, buying win10 is for suckers. An old 7 or 8 key will work if you have one from a previous PC, or buy a cheap key for $15 in SAmart.

For the average build that's not doing color-coordinated replacement cables, you don't need any extras. The exceptions are sata drives -- the mobo box generally includes 2 sata cables, so data packrats with many HDDs may need more. And if equipping a case with silly numbers of fans you may want splitters that pass PWM signals.

If you have an old PSU with modular cables, do not reuse them with a new PSU.

I updated my list with your suggestions. Changed the CPU to the 3700X since the price increase was not to big. Opted for the SN750 SSD and I'm going to wait on the graphics card. Regarding the windows suggestions: are you guys saying that I can use the key from the sticker on my current desktop?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I had a false start last year on building my first PC and I think I'm ready to try again. I never actually purchased any components so I am starting fresh. I think I should start by picking a CPU and building out from there. What is recommended for a good gaming PC? Is the Ryzen 5 5600x still recommended, or is there something new out there?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do you have access to a GPU, or do you have a lot of patience and a willingness to wait for a new one? Do you want to have the best current gaming CPU? If so, then plan to build around the 5600X.

Do you not have access to a GPU? Do you want to be able to build a system that you can at least use in the interim while trying to get hold of a GPU? Do you want to have an excellent value budget/midrange CPU, which includes integrated graphics? Build around the Intel 11400.

I have a 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB in my current PC which I am hoping will hold me over until the great shortage is over. I am aiming for a somewhat "high end" gaming PC so integrated isn't going to work for me.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So I already have my CPU in hand and now I've been trying to decide on the rest of the components. Since I'm a noob I picked a mother board with flashback as read it's supposed to be easier to update. Something I'm concerned about is the mid tower case. Is this going to be hard to work in? Would a full tower be recommended for beginner?

Does there appear to be any problems with these components? I will be using a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB from another PC for graphics.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($257.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($85.39 @ Amazon)
Total: $933.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-06 20:20 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

1. Get a dedicated CPU cooler. The Scythe Mugen 5 or Fuma 2 are a good match for your CPU.
2. Get an NVMe SSD. The Western Digital SN550 is the thread favourite pick for performance and value.
3. Don't bother with an X570 board, B550 boards do everything you need them to and more. All decent ones come with flashback anyway but you almost certainly won't need to use it as all new boards will come with Zen 3 compatible BIOS already on there.
4. Get a gold rated PSU.
5. I built my first PC in 15 years recently in an ITX case. You'll be fine. Full towers are like 90% wasted space by volume.

Ok I'm updating my list. Couple questions:

1. Why the CPU cooler? Is the one that comes with the CPU not good quality?

2. Regarding the PSU: Would it be best to get full modular?