Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm building a new SolidWorks workstation. According to the folks at Puget Systems, it's kind of a toss-up between the high end Intel and AMD chips: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2020-SP1-CPU-Performance-1681/

I realize that availability is terrible right now, but I'm looking to upgrade from my old 4790k system. It's been solid for 5 years, but I'm just about full on my 500GB SSD, the fans are getting noisy from 24/7/365 use, and I should probably swap out the power supply. Plus, it's running Win 8.1, and I need to move to Windows 10 for SolidWorks 2020. It's also got a ton of outdated software, and I'd like a fresh start from both a hardware and software perspective.

I do a little bit of video editing, mostly 1080 GoPro stuff, and the occasional 4k clip. Current machine struggles on these tasks pretty badly.

I'm thinking Ryzen 7 3700X, which seems to be the best price-performance balance.
32GB of RAM is mandatory, likely heading to 64GB. DDR4 will certainly be quicker than my current DDR3.
I'd like a 1TB M.2 NVME main drive, and I'll likely move over a 4TB WD Red from my current system or shuck a 10TB white label. Likely going with the Samsung 870 Evo+, but the motherboard needs to support the higher bandwidth M.2 speed.
I'll pick up a Quadro M4000 or P1000 card from eBay, they're usually Dell or HP workstation pulls and don't break the bank. I don't need a $500+ graphics card for the SolidWorks stuff I do, as my K620 has been doing OK. PCIE 4.0 not required for the graphics card, but might be nice for future graphics upgrades.

I'm clueless on motherboards these days, and I'd welcome any input on individual parts. Definitely don't need/want WiFi, and only Intel Gig-E. No need for RGB or anything fancy like that. To be honest, I'd be inclined to look at server hardware, but it's such a crapshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

sean10mm posted:

Depending on how many storage devices you hope to eventually plug in at once you *might* actually want an x570 motherboard instead of a B450. For instance they often start disabling SATA ports as you add M.2 devices to a B450.

I *think* B450 also maxes out at 64 GB, while x570 goes up to 128 if you think that could be a future concern since you're already looking at wanting 64 GB.

Cool. Thanks for the info... good to know about disabling SATA as you add M.2. Chances are, I'll be on 1x M.2 and 2-3x SATA maximum.

What's a decent X570 board? MicroATX or ATX, doesn't' matter, as I've got a big full-tower P280 case. Intel Gig-E is apparently an issue, because half the boards have Realtek LAN :emo:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

The Gigabyte X570 Gaming X is frequently put forth as the best low-cost X570, in that it has a great VRM for the price and all the essentials. But it's got a realtek lan. If intel lan is required the Aorus Elite is the next step higher and has that.

(Personally I think the realtek wired lan is generally fine. I have had plenty of problems with their audio and realtek wifi over the years, but plain old ethernet is so simple even realtek can't gently caress it up too badly. This might change if you actually use gigabit speeds on your lan because you have a NAS or something, I don't have one so I rarely stress it too hard.)

I'm regularly pushing gigabit speeds to my NAS or other local machines.

Thanks for the recommendations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
How's this look for my workstation? I'll keep my current case, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD, and likely the 4TB Red HDD. I can't find a motherboard in stock, so this'll wait until something shows up. Any chances of memory incompatibility with this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Team T-Force VULCAN 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $959.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-29 12:38 EDT-0400

Probably buying a Asus Prime X570-P once it's in stock. 2x M.2, decent VRM from what I read, and a COM header (yes, I know).

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 29, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You seem to be missing a GPU.

Quadro M4000 or P1000 off eBay. Sorry, I didn't mention that. This is for Solidworks, CAD, and video editing, so no gamer cards.