Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Just got sent this. Seems like a pretty good deal. For 3700X + mobo money, you can get a 3800XT with what seems like one of the good mobos? Anything I'm missing here?

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-16-Threads-Unlocked-Processor-Motherboard/dp/B08K3FDVWS?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_349e4521_60&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, video editing
What's your budget? Flexible
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Main monitor is 1440p @ 140hz, second monitor is 1440p @ 60hz.

I went very tasteful and understated with the last build. Now, I'm ready to make an RGB monster that glows like the surface of the sun. RGB me up. Mobo, anything else that can be RGB let's do it. Not married to the case, but it seems like a good one. If there are case fans I should get, also interested in recommendations there.

Like everyone else, plan is to get a 3070 or 3080 whenever that becomes a possibility. Leaning towards 3070, but if both were available I'd consider a 3080. Mostly play Valorant and Rocket League, but I also play some more demanding games, and running those at max or close to max settings at 140fps would be cool.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $269.99)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($10.00)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $379.99)
Total: $1629.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-23 02:54 EDT-0400

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming, video editing
What's your budget? enough to get a 5600x and 3080 and build a system around them
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? main display 1440p@144hz, second display 1440p @ 60hz, probably will get a third once I have a bigger desk - especially focused on performance in competitive FPS, but really I'd like everything to run at ~140fps without having to turn settings down.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 EG 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.02 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($10.00)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $379.99)
UPS: CyberPower CP900AVR UPS ($109.95 @ Newegg)
Custom: DEEPCOOL GH-01 A-RGB Graphics Card GPU Brace Support Holder ($30.98)
Total: $1283.79

Looks like 5600X availability is improving based on the discord I'm watching. Ready to pull the trigger on everything else once I can grab one and I'll use my 1060 until I get a 3080 or pivot to a 3070.

Trying to go RGB where I can, but someone upthread said there are basically no good RGB PSUs, should I swap to a regular one?

Do I need to add a pack of fans or two?

I like the look of the motherboard I have in the build, but I'm used to having 6 USB devices plugged in at once. I could go down to 5 if I have to, but are there any decent options with 6 on the rear that still have RGB and aren't $300?

What is the best option if I wanted to go to a 2TB SSD for the main drive?

Anything else stick out as a bad choice?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What's the thread recommendation for a case with a window that can fit a 3090 and at least two HDDs?

I've given up on the dream of a $700 3080. It would have been double what I've ever spent on a graphics card, but I figured it was worth it. Many steps in between, but now I think I have progressed to the final stage of - I will buy literally anything NewEgg lets me, including a 3090. In preparation, I'm trying to get an idea of what that might mean case-wise.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Now looking at pre-builts. Every place seems to have its own quirks. Falcon Northwest is insanely expensive (as expected) and apparently requires you to go water cooled. Found Origin PC, seemed a little more reasonable and claims they can get a 3080 having system out in a month. Specced a system out there:

Origin PC posted:

Case : Corsair 4000X
Exterior Color : Black
Interior Lighting : iCUE RGB with CORSAIR NODE PRO
Current Special Offer : Free US Ground Shipping $50 value
Processors : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.6GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard : Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
Memory : 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3000MHz (2x16GB)
System Cooling : Corsair A500 Air Cooler (Fans matched w/ System Fans)
System Fans : CORSAIR SP120 PRO Performance iCUE RGB controlled by iCUE software
Graphics Cards : NVIDIA 10GB GeForce RTX 3080
Operating System : MS Windows 10 Home
Operating System Drive : CORSAIR 1TB MP600 Gen4
RAID : No RAID
Power Supply : CORSAIR 750 RMx SERIES PLUS GOLD
Power Supply Sleeved Cable : No Sleeved Cable
Audio : Integrated High-Definition Audio
Networking : Onboard Network Port
The ORIGIN Difference : The Best Gaming Experience Guaranteed
24/7 U.S Based Warranty : 1 Year Part Replacement with 45 Day Free Shipping

$3,169 USD before shipping/tax

Besides RGBing it up a bit, tell them where I'm going wrong in general.

A couple weird quirks for Origin:

The only NVMe options are Corsair MP510 / MP 600, or Samsung 970 EVO / 980 EVO. From the thread, I know not to pay the Samsung tax, but when I was planning to build myself, I was going to get the Western Digital. Are Corsair SSDs ok, or should I get the Samsung afterall?

The RAM options are stranger. I'd like to get some RGB RAM this go around, but they don't offer the cheaper (Vengeance rgb pro) 3200mhz rgb ram in 16GB or even 32GB. I assume that's because it's the most popular with people that order RGB nightmares from places like Originpc.com and they are putting the screws to the consumer like everyone else. The more expensive (Dominator) rgb RAM would be an option, except if you select it, it automatically switches the build to water cooling and won't let you switch back. I assume that RAM is taller and would be blocked by the air cooler. I've got the 3000mhz cheaper rgb RAM selected right now as a placeholder. Is 3000mhz RAM going to suck?

Also, they have an option that for 80 bucks they'll put your computer in a wooden box for shipping? Is that necessary? Should I be factoring that in as well? If the UPS guy throws my computer down the stairs on the way to me, is Origin planning to stick that on me?

Thanks for the help.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I've been looking at Origin PC for a pre-built machine just to actually get something in hand. Took a look at Alienware/Dell today, and they seem significantly cheaper, but its hard to tell. Do they build in normal PC cases or are the only desktop options these weird PS5 looking things that seem like they would be airflow nightmare?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Besides the fact that it'll be a year or so before you get one?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
There is no "keeping an eye out" for a current or even last gen gpu. It's scalper prices, pre-built, or actively struggling for one (MC camping and hoping, shuffling, bb drops). You will not be getting one otherwise.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Amazing what the tiniest (10bux) barrier to entry can do to promoting civil interactions between people.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

BrainDance posted:

Are people getting those premades at a reasonable time?

A friend tried going that route for a 3080, and at first they told him 2 months. 2 months later they told him it'd be another 8 months.

Having put in an order for a pre-built about a month ago, I'd be interested to hear more. Which builder was this? When did he order?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did you order a pre-built or a custom build from like ibuypower? Most of the prebuilts come from an already existing inventory, while the custom ones come from stock receiving estimates and are much more likely to push.

I ordered a custom build from cyberpower. I figured the almost 3 month lead time they gave me was hopefully pretty conservative. If that's not the case, maybe I just need to start hunting for something ready to ship.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

pumpie2 posted:

I hadn't considered a fully built system at all. I'm definitely still in the research stage of a new pc so I'll click around. What would be a reasonable lead time to expect?

As I'm just finding out, 2 weeks to 12 months depending on what it has in it and whether it is a ready to ship pre-configured deal or a custom build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Chinatown posted:

I was able to get a CyberpowerPC through Best Buy with a 3070 by bookmarking the page and just checking it all the time and got lucky one weekday morning. Arrived at the store to pickup in 4 days. Check my previous posts. Still working great!

Is there room in the case to mount any HDDs? Can't tell from the pictures. How much clearance is there for a air cooler? Think I could stick a 212 in there and get rid of the water cooler?

vvvv thanks

RVT fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 17, 2021