Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Heads up Micro Center has the 2700X listed for $150 which is a little higher than Black Friday but still a great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

TheManWithNoName posted:

I haven’t built a PC since 2003 and I’ve been using a MacBook since 2008 so I am way out of the loop. I’ve been watching a bunch of videos on builds and found a few guides that meet my budget and needs. This machine is going to be for catching up on old games, streaming Plex to my TV, and browsing/word processing.

Please tear it apart. I would eventually like to add a dedicated GPU, upgrade the processor, and obviously add an SSD or two, but I am not in any hurry on any of that.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($44.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $383.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-22 01:34 EST-0500

You might be able to find an old 2200G/2400G for only a few bucks more. You'd have to apply your own thermal paste but it will actually play games and multitask well.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

tuyop posted:

Huh, might have been that. Might have also been the orientation. Or both! I just pulled the thing off, swapped out the paste, tightened the bracket a bit and tinkered with the mount to get it rotated 90 degrees so that the fan was in line with the intake and exhaust. Now we've got averages below 40C and mysteriously the clock speed of the CPU is like, sane now with like 700mhz/.9v much more common if I glance over to Ryzen Master. Edit: I spoke too soon, we're back up to 4ghz/1.43v 60C forever. I'm just sitting here putting Word docs into a certain folder, hardly folding proteins.

Thanks for your help!

Now we take a break from computer surgery until those loving antenna bits come this week.

Edit2:

This behaviour is so weird.

Ryzen master has my 2700X at 4.2 all the time no matter what. I think it's just some auto-OC thing. When it's at idle it stays cool though, so I'm pretty sure it's not pumping electricity full bore through all 8 cores.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
What’s going on in your process list?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
60 degrees at 3% CPU usage is pretty bad. I would investigate thermal paste application and fan settings in the BIOS first.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

tuyop posted:

Yeah it does idle at around 40. It's just never at idle! Task manager says 3% but Ryzen Master says like constant boost.

Actually now I haven't changed anything, like literally the same stuff open, and it's at 37C and idle clocks. This is crazy but I suppose it's functional!

Mine does the same thing. 2700X shows core speed at 4150 on all 8 cores at 42 degrees while browsing on Firefox. Task manager shows 3-4% CPU utilization.

It's idle, but it's allowing an OC because it doesn't need to throttle.

If your fans are going full speed at this temperature, make sure they're all in the right headers then get into your BIOS and set the curves to ramp up at a higher temp.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

thechosenone posted:

My dad want's a real cheap computer to browse the web and do facebook/emails. I've found a computer for 289 Dollars on newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/hp-elitedesk-800-g2-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-001E-3XM48?&quicklink=true

That seems pretty much enough. Are there any other corners to cut? I just want to make sure I'm not missing a 50 dollar savings on something somewhere. We have a monitor, keyboard and mouse already, and don't need anything more than a couple usb ports and a hdmi/displayport/vga to connect the monitor.

I'd like him to have an SSD (doesn't have to be big at all, just enough to put programs on. 256 GB should be plenty).

Ars Technica recently gave a thumbs up to WalMart’s Gateway GWTN141-2. At least as good as the desktop and he can FaceBook on the shitter.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/battle-of-the-350-laptops-acer-swift-1-vs-gateway-ryzen-3-3200u/

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Running RDR2 benchmarks to use my PC as a space heater for my home office.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Frog Act posted:

So I'm a tech-illiterate idiot and I want to install a new SSD in my tech-illiterate idiot Alienware computer. The extremely good and helpful posters in CSPAM pointed me to the manual here which seems to more or less outline the installation steps and implies that even a cretin like me could do it. I looked around for U.2 drives and they seem really expensive but since I just want a normal SSD to slap in this fucker for Cyberpunk 2077, it sounds like I only need an M.2 drive, which might be cheaper? Anyway, I'm wondering this this thread could guide me to a reasonably affordable SSD and give me any important installation / compatibility tips so I don't order something I can't use or order something I can use then burn my entire computer down trying to stick it in there.

Once you figure out the compatibility situation, the Paul’s Hardware YouTube channel has very good PC assembly/upgrade instructional videos for the tech illiterate.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I got conflicting information about the 450s compatibility with any well priced 2 x 16 gb 3600 ram so I just figured I'd get a 550 which seem to be compatible with a lot more.

As far as the Zen3, will that lead to a massive price drop for the Zen2?

Thank you!

There may well be Black Friday deals on Zen2. Last year I got a 2700X for $129.

If Zen3 suffers availability issues, or ends up being high-end only, then prices may not drop for mid range stuff.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m moving a bunch of poo poo to a new case/mobo/PSU this week. Anything I should know about moving the CPU over? That looks like it’s gonna be the riskiest part. I’ve only ever installed new CPUs into a motherboard, never transferred one to a new build.

It’s a lot easier to pull off a cooler from a warm CPU than a cold one. Don’t be like me and bend pins trying to force it out. Mad props to Jayz2cents for showing me how to straighten them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Micro Center price matches Amazon and NewEgg.