Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Welp. I was able to snag a prebuilt on BestBuy.com with a 3070 this morning. I will be adding additional fans but...uh...yeah. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

How much was that

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6434646

Seems like a decent build. I'm going to add more exhaust fans on top and a second SSD.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

My 3070 by itself sells for $1400-1500 so yeah, I would say that's a good deal

For anyone interested, I had that page bookmarked for a few weeks and had been checking regularly. Checked at 10am PST and I almost was able to get it at my closest BestBuy but they got snapped up between adding it to my cart and checkout. Refreshed a few times the next few minutes and it said "not availble within 250 miles". A few :f5: in frustration later it came up again as "in stock nearby". I guess they added more stock to other stores ~50 miles away and I was able to successfully order one.

I really think I just got lucky. Its nuts how fast they sell.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 6, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
what the gently caress :mad:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where's a good place to buy a prebuilt? I've built a handful of PC's in the past, but the part shortages are making it tough to build right now. I'm okay paying a premium for a higher-quality build / case / etc.

I was looking at Falcon NW, are there other options around in the 2k range?

e: Alternately, if there's some secret to getting a Geforce 3070+ for a build, I'm okay with doing a regular build

I bookmarked this page and checked it regularly. I was able to snag one last Wednesday in the morning but they sell out super fast. Haven't yet picked it up. Still waiting for *order ready for pickup* but they charged my card already so it looks promising.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You could also get a double arm mount to free up desk space if you chose.

Best upgrade I've done. Totally changes how your desk feels. Plus, I can shove one monitor right in-front of my face when I'm gaming. :D

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

I bookmarked this page and checked it regularly. I was able to snag one last Wednesday in the morning but they sell out super fast. Haven't yet picked it up. Still waiting for *order ready for pickup* but they charged my card already so it looks promising.

FWIW I got this prebuilt Sunday, 4 days after snagging one. Fired right up and haven't had any issues so far. The RAM was set to 2666mhz in BIOS so I upped it to 3000mhz since that's what the RAM is rated for.

Case airflow is pretty shite, so I added 3 exhaust fans on top, one more intake up front (3 total), and reversed the AIO fans from exhaust to intake. So all side fans intake, and exhausts upwards. Mid 70C for my 3070 at full load with ray tracing. Still a bit hot but it works. CPU stays in the mid-60s under full load.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 12, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

so I think you’re right that it’s just a bad case

My takeaway is that air doesn't like right angles. Which is basically the intake geometry.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

Front intake to top exhaust is a totally normal setup, I think you might be better leaving the rear AIO as exhaust as (in theory) at the moment the air from the front is pushing against the (hot) air from the back and not getting sucked out by the top exhausts as efficiently as if it was set up as front intake top/rear exhaust.

Yeah I might try this and report back.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

Are people getting those premades at a reasonable time?

A friend tried going that route for a 3080, and at first they told him 2 months. 2 months later they told him it'd be another 8 months.

I was able to get a CyberpowerPC through Best Buy with a 3070 by bookmarking the page and just checking it all the time and got lucky one weekday morning. Arrived at the store to pickup in 4 days. Check my previous posts. Still working great!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

RVT posted:

Is there room in the case to mount any HDDs? Can't tell from the pictures. How much clearance is there for a air cooler? Think I could stick a 212 in there and get rid of the water cooler?

There's two HDD slots in the bottom accessed from the non-windowed side. 6.5 inches from motherboard surface to window so it would be tight. AIO works fine for me though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Buy the dip!!!! :blastu:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Painting a mural of President Xi on my case tonight.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hard wired ethernet 4 lyfe

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
So...now that my prebuilt has proven itself the past 2 weeks. I have a EVGA 1060 6GB (single fan) that needs a new home. How much could I get for it? Willing to Goon Price this if anyone's interested.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:hmmyes:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
FWIW its been a month with a Best Buy CyberpowerPC prebuilt with a 3070 and honestly, other than adding more fans and having sub-par airflow, the thing has worked flawlessly.

Please do not bend over and take it up the rear end for a fukin computer thank you.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I think that's an impeller.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
PC Building Megathread - *sighs* This prebuilt looks good enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU