Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I have a Ryzen 2600x with stock cooler, but the ramping up and down noise is killing me.

After reading the last few pages, the answer is a Scythe Fuma 2? I'm not OC'ing hard, and squeezing every last % of performance is not that important to me. I'm using a full tower case so I should have lots of room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Thanks. That's very helpful. As long as it's quiet then I'm happy.

Edit - speaking of quiet. Any idea if the continuous operation dual ball bearing fans are noisier than the regular non-CO fluid dynamic bearing? My system is my plex server, so it stays on 24/7. I'm likely way overthinking this, but perhaps the Freezer 34 CO might be a better fit. Same price as the Freezer 33.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 24, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I have a RX480 GPU, which does most of my 1920x1080/60hz gaming fine. I'm looking at upgrading to 1920x1080/ 144hz for gaming and VR purposes. I guess the current meta is to wait for Ampere to drop sometime in next few months?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I have a system with an early RX480 8GB reference (blower) model and a 1440p 144hz monitor. Honestly, everything I've played has been smooth at reasonable settings. Vulkan based games really haul rear end on the card. I don't know about VR performance, but I think the RX480 will probably surprise you at 1080p/144hz if you're not CPU or memory bottle-necked.

Thanks for that. I'm running a ryzen 2600x and 16 gig, so most games are pretty good. Perhaps I'll go for the monitor first and see if my current card can carry things for a while. I have a Rift S VR set, and it auto-defaults to low quality. Still, Half Life Alyx runs smooth so I can't complain too much.

I have to say, I was surprised that the 480 still has a decent after market price. Ebay listings go for roughly $150 Canadian, which is probably 40 percent of what I bought the card for in Dec 2016.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I miss Speedfan and WinAmp...

Well, it did really whip the Llama's rear end.