Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Right now I'm running a 4-core Intel i5 3.50 mhz with 8 gigs of DDR3 ram and a GTX 760. This is, obviously, a computer I've had for a while.

My question is, let's say I add a bunch more ram and buy a new video card. To what degree is the processor and DDR3-ness of the RAM going to bottleneck me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

jkyuusai posted:

That machine is old enough where you need to be very very selective about spending money on upgrades for it.
Yeah, I know. My plan is to keep this current one in my bedroom as something that can do basic tasks and some not-too-hard games, but it's choking to death on WoW right now for god's sake. I figured I'd just buy a second SSD to use as a program files drive (right now only the OS runs on the SSD because it's 100 gigs, there's no room for anything else) and slap another 8 gigs of RAM in, that ought to be cheap and get me a lot of bang for my buck.

I was idly thinking about throwing in a new graphics card too because any <$100 budget option I could find would still kick the 760's rear end, but I also kinda think that'd be a waste of money.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

space marine todd posted:

So I'm trying to remove some stripped/difficult-to-remove Phillips screws from my case. What would be the best thing to get to achieve this? It seems like I have to get screw extractors and a drill? I dunno.
loving with magnets is dangerous, but a magnetic screwdriver might help.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Klyith posted:

Go AMD, they are spanking Intel on price/performance now. A 3600 system is ideal if you don't need CPU for renders.
Is this a widely held opinion? I've been Intel-or-bust since the Pentium days but if I'm gonna build an all-new computer, no reason for brand loyalty if AMD is flat better.