Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Is there a scenario where AIO liquid cooling is worth it? I haven't built a gaming PC in over a decade, but I'm considering diving back in when the 4th gen Ryzen and RTX 3080 arrive, and I'd like to put them in a midtower case and keep noise to a minimum. AIO wasn't really a thing last I dabbled, and I have no idea if these are a scam. I wonder if it might help the GPU breathe by freeing up internal volume that would otherwise be occupied by a big CPU cooler? But that's a total guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

sean10mm posted:

I personally would use an AIO in one of the two following extremes:

1) A small form factor PC where the airflow is poo poo and you can't even fit a decent CPU cooler otherwise.
2) Some monster devil CPU like a threadripper or an overclocked 10900K, using the biggest Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO I could fit in a big fuckoff mesh case. But even then I might juse use a Noctua D15 instead.

Otherwise just use air cooling with big, slow moving fans.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

AIOs are great for compact builds where a 120mm rad will fit but a u12 or something won't, or if for some reason you have the space for 360mm+ of radiator and don't want to make your own loop. I don't fully understand why 240s exist when a noctua D15 is quieter than most of them, but people like the aesthetics I suppose.

Thanks folks. Looks like I can squeeze a D15 into a Define 7 Compact case with 5mm to spare, so I'll probably go with that.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

And if you're playing at 1440p or above then you're likely bottlenecked by the GPU, so a CPU upgrade isn't worth waiting for.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

This post made me laugh way more than I should have. Thanks.

I think the biggest takeaway I’m getting from all this is that CPU demand for games has slowed down a lot compared to GPU demand. I stressed about it a while but I have serious doubts you’ll run into any problems with a 3700x and if anything will see games perform better if the rumoured multithreaded capabilities start getting coded into them.

I'm planning and starting to buy the parts for my Ampere machine, and I'm absolutely gonna put a 3700x in there. I'll be plugging it into a 4k display, at that resolution I don't expect the CPU to become a bottleneck for a good while. And if it does, by that time I'll be able to swap it out for a Zen 3.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MikeC posted:

Sony has custom hardware on their SSD. It isn't just the throughput speed.

They have a custom disk controller that drives the built-in SSD as well as a third party nvme drive if you choose to install one, and all it does is handle compression and cache management that would otherwise be handled by the CPU. PS5's architect confirmed this at a presentation he gave a few months ago

acksplode fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 29, 2020

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Over the last few weeks I've been accumulating parts for a new build with a 3080 shaped hole inside it, and gradually becoming resigned to the idea that getting one will be a battle. Which is great, keeping myself entertained during lockdown is why I'm here in the first place.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hello PC building megathread, I have a PC building megaproblem and I need PC building megahelp. tl;dr: I recently assembled a new 3700x/3080 gaming PC that I'm quite happy with, except that certain games seem to be causing it to hard reboot. I suddenly see a black screen, then Windows booting up like normal. Event viewer shows no errors prior to the reboot in the Windows system log. And it's only specific games where I'm seeing this: I can play some newer and demanding games for hours with no issue, then switch to a game that was released a few years ago and I'll see a reboot in under an hour, sometimes as quickly as a couple minutes. My first thought was this looks like a hardware problem with my GPU or power supply, but I've been unable to isolate such a problem. I'm at my wits end, desperately updating drivers in hopes of a fix, so I'd appreciate any suggestions for further troubleshooting steps. Below I have more details on the build, which games are causing reboots, and the troubleshooting I've done so far.

First, here's my build:

quote:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($304.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($108.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1427.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-11 13:57 EST-0500

These are games that I've played for hours at a time without a problem:

Metro Exodus
Death Stranding
Hades
Crusader Kings 3

And these are games that reliably cause reboots within an hour, sometimes as quickly as a couple minutes:

MGSV
Alien Isolation
Sekiro

This is my troubleshooting so far:

After a reboot I'll check the Windows system log in the Event Viewer, and each time it's silent for minutes before the reboot, only showing errors after the reboot that complain about the unexpected shutdown. Sounds like a power supply issue, right? So I plugged my PC into a 1000 watt UPS that displays wattage output. I can watch my PC draw ~470 watts for hours as I play Metro with vsync off and FPS uncapped, then I can load up Sekiro, which never crosses 400 watts, and I get reboots. Maybe temperature is getting too high? But I used the MSI Afterburner overlay to keep an eye on temps while playing, and the highest I ever see are 55C for the CPU and 65C for the GPU. Maybe it's bad memory? I ran memtest86 for several hours, long enough for about two and a half passes, with no errors. I've made sure that every last driver I can think of is up to date, from GPU to chipset to bluetooth, to no effect. My last guess at this point is that I have a faulty 3080 and need to RMA it, but after the pain I went through to get the thing, I'm reluctant to lose it for a couple weeks on a guess. Anyone have any ideas? :ohdear:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

hambeet posted:

Recently I was having a very similar issue and it was the RAM. I misread the QVL list and bought the wrong RAM for my motherboard, so when I ran it at it's XMP timings and put it through something intensive (eg 3d Mark or some games) it would hard reboot exactly as you described. I could only get stability by manually setting timings (I'm at 3200 CL16 instead of the sticks rated 3600 CL16).

So one thing you could try is turning off XMP and see if that stops the crashing / passes a memtest and then go from there? If not, well, at least you've possibly eliminated RAM.

Thanks, just gave this a shot. I turned XMP off and Sekiro still caused a reboot in about 2 minutes :( I appreciate the suggestion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bofast posted:

In case you still have issues with this, I had similar issues a while back and it ended up being my Vega 56 card. Swapped in an old GPU that I still had left over and the issues went away, so I got it refunded and bought a different card. No issues since.
This is what my reliability monitor looked like at the time :ohdear:

Thanks, yeah I'm still getting the random reboots :sweatdrop: I'm certain it's not the power supply or memory at this point, so I think I'm gonna try to RMA my 3080 while I have a shiny new PS5 to distract me.