Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Over the last few weeks, I've been doing some research into building a PC in the next month or two. Pretty settled on building around an AMD processor + Nvidia 2080 Super.

I'm looking for a quiet and simple case that's built around containing the noise. Any recommendations?

How is the reputation of the "be quiet!" brand? And do some cases already come with the fans?

What is the benefit of having an option to invert the motherboard installation as seen in the pictures here with the graphics card installed on top? https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/1517

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

TheFluff posted:

Are you planning on having hard drives in your build, or just SSD's? If you don't have hard drives, the somewhat counter-intuitive way to get low noise is to buy a case with good airflow (mesh front panel, etc) and fit as many and as big fans as you can. Having big fans with little airflow restrictions lets you move a lot of air at very low RPM, which ends up being quieter than making slow fans work hard inside a closed-off case. GamersNexus has done quite a bit of testing on this if you're interested.

Just SSD's. How does have regular hard drives inhibit having a case with good airflow?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Considering the Asus X570-E Motherboard (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-E-Gaming/) + Fractal Design Define R6 case (https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-r6-usb-c-tempered-glass/blackout/)

I want to buy 3 x 120mm fans for the front of the case and 1 x 140mm for the exhaust in the back of the case while moving the three fans it came with -> 1 on the bottom and 2 on the top. Can someone tell me how the fan connection works in this case? I know that the R6 case comes with a fan hub in the back of the case but I'm not 100% clear on how it works. The CPU cooler I want is the be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

The fan hub works by taking the output from one of your motherboard's fan headers and replicating the signal to all the fans that are connected to the hub. You modify the speed of the fans connected to the hub by modifying the motherboard's fan header signal. All the fans connected to the hub will run at the same speed/voltage.

I would connect the CPU fan onto the motherboard's CPU fan header, then have the case fans plugged into the hub.

(Also that's a lot of fans, are you watercooling with a bunch of radiators or something? e. no you've got an air cooler, duh. Why so many fans?)

Thank you! That's very clear. And no idea why so many fans, I just thought that was a good number? Do you recommend any fans to exhaust air on top or anything other than the intake / exhaust fans in the front and back of the case? Maybe just 3 on the front, 1 on the back, and 1 on top?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Pretty stumped on which mother board to go for. I'm looking to build my PC around an AMD Ryzen 3700X + Nvidia 2080 Super + Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2 SSD + Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-3600. I want my motherboard to have WiFi, Bluetooth, at least 2x M2 slots (preferably 3) for my SSD and potential expansion, a connection to use my USB-C connection at the front of my Fractal Design R6 USB-C case. I don't mind paying extra to not have to replace it for a long time either. I read about some motherboards supporting the new extremely expensive Ryzen Threadripper?

I was looking at the ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING but open for other options too. Seems like from the reviews of the ASUS that it's not the best.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Here's the build that I've decided upon after a few weeks of research. Any critiques of it will be greatly appreciated as I'm still new to this! It will be used for gaming in 1440p 144hz/165hz. Flexible with budget and don't mind paying a premium for an extra feature.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€315.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (€291.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€179.89 @ Alternate)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€177.99 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card (€849.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case (€156.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€177.61 @ Mindfactory)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan (€29.89 @ ARLT)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG279QZ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor
Total: €2249.01 (Does not include price of OS or Monitor)

I plan on doing an open layout with the Fractal Design Define R6 case and the extra case fan will be installed on the Noctua UH-12S.

Few questions:
  1. With the Asus X570-E Gaming Motherboard, I see that it has its own personal cooling method for the 2 x M2 ports - is one port more preferable to install my NVMe M2 SSD in?
  2. For the Windows OS installation, I know that I'm supposed to install the Windows installation media on a USB stick and boot from there - I looked on Amazon and there are many sellers selling Windows 10 Pro keys for really cheap, is this legit?
Thank you!

Scruff McGruff posted:

The Aorus X570 Elite (wifi) is probably your best option, it and the Asus X570 Gaming TUF are generally considered the best value boards in X570 and it fills all your requirements. Also, any mobo that supports Threadripper will not be compatible with a 3700x, they use very different sockets (AM4 vs TR4).

Thanks for the recommendation. After reading more reviews, I decided to stick with the Asus X570-E Gaming

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 14, 2020

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Dumb question but it's safe to use a magnet tip screw driver and a magnetic bowl when building a PC? The magnets won't screw anything up?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I will be building my PC with the Fractal Design Meshify S2 case which comes with 3 x Dynamic X2-GP-14 fans installed (Non-PWM I'm assuming since it does not mention it in the title).

I want to install one additional 140mm fan in the front of the case for a total of 3 x 140mm fans as an intake and 1 x 140mm fan in the back as an exhaust. 

This case comes with a Nexus + PWM fan hub which provides short circuit protection and advanced power regulation and it can handle up to six 3-pin fans on the left and up to three 4-pin PWM fans on the right.

In addition, I will have the Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler + purchasing one additional NF-F12 PWM fan to add to the heatsink. 

3 x Dynamic X2-GP-14 140mm fans
1 x Noctua or BeQuiet 140mm fan (Not sure whether to get 3 pin or PWM) 
2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans for the CPU cooler 

Considering my motherboard as the Asus X570-E Gaming, how do I best utilize the fan hub that comes with the case? 

1) I'm assuming I need to purchase a y-cable that makes it possible to run two 4-pin PWM fans on a single fan header for the CPU fans which I will connect directly to the motherboard and not the fan hub on the case 

2) Do I directly install the 4 x 140mm fans to the fan hub? What if 3 x 3-pin and 1 x 4-pin, how do I go about this? 

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Thank you for your help - that really answers the lingering question I had. So from what I'll think I'll do is just get an additional 140mm 3-pin fan and have the 4 x 140mm fans connected to the 2 x Chassis fan connector on my motherboard with a Y-splitter. Does it matter if there are two different fans connected to one chassis fan connector with a splitter though? If I decide to upgrade in the future the fans in the case, I'll consider using the PWM hub.

Here's my current build. I decided to go with the NH U12S because I like the design and it's not as big as the other options that are available. I don't intend to do any OC'ing in the meantime so I figured it would be a good setup for now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (€349.00 @ Alternate)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (€299.00 @ Alternate)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€182.27 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€180.99 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card (€849.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case (€151.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€176.68 @ Mindfactory)
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (€495.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €2755.71

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Stickman posted:

Motherboard: The X570-E is very expensive and 3rd-gen Ryzen just doesn't have enough overclocking headroom to justify over-engineered VRM. If you don't mind losing the rear usb-c port, the Asus Aorus Elite will save you €95 and you'll still have the front usb-c port. If you absolutely must have both for some reason, the Asus Prime Pro still saves a good amount of money. If you don't care about the extra M.2 slot, you might even want to drop down to a Tomahawk MAX.

Power Supply: The dark power pro is a good power supply, but the S2 already has decent sound dampening so a psu like the Corsair RMX would be totally sufficient while also netting you an extra 5 years of warranty, a fully modular supply, and €75. Platinum is a very minor efficiency gain over gold.

Thank you so much - that's all very helpful.

The reason why I chose the Asus X570-E Gaming is that it also comes with WiFi / Bluetooth + the front USB-C Panels. I will go over the suggestions that you made.

However, regarding the above motherboard, I heard that many X570 motherboards comes with an extra 4 pin ATX connector that is needed if one decides to extreme OC? I don't have plans to do that but I would like a PSU that can provide the motherboard with this extra power if necessary. Does either the Dark Power Pro or the Corsair you recommended have this ability? Is it even necessary to have something connected to the extra 4 pin ATX connector?

And I read that the BeQuiet PSU is not fully modular because the one necessary cable is connected to the PSU itself - so is there much of a difference between that and the Corsair?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 28, 2020

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Stickman posted:

The extra 4-pin connector isn't necessary unless you're doing extreme overclocking - the 8-pin is plenty for even a decent overclock (and with 3rd-gen it's really not worth bothering anyway). Both the Dark Power and the Corsair are 750W supplies and both have the extra EPS cable. Honestly, a 650W would be fine even with an overclock on the 2080 Ti so 750W is more than plenty.

Thanks for your help. I've gone ahead and decided to get the Corsair PSU instead and use the money I saved to upgrade the case fans to 4 x Noctua NF-A14's. My plan is to connect the 4 PWM case fans to the PWM Hub that comes with the Fractal Design case with the Hub being connected to the chassis fan connector of the motherboard and the CPU fan into CPU fan connector.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've completed my build and ordered the parts so thank you everyone here for your help and input. Now I have some quick questions regarding the initial build and setup that I am hoping you can help me with.

Thanks everyone so far for the help. I've ordered my parts and I should get it within the next day or two. In the meantime, I have a few questions I wanted to clear up:

1) I'm still not 100% clear on which cables from the PSU to plug in. My understanding is the following - am I missing anything?

* Plug in the 24 pin ATX cable, 8 pin ATX cable, and the 4 pin ATX cable to the motherboard
* Plug in the 2 x 8 pin PCIe cable to the GPU
* Plug in the Fractal Design PWM fan hub into the PSU SATA

2) In addition to the above cables from the PSU, I need to plug in the following to the motherboard:

* Front IO header to the various places in the mother board
* 2 x CPU cooler fans into the CPU fan and CPU fan OPT plug in the mother board
* Plug the 4 x Noctua 140mm case fans into the Fractal Design PWM fan hub and plug the fan hub into an empty Chassis fan connector

3) Once everything is set up, boot into bios and set to boot from USB stick with my Windows OS image on it

4) Once that is set up, plug in the ethernet, download and install all Windows drivers

5) Download latest drivers for GPU (clean install) and everything on my motherboard - BIOS, chipset, ethernet etc.

6) Adjust BIOS settings to get correct speed with ram (XMP) and adjust settings in Nvidia control panel to get better performance

7) Set up correct refresh rate for my monitor

Am I missing anything here?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Klyith posted:

0) Assemble basic components -- mobo, CPU, ram, GPU, power & monitor -- on a tabletop before putting everything into the case for a test run. Big heatsinks are easier to put on outside the case anyways. And knowing everything works before it goes into the case can save lots of troubleshooting time later (because you know that it was your assembly that messed up not a component).

4a) Turn off drivers via windows update so that you can install latest drivers yourself and not get the DCH drivers. (Also a good time to turn off telemetry crap).

So I took a lot of what I originally wrote from this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYoCXh2gtw

He specifically states it's better to have Windows install all the drivers since many of the drivers are required to install the most up-to-date ones. (See 12m40s of the video)

And then once everything is installed, he goes to the Nvidia website to do a clean install of the latest driver.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Built my new PC - went through Windows Update, also installed Nvidia Graphics Drivers + Flashed the BIOS + installed AMD Chipset Driver. Am I missing anything else that's important to update?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I have this monitor - LG 27GL850 27'' UltraGear Nano IPS 1ms Gaming Monitor with G-Sync Compatibility - https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27GL850-gaming-monitor (Plugged in to my 2080 Super)

I want to buy a cheap 27 inch monitor to use as a second monitor while continuing to use the above monitor as my main desktop / gaming monitor. Planning on using the second one to browse on the internet while watching Netflix.

Will I have any impact on gaming performance on my main monitor if I install a second one? If the cheaper 2nd monitor has a different refresh rate and resolution, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So every input on the front IO Panel of my case (Fractal Design) works except for the mic input. I bought a splitter for my headphones and my computer recognizes the mic but it's just static when I try to record or speak. If I plug the headphones + splitter into the back of my motherboard, it works perfectly.

I've tried reconnecting the connection between the front panel to the motherboard and nothing seems to work. I've reached out to Fractal Design to see what they say.

What are my options? I have a pair of Bose QC35II headphones that I would like to use for gaming without having to buy a set of gaming headphones. It has a mic on it but it does not work when it's connected to the computer through Bluetooth (audio goes into mono mode apparently from what I read online). So I purchased a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable that includes a mic along with a splitter. However, I would also like to continue to use my computer speakers sometimes to.

1) Are there computer speakers with a mic input as well so I can plug my splitter into it?
2) Should I get a audio switch? I remember having a Planatronics one back in the day.
3) Is there a different adapter I can purchase for my headphones that will make it work without having to disconnect my computer speakers to use?
4) I do have an audio input thing in the back of my monitor. Maybe I can plug my computer speakers into that and then my headset into the back of my monitor?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 5, 2020

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I built my PC a few months ago and a few times now, when I return my PC from stand by my keyboard / mouse does not work so I am not able to login - ultimately leading me to have to reset the computer at the login screen.

I've unplugged my keyboard and plugged it into the different USB slots and it doesn't work. Anyone know what this issue might be?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

I think I installed something like that.... how would I check my current driver version? Would it be under Processors in Device Manager? If so, my AMD Ryzen 7 3800x driver version is 10.0.18362.693 (Driver date: 21-Apr-09)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Klyith posted:

It'd be in your add/remove programs list if you installed the package. The drivers themselves are obscure stuff that's not easy to check in driver manager.

(Which reminds me that I need to update mine. You don't need to religiously update the chipset drivers, but doing it 2-3 times per year is good.)

I just checked and all I see is AMD Software. So how does this AMD chipset driver - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 differ from the AMD chipset driver for my motherboard? https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-E-Gaming/HelpDesk_Download/